Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Oil's last ride. Buy Exxon Mobil at $40

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
The Bull has pulled the trigger on a stock that has fallen by 50% since 2015 and peak price for oil.

The selling is over for funds having to get rid of it to replicate the Dow which is kicking it out.

Big picture is oil continues to tick/drip higher little by little and above $40 per barrel, Exxon along with Chevron, Conoco can make money at that price.
Their dividend is 8% and they will borrow/kill cap ex/maneuver monies/etc to protect that at all costs. Why they can't do that forever, again with oil above $40 they can pay the dividend.
The oil crash in March/April took out the appropriate number of mid-majors. I thought there would be more which only helps them, but bottom line is there is less competition for them.

I would call this more of a trade than a long term hold but at some point over the next 12 months, Exxon will get to 46-48. Add in the dividend and your overall will be somewhere between 20-25%

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sounds like we hit peak oil?
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    Swaye's Wigwam

Without fracking and minus Saudi Arabia I think we would have in the last 5 years.

The cure for high and low oil prices has always been high and low oil prices. This time could be different with all the diff. forms of alternative energies knicking at oil, the glut of Natural Gas we have (America burns off far more than we use), the Govt. Mandated higher miles per gallon cars must hit, and know b/c of covid the change in the amount of people who will work from home and won't have to travel as much.

That's why I called it oil's last ride. It used to be the range for oil was $60-100. I can see the new norm being $30-60
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,810
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Even if there is a dramatic technological shift in energy away from petroleum there will still be demand for hydrocarbons for other uses.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    godawgst said:

Without fracking and minus Saudi Arabia I think we would have in the last 5 years.

The cure for high and low oil prices has always been high and low oil prices. This time could be different with all the diff. forms of alternative energies knicking at oil, the glut of Natural Gas we have (America burns off far more than we use), the Govt. Mandated higher miles per gallon cars must hit, and know b/c of covid the change in the amount of people who will work from home and won't have to travel as much.

That's why I called it oil's last ride. It used to be the range for oil was $60-100. I can see the new norm being $30-60
    Take away a their long TD runs, two picks and a missed field goal we would have won POTD.