Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

This Day in Music September 9

alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
edited September 2020 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe
1941 - Otis Redding
Otis Redding, American singer-songwriter, record producer. After appearing at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival Redding wrote and recorded his iconic '(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay' with Steve Cropper. The song became the first posthumous No.1 record on the Billboard Hot 100 and The Dock of the Bay became the first posthumous album to reach No.1 on the UK Albums Chart. Redding was killed in a plane crash on 10th December 1967.

1945 - Doug Ingle
Doug Ingle, Iron Butterfly (1968 US No.14 single 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida').

1946 - Bruce Palmer
Canadian musician Bruce Palmer, bassist with Buffalo Springfield, who scored the 1967 US No.17 single 'For What It's Worth'. Palmer died of a heart attack on October 1, 2004 in Belleville, Ontario, at the age of 58.

1952 - Dave Stewart
Dave Stewart, guitarist, songwriter, producer. Member of Longdancer, Tourists, (1979 UK No.4 single 'I Only Want To Be With You'), Eurythmics, (1983 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Sweet Dreams', 1985 UK No.1 single 'There Must Be An Angel'), solo, (1990 UK No.6 single 'Lily Was Here').

1965 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones were at No.1 in the UK with ’(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’, giving the band their 4th UK No.1 single. Keith Richards recorded a rough version of the riff in a Florida hotel room. He ran through it once before falling asleep. He said when he listened back to it in the morning, there was about two minutes of acoustic guitar before you could hear him drop the pick and "then me snoring for the next forty minutes".

1965 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones were at No.1 in the UK with ’(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’, giving the band their 4th UK No.1 single. Keith Richards recorded a rough version of the riff in a Florida hotel room. He ran through it once before falling asleep. He said when he listened back to it in the morning, there was about two minutes of acoustic guitar before you could hear him drop the pick and "then me snoring for the next forty minutes".

1992 - Nirvana
Nirvana's Krist Novoselic knocked himself unconscious during the MTV music and video awards after being hit on the head with his guitar after throwing it 'up in the air'.

1995 - Coolio
Coolio featuring L.V. scored his first US No.1 single with 'Gangsta's Paradise'. The song sampled the chorus of the 1976 Stevie Wonder song 'Pastime Paradise' and featured in the 1995 movie Dangerous Minds (starring Michelle Pfeiffer). Coolio was awarded a Grammy Award for the song.

2004 - Ernie Ball
US guitar maker Ernie Ball died after a long illness. In the late 50s Ball opened the first music store in the USA in Tarzana, California to sell guitars exclusively. He developed the guitar strings called 'Slinkys' specifically designed for rock and roll electric guitar.

2006 - 50 Cent
50 Cent was stopped by police for alleged unsafe driving in New York and received citations for an unsafe lane change, driving with an expired permit, driving without insurance and driving without vehicle registration. A crowd gathered, taking photos, cheering the superstar and jeering the police after he was pulled over in his silver open-topped Lamborghini.