Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tesla's Valuation ?

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Up 40% in August
Up 160% Since May 1st
Up 390% Since start of year

Market cap of 360B is almost that of every car Manufacturer in the World.

Love to hear thesis on buying stock w/ belief it can grow into valuation. They would have to literally sell every car made in the next 5-10 years.

Comments

• WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    It makes no sense to me. I've thought about shorting the stock, but it just keeps going up. Their tech is good, but in 10 years I would much rather own whichever company has the best autonomous vehicle, and I don't think it will be Tesla.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2020
    Investors see Tesla as more than just an auto manufacturer.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Sources said:

This - if you want to try and make a proper valuation (you can't, really), you need to measure them based on battery tech, artificial intelligence, EV market share, and economic moats for new entrants for all of these.

Equity investing is also shifting to a more individual paradigm thanks to yolo apps like robinhood and webull. More individuals are investing in "hot" names they know like Tesla, Apple, Rocket, etc., which just sends prices even higher. Add a split where people get absurd fomo and prices moon...next week should be no different barring some massive institutional sell offs.
    This, wish could chin twice
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

Sources said:

This - if you want to try and make a proper valuation (you can't, really), you need to measure them based on battery tech, artificial intelligence, EV market share, and economic moats for new entrants for all of these.

Equity investing is also shifting to a more individual paradigm thanks to yolo apps like robinhood and webull. More individuals are investing in "hot" names they know like Tesla, Apple, Rocket, etc., which just sends prices even higher. Add a split where people get absurd fomo and prices moon...next week should be no different barring some massive institutional sell offs.
    This, wish could chin twice
    I got you.
    Sources said:

I understand, but I still think its a bad, or at least shockingly risky, investment.

Their battery tech has tangible, enduring value, but their AI product is probably 4th best right now, and IMO once Waymo or Uber wins the self driving car race, the auto OEMs lose most of their their power.

If you buy Tesla, I believe you're buying, at its core, a top notch battery company with some nice automotive patents and a quaint little manufacturing business (compared to the other OEMs at least).

If it was public, I would personally be loading up on Waymo, which at its last valuation was at 1/12th Tesla's market cap.

I like the different opinions though, so if someone is bullish on Tesla, I'd love to hear your rationale.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

Sources said:

I understand, but I still think its a bad, or at least shockingly risky, investment.

Their battery tech has tangible, enduring value, but their AI product is probably 4th best right now, and IMO once Waymo or Uber wins the self driving car race, the auto OEMs lose most of their their power.

If you buy Tesla, I believe you're buying, at its core, a top notch battery company with some nice automotive patents and a quaint little manufacturing business (compared to the other OEMs at least).

If it was public, I would personally be loading up on Waymo, which at its last valuation was at 1/12th Tesla's market cap.

I like the different opinions though, so if someone is bullish on Tesla, I'd love to hear your rationale.
    If your bullish on Tesla for fundamental reasons, your belief is every car (and semi/long haul trucks delivering product) will be using your batteries/technology and/or those batteries will be able to store energy (from solar or elsewhere) to power your house.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Woof said:

Sources said:

Google owns the controlling interest in Waymo. I'm hearing Google has the best AI pipeline, as well. Both divisions are currently a cash drain on the company. If either hit, Google wins big.
    Baseman said:

Woof said:

Sources said:

Google owns the controlling interest in Waymo. I'm hearing Google has the best AI pipeline, as well. Both divisions are currently a cash drain on the company. If either hit, Google wins big.
    Yep. It's a division of Alphabet, but they've been raising venture funds as well. I'm not 100% sure what kind of structure it is.

I've been convinced for some time that self-driving cars is the next massive paradigm shift that will change our society. Instead of owning high-cost, low-utilized assets (cars), we'll just summon one to our houses. You'll subscribe to a car rather than buy it. No need for the volume of parking. No need to pay for insurance anymore. Speed limits can go higher, safely. Commuting an hour in a self driving vehicle is way more appealing than taking on gridlock, so it will further change the composition of cities. Hell, half of us will be telecommuting anyway. There's a ton of knock on effects that will take decades to play out, but whoever wins the race is going to be minting money.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited August 2020
    Tesla will pop...no clue when and my worry is that it will bring a big correction to the rest of the market when it does. People keep losing serious $$$ shorting it though...

NIO is an absolute shit company, but it has the backing/funding of the Chinese govt and China will never let a non-Chinese company (Tesla) be the lead company in the EV market internally. Add to that the govt is mandating the transition of cars there to EV so its a guaranteed market. I hate owning it but I do...
    edited August 2020
    whlinder said:

Tesla to me is Apple and Amazon 15 years ago.

Their vision of being way more than they are assumed to be plus an ability to connect to consumers with a brand message that develops a cultish core, plus an egomaniacal leader puts their potential in the stratosphere.

Problem I see with that is they haven’t set up an ecosystem that locks customers in the way Apple/Google/Amazon etc have, and I don’t see how they get there. Their sales are shrinking in Europe where EVs are taking off, there is no chance they will be the #1 guy in China because they aren’t Chinese, and even their US sales haven’t been great.

They are treated as a high growth company without the actual growth, and I don’t see how that doesn’t eventually catch up with them.

Tesla will pop...no clue when and my worry is that it will bring a big correction to the rest of the market when it does. People keep losing serious $$$ shorting it though...

NIO is an absolute shit company, but it has the backing/funding of the Chinese govt and China will never let a non-Chinese company (Tesla) be the lead company in the EV market internally. Add to that the govt is mandating the transition of cars there to EV so its a guaranteed market. I hate owning it but I do...

Why I hate NIO...and I still own it because China will make sure it or another Chinese company will lead the China EV market.
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

Putting my order in now
    Saw today that 1/21/21 700c is only $55. That's essentially free money for anyone who likes intermediate horizons
    Sources said:

FireCohen said:

Putting my order in now
    Saw today that 1/21/21 700c is only $55. That's essentially free money for anyone who likes intermediate horizons
    If you liked it at $55 you'll love it at $48 today...