Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

It’s Barrett....(Democrat Hysteria Game Thread)

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,698
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

She’s Catholic. The DNC are atheists and will throw everything they’ve got against her Catholism

Way to alienate the Hispanic vote who are almost entirely Catholic, DNC

But the Cuban chick is a Cuban chick. That might have appeased the Floridas, but as we’ve seen here on HCH, not everyone can distinguish among the Hispanos, and among those that can, many don’t care. Reasonable amounts.

Picking the non-ethnic conservative, while considering the ethnic one was the smart move.

I’ll note that both selections are out of step with the traditional academic elitism that accompanies SCOTUS appointments. Harvard, Yale and Stanford, undergrad and law school, have traditionally dominated the appointment pools.

The Cuban woman went to Columbia LS, which is up there too and way better than Notre Dame, but went to FIU undergrad, which is very low brow.

Barrett was undergrad at Rhodes College, not exactly a tippy top liberal arts college, and Notre Dame LS, which is not elite. #26 in USNWR, current ranking, is even higher than it’s been historically. It’s not even Georgetown. Top law firms don’t interview there.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

She adopted Haitian orphans for props is what I’m hearing.

If Democrats use these deranged attacks in hearings, they lose the House.

You know they will. They can’t help themselves.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

She’s Catholic. The DNC are atheists and will throw everything they’ve got against her Catholism

But the Cuban chick is a Cuban chick. That might have appeased the Floridas, but as we’ve seen here on HCH, not everyone can distinguish among the Hispanos, and among those that can, many don’t care. Reasonable amounts.

Picking the non-ethnic conservative, while considering the ethnic one was the smart move.

I’ll note that both selections are out of step with the traditional academic elitism that accompanies SCOTUS appointments. Harvard, Yale and Stanford, undergrad and law school, have traditionally dominated the appointment pools.

The Cuban woman went to Columbia LS, which is up there too and way better than Notre Dame, but went to FIU undergrad, which is very low brow.

Barrett was undergrad at Rhodes College, not exactly a tippy top liberal arts college, and Notre Dame LS, which is not elite. #26 in USNWR, current ranking, is even higher than it’s been historically. It’s not even Georgetown. Top law firms don’t interview there.

“Top” law firms are the epitome of systemic racism. Rich white kids along with a lot of Affirmative-action JDs who should have gone to Notre Dame based on merit. Have you ever read Michelle Obama’s Princeton thesis? It’s not even AP high school writing.

• SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Have you ever read Michelle Obama’s Princeton thesis?

The late Christopher Hitchens take on Michelle Obama's thesis.

I direct your attention to Mrs. Obama’s 1985 thesis at Princeton University. Its title (rather limited in scope, given the author and the campus) is ‘Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community.’ To describe it as hard to read would be a mistake; the thesis cannot be ‘read’ at all, in the strict sense of the verb. This is because it wasn’t written in any known language.

I miss Hitch, in Michelle's defense because I'm know for my fairness, I'd be embarrassed if anyone were to read something I had written when I was in college.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,470

Way Moore Catholic Highspanics than just Cuban. Gong for the big win.
    SFGbob said:

I direct your attention to Mrs. Obama’s 1985 thesis at Princeton University. Its title (rather limited in scope, given the author and the campus) is ‘Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community.’ To describe it as hard to read would be a mistake; the thesis cannot be ‘read’ at all, in the strict sense of the verb. This is because it wasn’t written in any known language.

I miss Hitch, in Michelle's defense because I'm know for my fairness, I'd be embarrassed if anyone were to read something I had written when I was in college.

This. I wouldn’t want Hitch to read anything I wrote today. Outta my league.
    Sledog said:

No idea what you’re saying here Sleddy. English.

“Top” law firms are the epitome of systemic racism. Rich white kids along with a lot of Affirmative-action JDs who should have gone to Notre Dame based on merit. Have you ever read Michelle Obama’s Princeton thesis? It’s not even AP high school writing.

Not sure I’m following you here. What does this have to do with my post?
    edited September 2020
    SFGbob said:

I have a published paper from college and I went to a “state” school in Eugene. It’s not that difficult to write a research thesis as I’m obviously no genius.

Michelle Obama is a community college level intellect. Her disaster of a thesis was at Princeton, which I once thought was for only the top-tied of intellectual students. An embarrassment.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,301
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2020
    Sledog said:

Plus seing the democrats bash her catholicism as well will turn off some independents
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

I have a published paper from college and I went to a “state” school in Eugene. Michelle Obama is a community college level intellect. Her disaster was at Princeton. An embarrassment.
    I can't write now. I was much worse in college. But you're right, I would have never gotten into Princeton in the first place. Her thesis is actually fun to read. Hitch is right, it's mostly incoherent but her sense of victimhood that we all see today was already well established. Fucking woman got into a school she had no business being admitted to on account of her skin color and then cries about how tough it is being black at Princeton, yeah, she is a victim.
    Sledog said:

Barrett has broader appeal is my guess as to why she was picked.
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

That’s essentially what I said.

Why do you think she has “broader appeal”?
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I have a published paper from college and I went to a “state” school in Eugene. Michelle Obama is a community college level intellect. Her disaster was at Princeton. An embarrassment.
    I can't write now. I was much worse in college. But you're right, I would have never gotten into Princeton in the first place. Her thesis is actually fun to read. Hitch is right, it's mostly incoherent but her sense of victimhood that we all see today was already well established. Fucking woman got into a school she had no business being admitted to on account of her skin color and then cries about how tough it is being black at Princeton, yeah, she is a victim.
    Never ask her to reach something from a grocery store top shelf if you’re a short, white grandma in what was initially a photo-op and portrayed a such at the time.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    SFGbob said:

Look at those fucking little props.

Looks to me like she has quite a long term stake in the future.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,301
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Had 5 kids and catholic makes it possible to stay independent votes if they trash her too hard
    edited September 2020

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Married, female, mother, Catholic, good reputation, highly thought of among the legal crowd, mixed family etc. Appeals across some racial lines due to her religion and adoption. Traditional interpretation of the constitution. Pro life.
    edited September 2020
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Married, female, mother, Catholic, good reputation, highly thought of among the legal crowd, mixed family etc. Appeals across some racial lines due to her religion and adoption. Traditional interpretation of the constitution. Pro life.
    Lagoa is married, no less Catholic than Barrett, has three kids, serves on a federal court of appeals, served on the FL SC, and spent time in private practice.

She also made it to the Ivy League with no affirmative action - I know this because she is my age and we attended LS at the same time. I know first hand that the law schools, especially those in the east, don’t consider Cubans as diversity candidates. Dean of admissions at Michigan told me that point blank.

So I ask you again: why does Barrett have broader appeal? They seem like almost the same people. Only real differences are Barrett taught in LS and the Cuban has a better LS pedigree and served in her state’s Supreme Court.

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Lagoa is married, no less Catholic than Barrett, has three kids, serves on a federal court of appeals, served on the FL SC, and spent time in private practice.

She also made it to the Ivy League with no affirmative action - I know this because she is my age and we attended LS at the same time. I know first hand that the law schools, especially those in the east, don’t consider Cubans as diversity candidates. Dean of admissions at Michigan told me that point blank.

So I ask you again: why does Barrett have broader appeal? They seem like almost the same people. Only real differences are Barrett taught in LS and the Cuban has a better LS pedigree and served in her state’s Supreme Court.
    Barrett has a better track record on the 2nd amendment. Good enough for me. Not that Lagoa is bad on it, she just doesn’t have a track record if ruling on it.
    Ah the one issue litmus test. I thought only the liberals did that.

Anyway, still would like to know why Barrett has broader appeal. Not everyone is looking for a 2A hawk. And Lagoa is conservative enough that she’d be a pretty safe bet on that one critical issue.