Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

HH Favorite Rock Album Round 2 (1991- present) - #3 Black Album vs #6 Ten

2»

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    3) Metallica – The Black Album

First cd I ever bought was Pearl Jam. This was after hearing kids on the bus talking about them and Nirvana and I had no clue what was going on. It's an ok album, but I don't think it has aged well and I never bought another Pearl Jam album after that.

An aside. I went to a tennis exhibition with Federer at Key Arena a few years back and the guitar player from Pearl Jam played the anthem. What a mediocre guitar player.

Pretty much. Like DJ, Ten holds a more nostalgic place than a repeater for me. Even at the tim, I only really dug a few songs from the album. Never liked 'Jeremy.' After Ten, PJ skipped ahead 20 years to make KZOK ready throwback rock.

ATBS, Black Album sssssuuucccckkksss. I didn't leave Metallica, they left me. Compare Enter Sandman to For Whom the Bell Tolls or Sanitarium. It's beneath them.
    Flip side to that is the Black Album was also a gateway album for young kids like me who were 4 years old when MoP came out to work backwards through the rest of their albums.
    Great point. I was old enough but missed early Metallica when it was new. The easy to digest, hard rock on the Black Album caught my ear and made me curious enough to try Master of Puppets and Justice and then go from there.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    Did Metallica ever do a free concert at Magnuson Park? I didn't think so. Also Seattle >>>> San Francisco
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2020
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten

First cd I ever bought was Pearl Jam. This was after hearing kids on the bus talking about them and Nirvana and I had no clue what was going on. It's an ok album, but I don't think it has aged well and I never bought another Pearl Jam album after that.

An aside. I went to a tennis exhibition with Federer at Key Arena a few years back and the guitar player from Pearl Jam played the anthem. What a mediocre guitar player.

Pretty much. Like DJ, Ten holds a more nostalgic place than a repeater for me. Even at the tim, I only really dug a few songs from the album. Never liked 'Jeremy.' After Ten, PJ skipped ahead 20 years to make KZOK ready throwback rock.

ATBS, Black Album sssssuuucccckkksss. I didn't leave Metallica, they left me. Compare Enter Sandman to For Whom the Bell Tolls or Sanitarium. It's beneath them.
    This is all true. I only upvoted this instead of chinning it so that maybe @Swaye won't scalp me and burn my wagon.

My sister-in-law loved the Black Album - and that right there is enough to let me know it isn't actual Metallica music.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,071
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    A lot of great songs on that album

1. "Enter Sandman"
    2. "Sad but True"
    4. "The Unforgiven"
    5. "Wherever I May Roam"
    7. "Through the Never"
    8. "Nothing Else Matters"
    9. "Of Wolf and Man"
    10. "The God That Failed"
    11. "My Friend of Misery"
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    It's the 1984 of Metallica albums.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    Mad_Son said:

A lot of great songs on that album

1. "Enter Sandman"
    2. "Sad but True"
    4. "The Unforgiven"
    5. "Wherever I May Roam"
    7. "Through the Never"
    8. "Nothing Else Matters"
    9. "Of Wolf and Man"
    10. "The God That Failed"
    11. "My Friend of Misery"

Holy shit.

Thanks for reminding me.

It’s worse than I remembered.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    Ten clinging to one point lead. Poles close tonight at 8.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

It's the 1984 of Metallica albums.

Except it isn't synth dominated and there are actual music people playing musical instruments. 1984 is basically the Beverly Hills Cop theme to my ear.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    Ten wins 15-14. Poles are closed.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    PJ was always my speed growing up compared to Nirvana ... Cobain always bothered me growing up because you knew how that story was going to end

Ten is just solid for me ... when I’m in the right mood PJ hits the right notes

I also can’t argue with anybody that says PJ isn’t their cup of tea ... totally see that

I like Metallica songs but don’t really have it in me for their albums
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,676
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    Swaye said:

How was this even close? Pearl Jam is fucking awful.

Back to the res with you. Here have a blanket. It's on the house.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,676
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten

Absolutely this.

How this pole is even close is beyond me.