Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Time to Embarrass Yourself Again!!! Predict UW's 2020 team record!!!

Comments

• BreadBread Member Posts: 3,967
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

OP, it's a six game season + bowl game.

I thought it was 6 game regular season plus the championship game. The 10 other midgets of the Pac-12 will also play that day.
    Yeah, CCG, too. That's the 7th game on the schedule, but we? aren't making that.
    Are they waiting to schedule games for non-CCG teams until later? I'm just going off of the shitty picture our crack AD put out.

I thought there was something about seeding the non-CCG teams to give everyone 1 more game but fuck me if that's right.
    So your telling me we have a shot at losing to cal twice this season?
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020
    5-3

Bread said:

I thought it was 6 game regular season plus the championship game. The 10 other midgets of the Pac-12 will also play that day.
    Yeah, CCG, too. That's the 7th game on the schedule, but we? aren't making that.
    Are they waiting to schedule games for non-CCG teams until later? I'm just going off of the shitty picture our crack AD put out.

I thought there was something about seeding the non-CCG teams to give everyone 1 more game but fuck me if that's right.

edit, wrong nacho poast.

I'm that, that was pretty good, but not Bolton level.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    5-3
    Losses to Cal and Oregon.

Loss in whatever bowl they play in.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    8-0
    thechatch said:

Don't think Garbers and that offense are anywhere near pulling off 3 in a row when the first two games they needed a pick six and a 1 minute drive *with* a very good defense that has just graduated.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    haie said:

thechatch said:

Don't think Garbers and that offense are anywhere near pulling off 3 in a row when the first two games they needed a pick six and a 1 minute drive *with* a very good defense that has just graduated.
    What part of superior culture do you not understand?
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    0-0

All games this season are exhibition games.
  • AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    2-5
    Come in second in the NW Championship beating WSU and OSU.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    7-1

Bread said:

edit, wrong nacho poast.

I'm that, that was pretty good, but not Bolton level.
    Huh?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    8-0
    Not sure what Jimmy Lake did to deserve the layout of the schedule the way that he got it, but he should be incredibly thankful as the Holiday season came early.

Before getting to each game, there are a couple of really important items that I think become massive talking points to the 2020 season for UW:

1) This is as deep, talented, and experienced of a team as anybody in the P12

2) New coach/staff narrative is a tad overblown in this case given that the new head coach was promoted from within and effectively the balance of the coaching staff has continuity

3) There is strong motivation for both coaches and players alike ... for players, getting picked 6th in the conference should be viewed as a massive slap in the face (which is additional fuel on top of a disappointing 8-5 year last year) ... for the coaches they've had their ass handed to them on the recruiting trail and one of the most important ways for them to turn that narrative will be on the field

With that, onto the games:

@ Cal: Win (UW wins 31-17)

There are a couple very significant issues that I see going into this game: 1) UW is a deeper team and 2) Cal's will start practicing ??? ... if there is one thing that has been very evident as programs have returned to the field this year is that they have been various shades of rusty to start the year. I'll chalk a lot of that up to inability to effectively scrimmage to start the season and not having the early season cupcake to start the year that can hide some of the initial growing pains.

This will be a close game for a half but I suspect that after halftime UW's superior depth will come to the forefront and result in UW pulling away at the end. Cal's defense lost some pieces and the reality is that there will be some guessing as to what the UW's offense will look like. Offensively, Garbers is tough but even in their victories the last 2 years those wins were not due to Cal's offense and instead tied to their defense. Cal will get in the 17-20 point range again ... but the difference this year will be UW's got more weapons on offense to use and Cal's defense is taking a relative step backwards.

Oregon St: Win (UW wins 38-20)

I'm not going to sit here and say that Oregon St is trash because they showed last year that they've upped their competitive game. That being said, UW's got way more talent and as mentioned above, that quantity of talent is really going to show itself out over the first couple of weeks in the season in particular. This should be a comfortable win.

Arizona: Win (UW wins 45-17)

My thoughts about Kevin Sumlin are well known ... I think he's terrible. The program at Arizona has declined since he got there and looking at their schedule this year I really question where they are going to get a win. Their start to the season is Utah, USC, and Washington ... congratulations. After Week 3 will they even give a shit about the rest of the season? This game will be ugly.

A couple of other side notes that I think are important to point out after 3 games: 1) arguably couldn't draw up better opponents in Week 2-3 than what UW got as it will provide further opportunities for the offense to work out kinks and find it's identity and 2) having the ability to have a blow out leading into a short week against Wazzu will be really important.

@ Washington St: Win (UW wins 31-20)

I really have no clue what to think of the Cougs this year. There are a lot of people thinking that there's going to be a transition away from Leach but I'm not so convinced because Rolovich plays a similar up tempo, spread everybody out, let's score points game. The big difference I see with Rolovich vs Leach is that Rolovich understands way better than Leach ever did that beating Washington matters. So I expect to get the Cougs best effort and depending on how their early season goes could see them looking at prioritizing this game. The other thing that will be interesting is that Rolovich's offense will run the football at a far greater clip than what Leach did ... so that should be interesting to watch.

But in the end, UW effectively throttled him last year when with Hawaii and the talent gap is still what it is. The reality is that Apple Cup's are typically played in iffy at best weather and UW's ability to just line up and run it down the Cougs throats is what it is until it isn't.

Stanford: Win (UW wins 24-20)

Now we get to the fun stuff ...

Stanford will be a better team than they were last year and I don't think the large number of opt outs that they've had is necessarily a bad thing for them. It's a program that felt like it was fairly stale and some of their upperclass players were just biding their time. Turning some of the roster over to younger guys that have something to grow into worries me a little bit. And the reality is that Stanford's youth got a lot of experience last year.

I expect a hard and physical game. It's going to be fairly even. The difference honestly may come down to the fact that UW is playing at home. It will be a very interesting game to see how UW's younger players react to the first really difficult pressure situation that most of them will face where you're deep in a season against a good opponent with expectations going into the game.

@ Oregon: Win (UW wins 31-28)

The only team I'd have rather played first besides Cal was Oregon. It can not be understated how much Oregon lost on the OL ... while true Oregon will have 5 games in at that point, the lack of experience on that line really is concerning. Moreover, Oregon's breaking in a new QB behind that new OL. And finally, Oregon's entire offense is really predicated on running the football ... which could be interesting given the circumstances.

The reality is that this is a rivalry game and it's going to be some tough sledding regardless. I suspect Oregon will play their best game of the season. But I honestly feel that UW holds advantages over Oregon at all levels. At QB, Sirmon and Slough are in the same class and Sirmon was the better recruit (confirmed when you look at the video). I don't feel like Oregon's going to have greater talent on the OL than UW and UW has more returning experience. Skill talent is a push at best. Both have tremendous defenses. UW's biggest potential weakness in my mind is on the interior DL and that's more because of inexperience than talent. Finally, UW's generally got an advantage in the kicking game.

If there's one thing that I feel like I don't have to question with Jimmy Lake is that unlike Pete who really treated every game as if it was the same (perhaps a slight lean to prioritizing the Apple Cup), I feel like Jimmy knows that the game he needs to prioritize is Oregon.

P12 Championship Game: Win (UW wins 27-20)

I really don't know who is going to win the South but I could very easily see USC, ASU, and Utah all finish 5-1 with losses to each other on the road. How or what the tiebreakers look like is still TBD from the conference. Regardless, that should earn UW that game at home for the conference title and that should be enough to win. If SC or ASU, I think playing a mid-December night game will be a significant advantage. If Utah, I just feel like we've long held that little bit of an advantage over them from a talent standpoint.

Bowl Game: Rose Bowl vs Minnesota/Wisconsin (UW wins 31-20)

The P12 is fooling themselves if they think a 7-0 conference champion is going to be invited to the CFP ... not enough data points. It's going to be the usual suspects (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Georgia). But that's actually good for UW because it should result in a B10 West school getting the Rose Bowl invite and that becomes a significantly more winnable game than what we've had on the big stage over the last 4 years (Alabama, Penn St, Ohio St, and Auburn).

I know I've long been on the record saying that getting a CFP berth is far better than winning a NY6 or Rose Bowl outside of the CFP berth. This year is an exception given how abnormal it is. While I don't love the fact that there's still a P12 is irrelevant angle that can be used against UW in this scenario, what the above does is allow Jimmy Lake to say the following on the recruiting trail:

1) UW has won the P12 3 out of the last 5 years and either won outright or shared the North title 4 out of the last 5 years - UW is the DOMINANT program in the P12

2) The above takes momentum away from Oregon and USC for some of the West Coast talent as we move into the 2022 and 2023 recruiting cycles

3) UW can explain away the not being invited to the CFP this year by citing that it was due as much to a lack of data points as anything else (6 game season vs 10 game season) all done because of player safety (can cite positive test performance at UW vs many of the other larger * cough SEC cough * programs.

4) Can bury the angle that UW can't win a game on the big stage (helped by finally getting a game on that stage where we're not punching uphill)

5) Potentially can buy a greater audience with 2 key local recruits and quell any concerns that they can't play on a big stage successfully at UW
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

Not sure what Jimmy Lake did to deserve the layout of the schedule the way that he got it, but he should be incredibly thankful as the Holiday season came early.

Before getting to each game, there are a couple of really important items that I think become massive talking points to the 2020 season for UW:

1) This is as deep, talented, and experienced of a team as anybody in the P12

2) New coach/staff narrative is a tad overblown in this case given that the new head coach was promoted from within and effectively the balance of the coaching staff has continuity

3) There is strong motivation for both coaches and players alike ... for players, getting picked 6th in the conference should be viewed as a massive slap in the face (which is additional fuel on top of a disappointing 8-5 year last year) ... for the coaches they've had their ass handed to them on the recruiting trail and one of the most important ways for them to turn that narrative will be on the field

With that, onto the games:

@ Cal: Win (UW wins 31-17)

There are a couple very significant issues that I see going into this game: 1) UW is a deeper team and 2) Cal's will start practicing ??? ... if there is one thing that has been very evident as programs have returned to the field this year is that they have been various shades of rusty to start the year. I'll chalk a lot of that up to inability to effectively scrimmage to start the season and not having the early season cupcake to start the year that can hide some of the initial growing pains.

This will be a close game for a half but I suspect that after halftime UW's superior depth will come to the forefront and result in UW pulling away at the end. Cal's defense lost some pieces and the reality is that there will be some guessing as to what the UW's offense will look like. Offensively, Garbers is tough but even in their victories the last 2 years those wins were not due to Cal's offense and instead tied to their defense. Cal will get in the 17-20 point range again ... but the difference this year will be UW's got more weapons on offense to use and Cal's defense is taking a relative step backwards.

Oregon St: Win (UW wins 38-20)

I'm not going to sit here and say that Oregon St is trash because they showed last year that they've upped their competitive game. That being said, UW's got way more talent and as mentioned above, that quantity of talent is really going to show itself out over the first couple of weeks in the season in particular. This should be a comfortable win.

Arizona: Win (UW wins 45-17)

My thoughts about Kevin Sumlin are well known ... I think he's terrible. The program at Arizona has declined since he got there and looking at their schedule this year I really question where they are going to get a win. Their start to the season is Utah, USC, and Washington ... congratulations. After Week 3 will they even give a shit about the rest of the season? This game will be ugly.

A couple of other side notes that I think are important to point out after 3 games: 1) arguably couldn't draw up better opponents in Week 2-3 than what UW got as it will provide further opportunities for the offense to work out kinks and find it's identity and 2) having the ability to have a blow out leading into a short week against Wazzu will be really important.

@ Washington St: Win (UW wins 31-20)

I really have no clue what to think of the Cougs this year. There are a lot of people thinking that there's going to be a transition away from Leach but I'm not so convinced because Rolovich plays a similar up tempo, spread everybody out, let's score points game. The big difference I see with Rolovich vs Leach is that Rolovich understands way better than Leach ever did that beating Washington matters. So I expect to get the Cougs best effort and depending on how their early season goes could see them looking at prioritizing this game. The other thing that will be interesting is that Rolovich's offense will run the football at a far greater clip than what Leach did ... so that should be interesting to watch.

But in the end, UW effectively throttled him last year when with Hawaii and the talent gap is still what it is. The reality is that Apple Cup's are typically played in iffy at best weather and UW's ability to just line up and run it down the Cougs throats is what it is until it isn't.

Stanford: Win (UW wins 24-20)

Now we get to the fun stuff ...

Stanford will be a better team than they were last year and I don't think the large number of opt outs that they've had is necessarily a bad thing for them. It's a program that felt like it was fairly stale and some of their upperclass players were just biding their time. Turning some of the roster over to younger guys that have something to grow into worries me a little bit. And the reality is that Stanford's youth got a lot of experience last year.

I expect a hard and physical game. It's going to be fairly even. The difference honestly may come down to the fact that UW is playing at home. It will be a very interesting game to see how UW's younger players react to the first really difficult pressure situation that most of them will face where you're deep in a season against a good opponent with expectations going into the game.

@ Oregon: Win (UW wins 31-28)

The only team I'd have rather played first besides Cal was Oregon. It can not be understated how much Oregon lost on the OL ... while true Oregon will have 5 games in at that point, the lack of experience on that line really is concerning. Moreover, Oregon's breaking in a new QB behind that new OL. And finally, Oregon's entire offense is really predicated on running the football ... which could be interesting given the circumstances.

The reality is that this is a rivalry game and it's going to be some tough sledding regardless. I suspect Oregon will play their best game of the season. But I honestly feel that UW holds advantages over Oregon at all levels. At QB, Sirmon and Slough are in the same class and Sirmon was the better recruit (confirmed when you look at the video). I don't feel like Oregon's going to have greater talent on the OL than UW and UW has more returning experience. Skill talent is a push at best. Both have tremendous defenses. UW's biggest potential weakness in my mind is on the interior DL and that's more because of inexperience than talent. Finally, UW's generally got an advantage in the kicking game.

If there's one thing that I feel like I don't have to question with Jimmy Lake is that unlike Pete who really treated every game as if it was the same (perhaps a slight lean to prioritizing the Apple Cup), I feel like Jimmy knows that the game he needs to prioritize is Oregon.

P12 Championship Game: Win (UW wins 27-20)

I really don't know who is going to win the South but I could very easily see USC, ASU, and Utah all finish 5-1 with losses to each other on the road. How or what the tiebreakers look like is still TBD from the conference. Regardless, that should earn UW that game at home for the conference title and that should be enough to win. If SC or ASU, I think playing a mid-December night game will be a significant advantage. If Utah, I just feel like we've long held that little bit of an advantage over them from a talent standpoint.

Bowl Game: Rose Bowl vs Minnesota/Wisconsin (UW wins 31-20)

The P12 is fooling themselves if they think a 7-0 conference champion is going to be invited to the CFP ... not enough data points. It's going to be the usual suspects (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Georgia). But that's actually good for UW because it should result in a B10 West school getting the Rose Bowl invite and that becomes a significantly more winnable game than what we've had on the big stage over the last 4 years (Alabama, Penn St, Ohio St, and Auburn).

I know I've long been on the record saying that getting a CFP berth is far better than winning a NY6 or Rose Bowl outside of the CFP berth. This year is an exception given how abnormal it is. While I don't love the fact that there's still a P12 is irrelevant angle that can be used against UW in this scenario, what the above does is allow Jimmy Lake to say the following on the recruiting trail:

1) UW has won the P12 3 out of the last 5 years and either won outright or shared the North title 4 out of the last 5 years - UW is the DOMINANT program in the P12

2) The above takes momentum away from Oregon and USC for some of the West Coast talent as we move into the 2022 and 2023 recruiting cycles

3) UW can explain away the not being invited to the CFP this year by citing that it was due as much to a lack of data points as anything else (6 game season vs 10 game season) all done because of player safety (can cite positive test performance at UW vs many of the other larger * cough SEC cough * programs.

4) Can bury the angle that UW can't win a game on the big stage (helped by finally getting a game on that stage where we're not punching uphill)

5) Potentially can buy a greater audience with 2 key local recruits and quell any concerns that they can't play on a big stage successfully at UW

disagree
  • WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    6-2
    If I've learned anything in my multiple years at Hardcore Husky, it's to go in a different direction than the herd thinks. Also, as an inaugural member of the John Donovan fan club, we're going to be quite good this year.

I think the season all comes down to game 1. Cal has had a ton of guys transfer/opt out, and their D was gutted by graduation last year. Our D is going to be strong, and we take the win.

Next four games should all be comfortable wins. OSU is the only one that gives me a slight worry. If we are anything less than 4-1 going into the Oregon game, fire Lake immediately.

Oregon is a close loss. I wish we had drawn them earlier in the year.

Make the P12 CCG and win it over ASU. Or, if we don't make the CCG and there is a 7th conference game, kill that team.

Get invited to a NY6 and lose to a real football team from the SEC.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Stanford is gonna be terrible this year.

UW should be favored significantly in every game other than @Oregon but they probably drop one game they shouldn’t.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    7-1

Stanford is gonna be terrible this year.

UW should be favored significantly in every game other than @Oregon but they probably drop one game they shouldn’t.

I have Cal in the pool
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    8-0
    It would seem with all the talent that saw limited pt last year that despite the unknown at qb they should be going to Eugene undefeated. If they aren't then the lines are still really fucked and Huff is officially a bad coach.

And I think beavlet is a better pick to compete with UW and Oregon than both Stanford and Cal. There's a ton of factors pointing to those teams being really shitty this year. WSU is an unknown, but who cares fuck them.