Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Do the Memphis Grizzlies just hate having head coaches?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10968833/minnesota-timberwolves-making-progress-hiring-dave-joerger-coach

First they let Hollins leave and now they might let his replacement walk after one year?

DNC, you seem to have the Grizz dialed in what the fuck is going on there?

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2014

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10968833/minnesota-timberwolves-making-progress-hiring-dave-joerger-coach

First they let Hollins leave and now they might let his replacement walk after one year?

Nobody really seems to know. It's borderline full blown panic mode around here. Apparently Robert Pera (principal owner) and his handpicked GM Jason Levian had some sort of falling out. Levian's now gone, with a chunk of the FO with him. Joerger was Levian's guy, he doesn't like the instability and he has deep roots in Minnesota. Seems highly likely he's leaving to me.

I understood the Hollins thing. Hollins called the new front office cheap, didn't GAF about the analytics the FO wanted him to consider and wanted more money than Memphis thought he was worth. Letting him walk made sense to me.

I have no clue what's going on with the Levian deal. I honestly thought this FO had a pretty solid plan in place. Now it's just a massive cluster.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    dnc said:

Nobody really seems to know. It's borderline full blown panic mode around here. Apparently Robert Pera (principal owner) and his handpicked GM Jason Levian had some sort of falling out. Levian's now gone, with a chunk of the FO with him. Joerger was Levian's guy, he doesn't like the instability and he has deep roots in Minnesota. Seems highly likely he's leaving to me.

I understood the Hollins thing. Hollins called the new front office cheap, didn't GAF about the analytics the FO wanted him to consider and wanted more money than Memphis thought he was worth. Letting him walk made sense to me.

I have no clue what's going on with the Levian deal. I honestly thought this FO had a pretty solid plan in place. Now it's just a massive cluster.

I mean Joerger had a rough start but when Gasol came back they were dominant. Like if Gasol was there the entire season they are probably a 2 or a 3 seed. In the East they are probably the second best team.

I think Joerger has some growing pains but shows he can be a good coach. Reminds me of Spoelstra where you see a young coach truly growing on the job(Not the fake learning on the job BS that Doogs spout about Sark).

If I'm OKC I'm doing whatever I can to steal this guy as he could make a real difference. Him going to Minnesota with Love most likely on his way out feels like a waste.

Also if I'm Minnesota I'm trying like crazy to take advantage of a desperate Cleveland trying to win now to appeal to Lebron. Try like hell to get that #1 pick since you are going to lose Love anyways.
  • Options

dnc said:

I mean Joerger had a rough start but when Gasol came back they were dominant. Like if Gasol was there the entire season they are probably a 2 or a 3 seed. In the East they are probably the second best team.

I think Joerger has some growing pains but shows he can be a good coach. Reminds me of Spoelstra where you see a young coach truly growing on the job(Not the fake learning on the job BS that Doogs spout about Sark).

If I'm OKC I'm doing whatever I can to steal this guy as he could make a real difference. Him going to Minnesota with Love most likely on his way out feels like a waste.

Also if I'm Minnesota I'm trying like crazy to take advantage of a desperate Cleveland trying to win now to appeal to Lebron. Try like hell to get that #1 pick since you are going to lose Love anyways.
    Agreed I like Joerger. Can't imagine him ever winning anything Minnesota either. He'd probably be a nice get for OKC but they're not firing Scott Brooks anytime soon.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Agreed I like Joerger. Can't imagine him ever winning anything Minnesota either. He'd probably be a nice get for OKC but they're not firing Scott Brooks anytime soon.
    I don't think so either. As a basketball fan I would love for them to hire John Calipari. I think he can pull a Pete Carroll in the NBA. Once failed coach, dominated college then goes back to the pros and learned his lessons. He runs a motion offense, used to coaching with great talent and is a good recruiter so could keep Durant/Westbrook there.

As a huge Sonics fan I hope they keep Scott Brooks as crappy coaches never win NBA titles. Probably the worst coach to win a title in the last 25 years is Rudy T and he was a pretty solid coach.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Bill Simmons tweeted a week ago that Memphis could go after Thibodeau.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Q: Speaking of Memphis … what the hell is going on in Memphis???

A: We see it happen with professional sports franchises every so often: You have a sports-savvy, overly ambitious executive who doesn’t have nearly enough money to purchase his own team (in this case, Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien) sniffing out an available franchise, then slapping together an ownership group hinging on someone else fronting the bulk of the money (Grizzlies owner Robert Pera). Usually, the ambitious executive smartly picks a sugar daddy who doesn’t know what he’s doing – or even better, might eschew the day-to-day responsibility of running the team – allowing the CEO to “run” the team without owning it.

Only one problem: If the sugar daddy owner decides to get more involved, the CEO is eventually screwed. First the owner starts spreading his wings a little more, then a little more (and in Pera’s case, so much more that he reportedly started promising playing time to different players). At some point, he starts butting heads with the ambitious CEO. Everyone else in the organization picks sides. Ultimately, there’s a major disagreement that concludes with the owner saying something like, “Hey, where’s YOUR money? I’m the one who owns the team – why are you telling ME what we should do?” That’s usually when the CEO starts packing his office and becomes “former CEO.” Which is what happened to Levien, who earns some blame since he has abruptly left three different NBA franchises now (twice on bad terms). He’s no victim.

Anyway, the Grizzlies made that owner/CEO breakdown seem even more dysfunctional than usual, as Chris Ryan gleefully broke down on the Triangle today. (If you do anything, listen to our friend Chris Vernon pick apart interim GM Chris Wallace in a local radio interview. Chris Wallace is the Michael Myers of NBA GMs — he literally CANNOT die even if you chop his head off.) But there’s a method to Pera’s madness. As I first reported on Monday, Pera wants to trade for Chicago’s Tom Thibodeau and give him a Stan Van Gundy/Pistons-type deal. That’s why Pera allowed Dave Joerger, the current Grizzlies coach, to interview for Minnesota’s job. Memphis wants Thibs. And Chicago knows that Thibs will always be miserable there after the Ron Adams firing and the Deng trade. So I’m throwing $100 on the following three-transaction parlay: Joerger goes to Minnesota, Thibs gets traded to Memphis for a future pick, Chicago hires Fred Hoiberg to replace him. You watch.

That is from Bill Simmons latest mailbag.

Seems a little far fetched but you never know. If Thibs left Chicago that would hurt their franchise. I felt like they've overachieved ever since he has been there. That is why in the playoffs they flounder because only so much a coach can do if you don't have the Jimmy's and the Joes.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

A: We see it happen with professional sports franchises every so often: You have a sports-savvy, overly ambitious executive who doesn’t have nearly enough money to purchase his own team (in this case, Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien) sniffing out an available franchise, then slapping together an ownership group hinging on someone else fronting the bulk of the money (Grizzlies owner Robert Pera). Usually, the ambitious executive smartly picks a sugar daddy who doesn’t know what he’s doing – or even better, might eschew the day-to-day responsibility of running the team – allowing the CEO to “run” the team without owning it.

Only one problem: If the sugar daddy owner decides to get more involved, the CEO is eventually screwed. First the owner starts spreading his wings a little more, then a little more (and in Pera’s case, so much more that he reportedly started promising playing time to different players). At some point, he starts butting heads with the ambitious CEO. Everyone else in the organization picks sides. Ultimately, there’s a major disagreement that concludes with the owner saying something like, “Hey, where’s YOUR money? I’m the one who owns the team – why are you telling ME what we should do?” That’s usually when the CEO starts packing his office and becomes “former CEO.” Which is what happened to Levien, who earns some blame since he has abruptly left three different NBA franchises now (twice on bad terms). He’s no victim.

Anyway, the Grizzlies made that owner/CEO breakdown seem even more dysfunctional than usual, as Chris Ryan gleefully broke down on the Triangle today. (If you do anything, listen to our friend Chris Vernon pick apart interim GM Chris Wallace in a local radio interview. Chris Wallace is the Michael Myers of NBA GMs — he literally CANNOT die even if you chop his head off.) But there’s a method to Pera’s madness. As I first reported on Monday, Pera wants to trade for Chicago’s Tom Thibodeau and give him a Stan Van Gundy/Pistons-type deal. That’s why Pera allowed Dave Joerger, the current Grizzlies coach, to interview for Minnesota’s job. Memphis wants Thibs. And Chicago knows that Thibs will always be miserable there after the Ron Adams firing and the Deng trade. So I’m throwing $100 on the following three-transaction parlay: Joerger goes to Minnesota, Thibs gets traded to Memphis for a future pick, Chicago hires Fred Hoiberg to replace him. You watch.

Seems a little far fetched but you never know. If Thibs left Chicago that would hurt their franchise. I felt like they've overachieved ever since he has been there. That is why in the playoffs they flounder because only so much a coach can do if you don't have the Jimmy's and the Joes.

[citation needed]

Dude's Bulls are regressing.
  • Options

[citation needed]

I'm not a Thibs guy and you can check the coaching rankings thread for proof. However I think they are a lotto team/7th seed without him.

Now you could argue it's better to be lottery than where they are now. That is true but all these lotto stats that I've read I'm siding with APAG now.

Minnesota 10 straight lotto appearances, Sacramento has 6 straight years in the top 7, Wizards lived in the lottery forever, Cleveland is now. I mean does constantly being in the lottery even help you anymore?
  • Options

[citation needed]

I'm not a Thibs guy and you can check the coaching rankings thread for proof. However I think they are a lotto team/7th seed without him.

Now you could argue it's better to be lottery than where they are now. That is true but all these lotto stats that I've read I'm siding with APAG now.

Minnesota 10 straight lotto appearances, Sacramento has 6 straight years in the top 7, Wizards lived in the lottery forever, Cleveland is now. I mean does constantly being in the lottery even help you anymore?
    If you're constantly in the lottery, it's because you have shitty franchise management.

Water is wet.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

I don't think so either. As a basketball fan I would love for them to hire John Calipari. I think he can pull a Pete Carroll in the NBA. Once failed coach, dominated college then goes back to the pros and learned his lessons. He runs a motion offense, used to coaching with great talent and is a good recruiter so could keep Durant/Westbrook there.

As a huge Sonics fan I hope they keep Scott Brooks as crappy coaches never win NBA titles. Probably the worst coach to win a title in the last 25 years is Rudy T and he was a pretty solid coach.
    Disagree. Calipari is almost as bad as Romar at just rolling he ball out. Motion/dribble drive offense is basically having superior perimeter players who beat their man off the dribble. He's good at managing egos and acquiring talent. Kentucky's best offense last year was crashing the boards. I'm not sure he would be worse than Brooks, but he might not be much better. I would take Izzo, K, and maybe Ollie and Hoiberg over him if I'm choosing a college coach.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

Disagree. Calipari is almost as bad as Romar at just rolling he ball out. Motion/dribble drive offense is basically having superior perimeter players who beat their man off the dribble. He's good at managing egos and acquiring talent. Kentucky's best offense last year was crashing the boards. I'm not sure he would be worse than Brooks, but he might not be much better. I would take Izzo, K, and maybe Ollie and Hoiberg over him if I'm choosing a college coach.
    OKC needs ego management though.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

OKC needs ego management though.
    Agreed. I think Calipari would be a good fit. He can check the ego's well, plus he's a good recruiter, he might actually convince some vet to play in bum fuck Oklahoma as well as keep Durant/Westbrook there.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

Disagree. Cal is incredible at getting those 5 stars to commit to play defense and playing it well.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Disagree. Cal is incredible at getting those 5 stars to commit to play defense and playing it well.
    Plus they have five guys who are all 5 stars wanting to be one and done yet they always play team ball. Nobody is trying to get theres above the team.

Anthony Davis was like 4th leading scorer and went 1st overall, MKG was like 3rd or 5th leading scorer and was 2nd overall.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2014
    Anthony Davis was the leading scorer on the championship team with 14.2 ppg. Calipari is without peer at recruiting, but basketball wise, there are better coaches. OKC doesn't have ego problems. Durant seems to be pretty easy maitenence for a superstar and the Westbrook myths have been disproven multiple times.

They have basketball problems. Their offense consists of Westbrook, Durant, and sometimes Jackson isolating their man. They are getting very few easy looks compared to the Spurs. It's not efficient and they are getting exposed by the Spurs. Popovich would destroy Calipari too.
  • Options

Anthony Davis was the leading scorer on the championship team with 14.2 ppg. Calipari is without peer at recruiting, but basketball wise, there are better coaches. OKC doesn't have ego problems. Durant seems to be pretty easy maitenence for a superstar and the Westbrook myths have been disproven multiple times.

They have basketball problems. Their offense consists of Westbrook, Durant, and sometimes Jackson isolating their man. They are getting very few easy looks compared to the Spurs. It's not efficient and they are getting exposed by the Spurs. Popovich would destroy Calipari too.

I was quoting what Calipari said. Looked it up he was talking about the NCAA tournament. My bad. Point still remains though.

I mean you have five guys averaging double figures not one more than 15 a game. That's managing ego's. Look at how Romar struggled so badly with that the year when Wroten and Ross both had one foot out the door.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Calipari had a terrible year in 12-13 with a team more talented than the Wroten/Ross UW one. A lot of coaches would have won a championship with Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, MGK, Darius Miller, Lamb, and Teague. All 6 of those guys are in the NBA. It was probably the most talented college team of the past 10 years. You actually think Izzo, K, Self, and Roy Williams aren't winning it with that squad?

Saying Calipari is going to recruit isn't very relevant either. Guys chasing championships would rather do it in a real city than OKC. Only way OKC gets those guys is throwing money, which won't happen with their ownership. There are better college coaches to go after than Calipari.
  • Options

Calipari had a terrible year in 12-13 with a team more talented than the Wroten/Ross UW one. A lot of coaches would have won a championship with Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, MGK, Darius Miller, Lamb, and Teague. All 6 of those guys are in the NBA. It was probably the most talented college team of the past 10 years. You actually think Izzo, K, Self, and Roy Williams aren't winning it with that squad?

Saying Calipari is going to recruit isn't very relevant either. Guys chasing championships would rather do it in a real city than OKC. Only way OKC gets those guys is throwing money, which won't happen with their ownership. There are better college coaches to go after than Calipari.

I don't think those guys are relevant as I don't see them going to the NBA. To answer your question they could win a title although Roy and Self have choked. Would Izzo ever recruit that much talent? doubt it.

I mean good chance Self will have the 1st and 2nd picks in this years draft and couldn't get past round 32.