Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This Day in Music October 9

1940 - John Lennon
John Lennon singer, songwriter, guitarist, The Beatles who have sold over 20m singles in the UK (1962-1970), and scored more UK & US No.1 albums than any other group. Their 1967 Sgt. Pepper is the UK's biggest selling album ever. In 1990 Lennon's song 'Imagine' was played simultaneously in 130 countries to commemorate what would've been Lennon's 50th birthday. He was shot dead in New York by Mark Chapman on 8th December 1980.

1944 - John Entwistle
English bass guitarist, singer, songwriter John Entwistle from The Who, (nicknamed The Ox). The Who scored the 1965 UK No.2 single 'My Generation' plus over 20 other UK Top 40 hits, as well as 16 US Top 40 singles. In the early days of The Who, once the lineup had stabilised and it was settled that Roger Daltrey was to be the front man, Entwistle started to dye his fair hair black, and continued to so do until the 1980s. Entwistle died in Las Vegas on 27th June 2002, one day before the scheduled first show of The Who's US tour.

1944 - Nona Hendryx
Nona Hendryx, Labelle, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.17, single 'Lady Marmalade').

1949 - Rod Temperton
English songwriter, record producer, and musician Rod Temperton who initially made his mark as the keyboardist and main songwriter for the R&B funk/disco band Heatwave. Temperton was recruited by Quincy Jones to write songs for Michael Jackson, including 'Thriller', 'Off the Wall', and 'Rock with You'. Temperton died from cancer in 2016.

1954 - James Fearnley
James Fearnley, accordion, from Irish-British Celtic punk band The Pogues who scored the 1987 UK No.8 single 'The Irish Rover'.

1957 - Ini Kamoze
Ini Kamoze, born Cecil Campbell, (1995 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Here Comes The Hotstepper’).

1973 - Terry Balsamo
Terry Balsamo, guitarist, with American rock band Evanescence who had the 2003 UK No.1 & US No.5 single ‘Bring Me To Life’, and the 2003 UK No.1 & US No.3 album Fallen.

1975 - Sean Lennon
Sean Taro Ono Lennon was born, the only child of John Lennon by Yoko Ono. John Lennon retired from music for five years to become a house-husband. Sean went on to become a singer, songwriter, musician and actor.

1961 - Ray Charles
Ray Charles started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hit The Road Jack', it reached No.6 on the UK chart.

1971 - The Who
The Who played a small, low-key show at the University of Surrey, Guildford, with guest John Sebastian joining in on harmonica on ‘Magic Bus’ ‘ the only outside musician ever to jam with The Who on stage. Backstage, the group celebrated John Entwistle’s 27th birthday.

1971 - Rod Stewart
Rod Stewart was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Maggie May', (first released as a B side to 'Reason To Believe'). The first of six UK No.1's for Stewart, spent five weeks at the top of the chart.

1973 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley and Priscilla divorced after six years of marriage. Priscilla was awarded property, $725,000 cash and $4,200 a month support.

1981 - The Rolling Stones
During a North American tour The Rolling Stones played the first of two nights at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, California. Support act was Prince, who dressed in his controversial bikini briefs and trench coat ran off stage after 15 minutes due to the crowd booing and throwing beer cans at him.

1993 - Nirvana
Nirvana entered the US album chart at No.1 with 'In Utero', their third and final studio album. Kurt Cobain had originally wanted to name the album 'I Hate Myself and I Want to Die.'