Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

HH Favorite Rock Album Sweet 16 (1991 to present) - #2 Dirt vs #6 Ten

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

HH Favorite Rock Album Sweet 16 (1991 to present) - #2 Dirt vs #6 Ten 28 votes

2) Alice In Chains – Dirt
64%
Fire_Marshall_BillSwayeRoadDawg55Mad_SonAtomicDawgdncchuckdfleaBad_MotherDuckerGrundleStiltzkinhuskyhooliganWilliams3LaocoönBleachedAnusDawgLesGrossmanRDRJoeEDangerouslyNoWarningJustDawg 18 votes
6) Pearl Jam – Ten
35%
DerekJohnsonRaceBannonwhlinderalumni94Tequillabiak1pawzYellowSnowEl_KFishpo31 10 votes

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    This shouldn't be close
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam – Ten
    dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

Don't underestimate the "classic rock" vote here.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

"Shouldn't" does not equal "won't".
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam – Ten

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,709
    Founders Club
    6) Pearl Jam – Ten
    very difficult choice
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2020
    I don't understand the appeal of PJ. They're the Journey...or maybe the Doobie Brothers...of hard rock.

The grunge era never came close to equaling Dirt. The entire hard rock, or heavy metal, or whatever umbrella label you think AIC falls into, has rarely equaled it in its entire history.

Edit...You know, Journey and the Doobie Brothers didn't rely on inserted syllables, grunts, and drawn out mumbling to make the lyrics fit the melodies. I shouldn't have insulted them with that comparison.
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

I don't understand the appeal of PJ. They're the Journey...or maybe the Doobie Brothers...of hard rock.

The grunge era never came close to equaling Dirt. The entire hard rock, or heavy metal, or whatever umbrella label you think AIC falls into, has rarely equaled it in its entire history.

I first heard AiC on the KISW New Music Hour (rip) in 1989 or 1990, with a booter of Queen of the Rodeo. Hooked. I bought Facelift when it was released. However, there's a lot of AiC songs I just don't like that much. But that's just a taste preference. Their musicianship is undeniable, with the vocals being the biggest differentiator.

chuck said:

I first heard AiC on the KISW New Music Hour (rip) in 1989 or 1990, with a booter of Queen of the Rodeo. Hooked. I bought Facelift when it was released. However, there's a lot of AiC songs I just don't like that much. But that's just a taste preference. Their musicianship is undeniable, with the vocals being the biggest differentiator.
    Yep Layne and Jerry's harmonies are next level. It's what sets them apart from anything else in the era.
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

Nothing makes one feel old like turning the dial to 102.5 and hearing Metallica and Pearl Jam.
    In 1993, PJ held a band meeting and decided: Look, Credence is cleaning up on shit from 25 years ago. We don't need to wait. We can be Credence now.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam – Ten

dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

Nothing makes one feel old like turning the dial to 102.5 and hearing Metallica and Pearl Jam.
    In 1993, PJ held a band meeting and decided: Look, Credence is cleaning up on shit from 25 years ago. We don't need to wait. We can be Credence now.
    Hey man, I love the Black Crowes and the first 4 PJ albums. Classic rock is eternal.
    Standard Supporter

chuck said:

PS, I felt cheated back in the day that the cancelrific Queen of the Rodeo wasn't on Facelift.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2020
    6) Pearl Jam – Ten
    dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

very difficult choice

dnc said:

chuck said:

Yep Layne and Jerry's harmonies are next level. It's what sets them apart from anything else in the era.
    PJ is my all-tim favorite. Especially when you go deep into their live shows which transcends anything overplayed on the radio. I would argue that McCready's riffs are equal to the vocals of Layne & Jerry.

With all that said, I've been listening to a TON of AIC (and Mad Season) recently.

This could have easily been the #1 v #2 v #3 (including Nevermind), imo

Edit: I just read the OG Tournament thread. Explains a lot that bully @dnc has PJ ranked #38562638. Haters gonna hate.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I enjoy seeing PJ get bludgeoned by AiC
    edited October 2020
    pawz said:

dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

very difficult choice

dnc said:

chuck said:

PJ is my all-tim favorite. Especially when you go deep into their live shows which transcends anything overplayed on the radio. I would argue that McCready's riffs are equal to the vocals of Layne & Jerry.

With all that said, I've been listening to a TON of AIC (and Mad Season) recently.

Edit: I just read the OG Tournament thread. Explains a lot that bully @dnc has PJ ranked #38562638. Haters gonna hate.
    Uhhh I was really kind to Ten in the seedings. It finished in a four way tie for third in it's own year, yet I brought Ten into the field and left the other three it tied with out. I gave it the third highest seed of all the non winners in the bracket, behind only The Black Album (which got more votes than Ten did in the 91 pole and had to rank ahead of it) and Superunkown.

And I voted for Ten over The Black Album when they went head to head.

I was very respectful of Ten's place here.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam – Ten
    dnc said:

pawz said:

dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

very difficult choice

dnc said:

chuck said:

Uhhh I was really kind to Ten in the seedings. It finished in a four way tie for third in it's own year, yet I brought Ten into the field and left the other three it tied with out. I gave it the third highest seed of all the non winners in the bracket, behind only The Black Album (which got more votes than Ten did in the 91 pole and had to rank ahead of it) and Superunkown.

@dnc walking a mile in my shoes.
    edited October 2020

dnc said:

pawz said:

dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

very difficult choice

dnc said:

chuck said:

@dnc walking a mile in my shoes.
    A mile on these legs is a lot further than a mile on yours
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    6) Pearl Jam – Ten
    dnc said:

pawz said:

dnc said:

This shouldn't be close

very difficult choice

dnc said:

chuck said:

I was very respectful of Ten's place here
    Now you're just gaslighting me, Bully.