Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Baseman lowers Starbucks (SBUX) to Hold.

2»

Comments

• SonnyShackelfordSonnyShackelford Member Posts: 915
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Baseman said:

Capex has little impact on EPS btw. Will be back to $3+ in EPS shortly and competition decimated (how’s your little corner barista going to do through all this?).

Should be trading at $90+ in this market. Quality restaurants stocks always trade at a high multiple (check out CMG)

Wrong. Cash flow from operations - Capex = Free Cash Flow

Free Cash Flow - Dividends = $ for growth or stock buybacks.

Starbucks won't cut their divided and stock Buybacks has has been a major driver of Starbucks EPS growth.

With downward pressure from decreased sales and projected capex increases for reconfiguring existing stores and closures, EPS growth will suffer for the foreseeable future.

HTH
    You’re conflating the P&L and cash flow. I wasn’t talking about FCF. And capex is a good thing and drives most of the growth. Buybacks help over time too but they only add ~2% or so per year to growth.

Those investments in on-the-go are more than maintenance capex. Some is going to unit growth too.

• SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    el oh el if you are using fundamental analysis in this market. Enjoy your 3% upside this year. Buy FAANG and TSLA, profit.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited August 2020
    Sources said:

el oh el if you are using fundamental analysis in this market. Enjoy your 3% upside this year. Buy FAANG and TSLA, profit.

I'm already up on Apple, Amazon, Google, and Chipotle. Sounds like things are different now. Pretty sure I've seen this movie before.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Sources said:

I'm already up on Apple, Amazon, Google, and Chipotle. Sounds like things are different now. Pretty sure I've seen this movie before.
    There's definitely a correction coming, but I'd rather be way up and lose 30% than flat and lose 40%. Either way, I'm completely cash outside of 401k ETFs and a few TSLA options, and likely will stay that way until the election ends

Baseman said:

Capex has little impact on EPS btw. Will be back to $3+ in EPS shortly and competition decimated (how’s your little corner barista going to do through all this?).

Should be trading at $90+ in this market. Quality restaurants stocks always trade at a high multiple (check out CMG)

Wrong. Cash flow from operations - Capex = Free Cash Flow

Free Cash Flow - Dividends = $ for growth or stock buybacks.

Starbucks won't cut their divided and stock Buybacks has has been a major driver of Starbucks EPS growth.

With downward pressure from decreased sales and projected capex increases for reconfiguring existing stores and closures, EPS growth will suffer for the foreseeable future.

HTH
    You’re conflating the P&L and cash flow. I wasn’t talking about FCF. And capex is a good thing and drives most of the growth. Buybacks help over time too but they only add ~2% or so per year to growth.

Those investments in on-the-go are more than maintenance capex. Some is going to unit growth too.

Starbucks near term Capex will do little to drive revenue. It's more about long term consumer demand. People aren't going to sit in Starbucks Cafes anymore. It's pickup your drink and go. Sales and profit are way down and it's not going to change in the near term. Last year Starbucks bought back 11.6% of their shares (not the 2% you claimed) and they still earned .30 less than the year before.

Revenue run rate is trending $4 Billion below last year (down 15%) The stock currently trades at 29x forward earnings. It was a screaming buy @ $50 earlier this year. I wouldn't pay more than $60 right now. There are better opportunities.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Sources said:

We lucky fucking big brother step up and backstopped the whole thab
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    Sources said:

el oh el if you are using fundamental analysis in this market. Enjoy your 3% upside this year. Buy MANGINA, profit.

We've gone over this already
    Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

There's definitely a correction coming, but I'd rather be way up and lose 30% than flat and lose 40%. Either way, I'm completely cash outside of 401k ETFs and a few TSLA options, and likely will stay that way until the election ends
    1 -"Buy FAANG and TSLA, profit."
    2 - "There's definitely a correction coming, but I'd rather be way up and lose 30% than flat and lose 40%. Either way, I'm completely cash outside of 401k ETFs and a few TSLA options, and likely will stay that way until the election ends"

Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

2 - "There's definitely a correction coming, but I'd rather be way up and lose 30% than flat and lose 40%. Either way, I'm completely cash outside of 401k ETFs and a few TSLA options, and likely will stay that way until the election ends"

Admittedly some contradiction there, but I should clarify that it's a matter of horizon. I tend to invest short term, which is why I'm avoiding going long on anything outside of what looks opportunistic (e.g., TSLA). For the majority of folks, buying shares of the big techs will, in the long run, far outperform the rest of the market. FAANG is also much more correction-proof in part because of the confidence people have in those companies as well as the fact that these companies have business models that don't require people in offices
    Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

buying shares of the big techs will, in the long run, far outperform the rest of the market.
    Agree, although I'm wary of Netflix going forward

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Baseman said:

Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

buying shares of the big techs will, in the long run, far outperform the rest of the market.

Would u consider it tech? More of entertainment company with a tech flair
    FireCohen said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

No. Part of FAANG, though. Crowded space with Amazon, Apple, Disney, Warner & HBO (AT&T), and Viacom CBS. Expect going forward, the existing content titans; Disney, Warner/HBO, and Viacom to stop licensing to Netflix. Expect Apple and Amazon, with their cash positions, to acquire and produce more original content. Tom Hanks signing with Apple speaks volumes.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

FireCohen said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

Baseman said:

Sources said:

No. Part of FAANG, though. Crowded space with Amazon, Apple, Disney, Warner & HBO (AT&T), and Viacom CBS. Expect going forward, the existing content titans; Disney, Warner/HBO, and Viacom to stop licensing to Netflix. Expect Apple and Amazon, with their cash positions, to acquire and produce more original content. Tom Hanks signing with Apple speaks volumes.
    Bingo with Netflix. IIRC they have lost a 1/3rd of their library to other entities taking back their content, and are losing billions in creating they own original content.

What they do have going for them is a strong overseas presence that no other current player has and maybe that's what saves them.