Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

HH Favorite Rock Album Round 2 (1991- present) - #3 Black Album vs #6 Ten

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

HH Favorite Rock Album Round 2 (1991- present) - #3 Black Album vs #6 Ten 30 votes

3) Metallica – The Black Album
46%
RaceBannonFire_Marshall_BillSwayeMad_SonAtomicDawgYouKnowItGladstonechuckBad_MotherDuckerIPukeOregonGrellowLaocoönBleachedAnusDawgLesGrossmanJoeEDangerously 14 votes
6) Pearl Jam - Ten
53%
DerekJohnsonwhlinderRoadDawg55dncalumni94dfleaTequillabiak1pawzGrundleStiltzkinhuskyhooliganWilliams3YellowSnowEl_KNoWarningJustDawgFishpo31 16 votes

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    meh
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten

Vedder's vocal style gave rise to dog shit like Creed.

True.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I remember watching a decent doc series on the history of metal where they mocked that vocal style and called it the "yarl". Creed was one of the bands they mocked for copying it.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten

True but not really Vedder's fault people bought into post grunge.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    How was this even close? Pearl Jam is fucking awful.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

Never been a big PJ fan but Ten is really good IMO.

I love the old Mother Love Bone guys, just could do without Vedder.

Damn shame Andy had to die or we wouldn't have to worry about PJ or Vedder.
    * Le’Andrew
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten

dnc said:

Swaye said:

I don't hate Eddie and I like PJ's first 4 albums quite a bit. I just tend to judge folks who grew up in Seattle and think they are the GOAT. They are most certainly not.
    I feel like PJ is generally more beloved outside of Seattle than inside. Only Seattleite I know of who was obsessed with PJ was Steve Kelley, which FTG. Obviously I've been gone a long time. Is this really a thing?
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

I don't hate Eddie and I like PJ's first 4 albums quite a bit. I just tend to judge folks who grew up in Seattle and think they are the GOAT. They are most certainly not.
    I feel like PJ is generally more beloved outside of Seattle than inside. Only Seattleite I know of who was obsessed with PJ was Steve Kelley, which FTG. Obviously I've been gone a long time. Is this really a thing?
    Not a fan boi, I came late to the grunge thing, and PJ was my entry to it. Like Yella, I really like the first 4 albums, drifted off after. Have had limited social interactions with a few of them, they came off (for me) as very humble and regular people. I think that the love for them can be summed up with: they didn't leave Seattle after they hit; nobody died (except the first four drummers); and, they still really bring it live.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Guess my experience was different. So many of my Seattle native peer group were YUGE Pearl Jam guysm.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My friend played a pickup hoops game in the U District with Eddie Vedder, someone else from the band, and Matt Dillon when they were filming Singles. He said Dillon never said much but the other guys were cool as hell.

I've always felt that way about PJ too from interviews etc and the fact that they're pals with Neil. They seem like good guys.. I hate most of their music though, mainly because of Vedder's vocals.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2020
    First cd I ever bought was Pearl Jam. This was after hearing kids on the bus talking about them and Nirvana and I had no clue what was going on. It's an ok album, but I don't think it has aged well and I never bought another Pearl Jam album after that.

An aside. I went to a tennis exhibition with Federer at Key Arena a few years back and the guitar player from Pearl Jam played the anthem. What a mediocre guitar player.

Edit: Also remembered that I bought the Black Album on cassette and wore that shit out playing Enter Sandman and Sad But True.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten

First cd I ever bought was Pearl Jam. This was after hearing kids on the bus talking about them and Nirvana and I had no clue what was going on. It's an ok album, but I don't think it has aged well and I never bought another Pearl Jam album after that.

An aside. I went to a tennis exhibition with Federer at Key Arena a few years back and the guitar player from Pearl Jam played the anthem. What a mediocre guitar player.

Edit: Also remembered that I bought the Black Album on cassette and wore that shit out playing Enter Sandman and Sad But True.

I went to a home game last year where he played the national anthem. I think we lost.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    6) Pearl Jam - Ten

Pretty much. Like DJ, Ten holds a more nostalgic place than a repeater for me. Even at the tim, I only really dug a few songs from the album. Never liked 'Jeremy.' After Ten, PJ skipped ahead 20 years to make KZOK ready throwback rock.

ATBS, Black Album sssssuuucccckkksss. I didn't leave Metallica, they left me. Compare Enter Sandman to For Whom the Bell Tolls or Sanitarium. It's beneath them.
    Metallica has always been about the green backs and that's what the Black Album is.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Pretty much. Like DJ, Ten holds a more nostalgic place than a repeater for me. Even at the tim, I only really dug a few songs from the album. Never liked 'Jeremy.' After Ten, PJ skipped ahead 20 years to make KZOK ready throwback rock.

ATBS, Black Album sssssuuucccckkksss. I didn't leave Metallica, they left me. Compare Enter Sandman to For Whom the Bell Tolls or Sanitarium. It's beneath them.
    Flip side to that is the Black Album was also a gateway album for young kids like me who were 4 years old when MoP came out to work backwards through the rest of their albums.