Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ryan day dgaf

2»

Comments

• HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

There are ~26,000 university cases already and ~1 hospitalization reported.

#IfItSavesOneLife

https://www.si.com/college/2020/09/09/jamain-stephens-division-ii-lineman-no-cause-of-death
    Cal U of Pennsylvania had cancelled football in July and gone online in early August.

Good point though, add encouraging 20 year olds to bulk up to a morbidly obese 355lbs to my list of things entirely tolerable though.

(They also retracted Covid as the cause of death several days ago, not that it is at all relevant to what I said.)
    That all seems fair, good points, really interesting.

I was more hoping for your source for the 26,000:1 ratio, though. Is this dead university case the one hospitalization? Does it count as a hospitalization? I just want the facts, ma'am.

There's citation in the thread below the first twat. I was skeptical when I first saw it, without the citations. ATBS, I didn't verify them.
    I looked through about the first 20 sets of citations, and none of the data sets mention hospitalization, and only a couple spokespeople mention that none of the students have been hospitalized at their school.

I don't know how he went about choosing those schools, and how he thinks any of their reporting is germane to the question of hospitalization. I reckon he's doing bad analysis, assuming that since it isn't reported it isn't there. But, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and making inductions with no basis as your sole referent is no proof at all.

Non-rigorous googling disproves his thesis of 0 hospitalizations, generously we can conclude this Ivy League professor is merely an idiot, less charitably that he's cynically misread data and cherry picked.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/coronavirus/article241417166.html

Edit: what kind of willful ignorance is this professor guilty of?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=college+student+dies+of+covid
    Why would you link to a hospitalization of a girl who tested positive off campus in March to invalidate a data set of 26,000 on campus positive students from approximately the last month?

Surely you didn’t think the thesis/take away from the data was that absolutely no college aged person has ever ended up in the hospital from covid ever?
    https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/san-diego-state-reports-44-new-coronavirus-cases-one-student-hospitalized/509-dc85e29c-3764-4071-bbf8-c5fa7783dc61

Sorry, that was sloppy on my part.

Is the fantasy that somehow the virus effects college aged humans differently than it did a few months ago? Or is this just an exercise in confirming one's priors?

I stay out of the Rub'n'Tug intentionally, sorry to bring this up here... But what does Trump admitting on tape that he was intentionally misleading the public do to this mindset?
    It’s literally a data set with links/citations directly to universities of 29 schools spread across the country with 26,000 confirmed cases with minimal hospitalization and no deaths... No one ever claimed the list was exhaustive.

Calling your perceived change in hospitalization or death rate a “fantasy” is just a display of ignorance.
    A virus is effected by heterogeneity and it’s spread AND outcomes are non randomly distributed over time and through the population. Their are plenty of academic papers on the subject. (Also rate is effected by testing availability and strategy)

You understand that data sets are constrained to what they observe? Do you understand that one school (SDSU) with 444 cases and one hospitalization does not invalidate the original data set, its additive? Are you not surprised by this data at all? Do you have some criticism of a bias sampling?

I was surprised by this data, I would have guessed a significantly higher number of hospitalizations.

The fact that there is a knee jerk reaction to a presentation of raw data that leads to posting about an incorrect retracted covid death, an off campus hospitalization from March, a school outside the data set, or Trump statement and politics is not surprising but it is what people do when confronted with data that may run counter to their previously held belief in a clumsy attempt to invalidate the raw data.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

#IfItSavesOneLife

https://www.si.com/college/2020/09/09/jamain-stephens-division-ii-lineman-no-cause-of-death
    Cal U of Pennsylvania had cancelled football in July and gone online in early August.

Good point though, add encouraging 20 year olds to bulk up to a morbidly obese 355lbs to my list of things entirely tolerable though.

(They also retracted Covid as the cause of death several days ago, not that it is at all relevant to what I said.)

I was more hoping for your source for the 26,000:1 ratio, though. Is this dead university case the one hospitalization? Does it count as a hospitalization? I just want the facts, ma'am.

There's citation in the thread below the first twat. I was skeptical when I first saw it, without the citations. ATBS, I didn't verify them.
    I looked through about the first 20 sets of citations, and none of the data sets mention hospitalization, and only a couple spokespeople mention that none of the students have been hospitalized at their school.

I don't know how he went about choosing those schools, and how he thinks any of their reporting is germane to the question of hospitalization. I reckon he's doing bad analysis, assuming that since it isn't reported it isn't there. But, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and making inductions with no basis as your sole referent is no proof at all.

Non-rigorous googling disproves his thesis of 0 hospitalizations, generously we can conclude this Ivy League professor is merely an idiot, less charitably that he's cynically misread data and cherry picked.

Why would you link to a hospitalization of a girl who tested positive off campus in March to invalidate a data set of 26,000 on campus positive students from approximately the last month?

Surely you didn’t think the thesis/take away from the data was that absolutely no college aged person has ever ended up in the hospital from covid ever?
    https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/san-diego-state-reports-44-new-coronavirus-cases-one-student-hospitalized/509-dc85e29c-3764-4071-bbf8-c5fa7783dc61

Is the fantasy that somehow the virus effects college aged humans differently than it did a few months ago? Or is this just an exercise in confirming one's priors?

I stay out of the Rub'n'Tug intentionally, sorry to bring this up here... But what does Trump admitting on tape that he was intentionally misleading the public do to this mindset?
    I was surprised by this data, I would have guessed a significantly higher number of hospitalizations.
    Interesting comment. Why would you have guessed significantly higher hospitalizations? Based on previous data?
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2020
    Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

#IfItSavesOneLife

It’s literally a data set with links/citations directly to universities of 29 schools spread across the country with 26,000 confirmed cases with minimal hospitalization and no deaths... No one ever claimed the list was exhaustive.

Calling your perceived change in hospitalization or death rate a “fantasy” is just a display of ignorance.
    A virus is effected by heterogeneity and it’s spread AND outcomes are non randomly distributed over time and through the population. Their are plenty of academic papers on the subject. (Also rate is effected by testing availability and strategy)

You understand that data sets are constrained to what they observe? Do you understand that one school (SDSU) with 444 cases and one hospitalization does not invalidate the original data set, its additive? Are you not surprised by this data at all? Do you have some criticism of a bias sampling?

The fact that there is a knee jerk reaction to a presentation of raw data that leads to posting about an incorrect retracted covid death, an off campus hospitalization from March, a school outside the data set, or Trump statement and politics is not surprising but it is what people do when confronted with data that may run counter to their previously held belief in a clumsy attempt to invalidate the raw data.
    You missed the whole point. The data he cites doesn't even address hospitalizations. He, and you, seem to be assuming since hospitalizations aren't reported, they aren't there, and that isn't an induction that I can even remotely understand making. Do you understand that this data set is not "observing" hospitalizations?

In case you can't follow, here's San Diego State's covid dashboard, and you'll note the word hospitalizations doesn't appear anywhere on the page:

https://sa.sdsu.edu/student-health-services/covid19-case-alert-protocol

I'm not surprised by the data at all, because it fundamentally DOES NOT SAY what you and Ivy League think it does.

Are hospitalizations for college students extremely low? Yes, there's no argument about that. Do I think kids going to school is incredibly important, and we should be incredibly careful about taking that away from them? Absolutely, however I'm not sure that extends to playing football, and I guess we'll see how that goes. But, this is junk analysis, pure and simple, which you'll note has been my critique from the jump. If you can demonstrate that it ISN'T, I'd be glad to see where I'm wrong.

Edit: Looking again more closely at the SDSU page, I find this:
    For privacy reasons, SDSU does not report names, affiliations or health conditions of students, faculty or staff who test positive for COVID-19 unless a public health agency advises that there is a health and public safety benefit to reporting such details.

Presumably there's an excess of HIPAA related caution in not giving finer grained detail than is necessary.
    TommySQC said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

#IfItSavesOneLife

Interesting comment. Why would you have guessed significantly higher hospitalizations? Based on previous data?
    TommySQC said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

#IfItSavesOneLife

If I didnt know the CDC stats and was basing it on general societal "feel"? I probably would have guessed ~100-200 hospitalizations from 26,000 confirmed cases

Based on the CDC hospitalization rate for 18-29 year olds? ~20 hospitalizations from 26,000 confirmed cases

I would be surprised if guesses on number hospitalized out of 26,000 cases (college aged) from the average person wouldn't trended significantly higher than either number.
    Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

Houhusky said:

#IfItSavesOneLife

You missed the whole point. The data he cites doesn't even address hospitalizations. He, and you, seem to be assuming since hospitalizations aren't reported, they aren't there, and that isn't an induction that I can even remotely understand making. Do you understand that this data set is not "observing" hospitalizations?

In case you can't follow, here's San Diego State's covid dashboard, and you'll note the word hospitalizations doesn't appear anywhere on the page:

https://sa.sdsu.edu/student-health-services/covid19-case-alert-protocol

I'm not surprised by the data at all, because it fundamentally DOES NOT SAY what you and Ivy League think it does.

Are hospitalizations for college students extremely low? Yes, there's no argument about that. Do I think kids going to school is incredibly important, and we should be incredibly careful about taking that away from them? Absolutely, however I'm not sure that extends to playing football, and I guess we'll see how that goes. But, this is junk analysis, pure and simple, which you'll note has been my critique from the jump. If you can demonstrate that it ISN'T, I'd be glad to see where I'm wrong.

Edit: Looking again more closely at the SDSU page, I find this:
    For privacy reasons, SDSU does not report names, affiliations or health conditions of students, faculty or staff who test positive for COVID-19 unless a public health agency advises that there is a health and public safety benefit to reporting such details.

Presumably there's an excess of HIPAA related caution in not giving finer grained detail than is necessary.
    What analysis?

You stated; "Non-rigorous googling disproves his thesis of 0 hospitalizations" a "thesis" no one has asserted other than yourself. You have failed to show an obvious error with the data set or even prove your own straw-manning of the data.

I have said I found the data surprising. I think it’s entirely fair to speculate about the hospitalization data, I did, which is why when I checked out the larger schools like Alabama and Ohio state, and schools with hospitalization data directly on their dashboard like TCU, and schools like JMU and South Carolina whose admin outright have stated they have had no hospitalizations, I was unable to find any major discrepancy to the claim of ~1 covid hospitalization at these schools during this datasets timeline.

If there is a major issue with the data or there are in fact many (hundreds?) of hospitalizations within this data set or at these specific universities than it should only require a rather "Non-rigorous googling" to make your point rather than a non-sequitur about Trump or an unrelated hospital stories from March.