Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Apple's 2 trillion $ Valuation

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
From a P/E ratio, cash generation model, debt ratio etc why not cheap, it's not out in the stratosphere.

For it to grow into the valuation (if possible) what must continue to happen and happen for them.

From what I can see

1) Continuation of Apple and Samsung essentially having a duopoly on cell phones.
2) Continuation if not increase of Apple App's growing 20-25% a year
3) Apple I pay has to become one of top 3 mobile processing payment ways (either organically or buying their way into one)
4) Apple TV has to become one of top 4 players in way people consume content.

Interesting to me, no where is computing (I pad/Mac) or wearables (Air Buds/I Watch) on that list which 10 years ago would have been two of their biggest bets.

Comments

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    godawgst said:

From a P/E ratio, cash generation model, debt ratio etc why not cheap, it's not out in the stratosphere.

For it to grow into the valuation (if possible) what must continue to happen and happen for them.

From what I can see

1) Continuation of Apple and Samsung essentially having a duopoly on cell phones.
    2) Continuation if not increase of Apple App's growing 20-25% a year
    3) Apple I pay has to become one of top 3 mobile processing payment ways (either organically or buying their way into one)
    4) Apple TV has to become one of top 4 players in way people consume content.

Interesting to me, no where is computing (I pad/Mac) or wearables (Air Buds/I Watch) on that list which 10 years ago would have been two of their biggest bets.

I think we see a retreat soon (I'm not selling). Apple's stock buybacks have goosed EPS. At 30X+ forward earnings, buybacks won't have the teeth they've had the past several years. Tim Cook is a finance guy and I wouldn't bet the farm he'll want to use FCF for buybacks at the level they have until the stock returns to a comfortable range.

After the kids pile into Apple after the split, I'd expect the institutional money and hedge funds to pivot and reduce their holdings.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Epic Games’ lawsuit against Apple. It could cost Apple a lot of future revenue if it doesn’t go their way
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    The key for Apple will be their apps. They can't rely solely on the sale of devices to keep that valuation.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2020
    Noted: The Dow is price-weighted. Apple's split will drop them down to #17 on the Dow and drag down returns for the tech sector.

Well played, Tim Cook - your Chinese overlords will be proud of putting a dent in Trump's stock market success claims with your share price shenanigans.

Wouldn't be surprised if other FAANG members follow suit and announce stock splits between now and Election Day.

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Apple is doomed. They are trying to fight progress by locking in their app store but that's going to go away almost completely in a few years.