Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hawt Motorcycle Talk

1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
I just now realized what your avatar is. I'm on the shitter right now working out some stomach issues after watching your avatar miraculously not die Sunday morning in Austria. Did you see it?

I was streaming live when both Tomizawa and Simoncelli were killed, and I thought for sure I was going to see it again (only more violently) as soon as that bike started ghostriding itself out of the crash and back toward the track.

How both bikes split Rossi and Vinales without crushing either into a fine mist was probably the most miraculous thing I've seen on a racetrack.

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dorna removed the feed of both races with the deaths, so I'm guessing you found one of the YouTube clips that are out there. With both Simoncelli and Tomizawa, there was no hiding anything in the live feed. You knew right as it was happening that both were dead. Not something you ever expect to see in a live sporting event no matter how dangerous the sport.

I'm absolutely certain Sunday's crash would have been another death if that bike hit either Yamaha rider.

In other news, still liking that SS?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oh yeah, one more thing: Call me crazy, but I might place my first real sports bet for that little fuck Marquez to still win the championship. Particularly with Portugal added to the calendar, the guys at the top keep flaming out at a rate that's going to allow Marquez right back in it by season's end.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You try being a technically gifted bored selector while blowing ass after an exciting race!
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited August 2020

Was bored, figured I should post a picture of the SuperSport S.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to own anything other than a Ducati moving forward. I have a 2008 Ninja 650R, which I'll keep. But, I'm definitely addicted to the Ducati sound. Wouldn't mind test-riding a BMW though.

No wai! Would you rather fuck an Italian broad or a German chick?

Swaye's Wigwam
    And this is what I get for being a technically gifted bored selector. Now my hawt racing talk thread is NSFW...

Was bored, figured I should post a picture of the SuperSport S.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to own anything other than a Ducati moving forward. I have a 2008 Ninja 650R, which I'll keep. But, I'm definitely addicted to the Ducati sound. Wouldn't mind test-riding a BMW though.

I think if I were to ever want to ride on the street again, it would have to be on a bike that provides the absolute most fun per mile. Which would require either of the two extremes of the spectrum: A Superduke R (probably the stupidest--in a good way--bike money can buy) or something like a Grom or scooter or something like that that I could just hoon around on with the throttle pinned and a big laugh on my face (basically my KLX110 for the street).

As for my ride, it's undergone a little transformation since last May. Cold tire crash in T3 after being held on the grid for too long to clean up a crash ruined my pretty baby:

Had to strip it completely down to begin the $3000 repair job:

The few odds and ends I had to throw away included the subframe, fairing stay/intake, clip-ons, front master cylinder, rearset parts, frame sliders, and 100% of the bodywork:

And as it sits now:

Actually, not technically true. As it sits now is in my shop gathering dust, as I haven't had it out this year thanks to the Vid (and me getting fat, again thanks to the Vid). Lacomoto bodywork comes gel-coated black, and I can't be bothered to paint it this time, so that'll do. It's a track bike. On the bright side, I used a misdiagnosed failed shift sensor as an excuse to upgrade to clutchless shifting in both directions, which is fucking magic.

/csb
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like the Pit Bull front stand, but I swear by Woodcraft rear stands. They got the leverage ratio perfect, so it's effortless to lift the bike. All in a stand that's way more compact and light than the Pit Bull. I used to have that exact same forward lift Pit Bull stand (only for double sided swingarm), and I never liked it. Forward lift was good in theory, but had its downsides. Was particularly bad for the track.

I'm a big fan of everything Woodcraft does. It's always no-nonsense, get the job done with the fewest frills, but strong, light, easy/cheap to swap. They're actually redesigning their clutch cover for the R1 after feedback from my crash (ground the cover down instead of the sacrificial pad).

That being said, I love love LOVE Pit Bull's trailer restraint system.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I actually love this thread. As some of you know my Dad raced Enduro really seriously in the 70's, and I grew up racing YZ80's and the like (topped out in the old 125 class), converted to Harleys in my early 20's (1965 panhead with Metallica's Ride the Lightning Cover art on the tank fuck yeah!), and ended up with a VRod for several years that I rode with my Dad (him on an Indian Scout). I sold it after Dad got sick because he was the only person I liked to ride with.

Anyway, I always wanted to try a crotch rocket, because I sort of like speed (duh), but at this point (late 40's) I feel like I would just look like a retard and kill myself. I've always enjoyed watching the racing though - side note: Isle of Man is probably the ballsiest shit I've ever seen and I have landed on aircraft carriers at night. Epic.

Responded first and foremost to Ruth it (double-chin).

Also, though, I'll admit that I was one of those anti-Harley snobs after a very limited sample: My dad is now retired, but he and I used to work shift work at the same place. One day he rode in on his FLXHDQBS55LLT to relieve me for a night shift, so I told him to give me his helmet and jacket and rode the thing home and back the next morning. It badly fell into turns (top heavy and terrible geometry), numbed my hands and feet by the first stoplight, and I kept scraping the floorboards if I didn't slow to half speed through turns. Talked shit about them ever since.

Then he bought one of the new Milwaukee Eight FLXJQBBC45s, and my mind was changed. They make a proper motorcycle now, as it doesn't rattle your teeth, actually corners in a neutral manner, etc. I was impressed. Still don't want one. I've also radically softened on my Harley Hatorade, too, as I realize I'm the one being the deuche°, to each their own, etc. etc.

That being said, the South Park Harley episode is still my favorite of all time...

As for crotch rockets, you've catapulted off an aircraft carrier, so I just doubt you'd have the same reaction as I did the first time I whacked the throttle on a liter bike. Hell, you'd have to try out top fuel drag racing to come close to getting the same sensation (mad respeck, btw). You should still try one if you get the chance. It will make you realize that, although both definitely have their place, a cruiser and a modern sport bike should not even be considered the same kind of vehicle. Just an altogether different thing. You have to be in some kind of shape to even get onto one (any shape but round should do), but it sounds like you've done enough coke to be skinny for at least another decade or two. I spent the first week after I got my first sport bike begging everyone I know to get on the back, as I just wanted every one of them to experience the insane rush of 165 hp on full boil (weak by today's standards). Anyway, VIR is in your backyard. Doooo iiiiiit....

As for appreciation for the TT, did we just become best friends? My bucket list has like four things on it, and one is making it to the TT before enough people have died that it's shut down for good.

This thread should have been in the Shoppe. I am a tool.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One more thing: Kudos on the VRod. Like nearly every one of HD's good deeds, the hardcore HD fans shit on it and forced Harley to kill it sooner than it should have been killed. Instead of killing the VRod, they should have killed everything that wasn't a VRod and adapted various displacements/tunes of that engine into all of the rest of their bikes. They wouldn't be in the dire straits that they're in now had they done so. That motor was designed by Porsche. I always wanted to try one of those things.
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

I actually love this thread. As some of you know my Dad raced Enduro really seriously in the 70's, and I grew up racing YZ80's and the like (topped out in the old 125 class), converted to Harleys in my early 20's (1965 panhead with Metallica's Ride the Lightning Cover art on the tank fuck yeah!), and ended up with a VRod for several years that I rode with my Dad (him on an Indian Scout). I sold it after Dad got sick because he was the only person I liked to ride with.

Anyway, I always wanted to try a crotch rocket, because I sort of like speed (duh), but at this point (late 40's) I feel like I would just look like a retard and kill myself. I've always enjoyed watching the racing though - side note: Isle of Man is probably the ballsiest shit I've ever seen and I have landed on aircraft carriers at night. Epic.

Responded first and foremost to Ruth it (double-chin).

Also, though, I'll admit that I was one of those anti-Harley snobs after a very limited sample: My dad is now retired, but he and I used to work shift work at the same place. One day he rode in on his FLXHDQBS55LLT to relieve me for a night shift, so I told him to give me his helmet and jacket and rode the thing home and back the next morning. It badly fell into turns (top heavy and terrible geometry), numbed my hands and feet by the first stoplight, and I kept scraping the floorboards if I didn't slow to half speed through turns. Talked shit about them ever since.

Then he bought one of the new Milwaukee Eight FLXJQBBC45s, and my mind was changed. They make a proper motorcycle now, as it doesn't rattle your teeth, actually corners in a neutral manner, etc. I was impressed. Still don't want one. I've also radically softened on my Harley Hatorade, too, as I realize I'm the one being the deuche°, to each their own, etc. etc.

That being said, the South Park Harley episode is still my favorite of all time...

As for crotch rockets, you've catapulted off an aircraft carrier, so I just doubt you'd have the same reaction as I did the first time I whacked the throttle on a liter bike. Hell, you'd have to try out top fuel drag racing to come close to getting the same sensation (mad respeck, btw). You should still try one if you get the chance. It will make you realize that, although both definitely have their place, a cruiser and a modern sport bike should not even be considered the same kind of vehicle. Just an altogether different thing. You have to be in some kind of shape to even get onto one (any shape but round should do), but it sounds like you've done enough coke to be skinny for at least another decade or two. I spent the first week after I got my first sport bike begging everyone I know to get on the back, as I just wanted every one of them to experience the insane rush of 165 hp on full boil (weak by today's standards). Anyway, VIR is in your backyard. Doooo iiiiiit....

As for appreciation for the TT, did we just become best friends? My bucket list has like four things on it, and one is making it to the TT before enough people have died that it's shut down for good.

This thread should have been in the Shoppe. I am a tool.
    My first grown up bike was that 65 Panhead. I loved her, in a way, like a super sexy mistress who sometimes kicks you in the balls for no reason kind of way. I learned two things from that experience. First, buy lots of tools. Second, get a pan to catch oil. I loved the bike, but it wore me out fixing it. I can be honest. Old Harleys look cool, but they are insufferable pieces of shit. The VROD though....that's HD on an entirely different level. Sure it's no Ducati Diavel, but it showed Ducati the way to even make that bike. I loved that bike, and only sold it because of the aforementioned health issues with my riding buddy, Dad. I recall buying it and even the sales guys weren't pumped on it. It just got no factory support and all the purists hated it because no Harley is water cooled...idiots...it was far and away the best bike HD ever made and showed what they were capable of if they kept pushing their tech and design teams, but they wimped out to the dying geriatric crowd and built bigger land cruisers instead. Dumb.

I will agree their modern bikes are MUCH more reliable and enjoyable rides then anything pre- 2000.

A neighbor has a BMW cruiser which caught my eye. Neat looking bike and I am sure it's bulletproof. I'm also a big fan of that show Ride with Norman Reedus and I dig that Triumph he always rides. Adventure bike. Whatever you call it. Pretty sweet. Hell, I like the Diavel. It's pretty much a VROD taken to it's logical extreme and even more finely crafted.

Yeah, Isle of Man is next level shit. Those guys have balls you'd have to carry around in a wheelbarrow. Insane. I love it.
    Founders Club

I have never been a Harley fan. I'd rather have an Indian. But, I always liked the VROD. I knew very little about motorcycles back when the VROD came out, but I liked it right away. One of my co-workers and his wife were getting VRODs and he talked about it extensively. I went to Eastside Harley last year to just look around and they had a used VROD in the lot. I wasn't really looking to buy another bike since I had just purchased the SuperSport. If I didn't have the Ducati already, I may have considered snagging that VROD. It was very clean.

And I agree with @1to392831weretaken, @Swaye... I started riding just two years ago at the ripe old age of 47. My friend Ron (former F-14 pilot) also got into riding at the same time and he's a couple of years older than me. It's all about getting the proper training and then riding your own ride. Knowing you, you'll go balls to the wall with this motorcycle thing because you never half-ass anything. :D

That's my plan as well once things get a little less busy for me. I'm looking at doing some track days next spring & summer.

That's the fear Bazey. If I liked crotch rockets and track days you know I'd end up with three bikes, an enclosed trailer, complete 6 foot roll around Snap On tool locker, and have to add an addition onto the house to keep it all. Between watches, guns, cigars and Jeeps I have no room for more hobbies. I have too many as is and I do them all 100%.
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's my plan as well once things get a little less busy for me. I'm looking at doing some track days next spring & summer.

Swaye said:

That's the fear Bazey. If I liked crotch rockets and track days you know I'd end up with three bikes, an enclosed trailer, complete 6 foot roll around Snap On tool locker, and have to add an addition onto the house to keep it all. Between watches, guns, cigars and Jeeps I have no room for more hobbies. I have too many as is and I do them all 100%.

You guys are kind of both right. No way would I take a Ducati that pretty and pristine out on track. The cost to repair a single low-side would pay for a dedicated track bike that you don't worry about crashing and would be quicker around a circuit anyway. The most costly crash I ever had was the day I took a street bike to the track. In fact, I only brought it as a grocery getter during the day, as my buddy and I were going to take turns on my track bike. He got bumped up to the same group as me, so the street bike had to come out. Had to take evasive maneuvers to avoid a supermoto parked in the middle of the blind downhill apex of Turn 1 at Pacific Raceways. 170 mph leaned over is no time to be taking evasive maneuvers... Missed T-boning the dude and killing us both, but had to run through the infield, cross the track again, through the outfield (the wall has since been moved waaaaaay back from where it was then), and plowed the tire wall still going at least 60 mph. I threw the bike at the last second and bike and I simultaneously slammed into that wall. I watched it hit, the tires explode everywhere, and next thing I know my buddy was waking me up. That was a $6000 repair.

When my younger brother wanted to go to the track with me, he picked up a really sweet bike on craigslist. 2007 GSXR600 for $3200. Ohlins TTX36 shock on the rear, GP carts in the fork, so the suspension alone cost more than the asking price of the bike. I took it out one session just to check it out, and I absolutely loved it. GSXRs may be the squidliest bike on the market, but they're very rider friendly, more comfortable than their competition, sweet handling, and very cheap to both buy and repair due to all the squids constantly crashing them.

Long story short, if you're serious about going to the track, find a cheap 600 that's already prepped and do it right. Then PM me and I'll dial you in like @IrishDawg22. Probably even meet you there if it works with my schedule. I rolled solo my first track day because I didn't know anybody, and that's no way to go.

Unfortunately, there is really limited inventory of track bikes on craigslist right now, and most of the ones there are overpriced relative to previous seasons, I guess because COVID? I see an R1 that's priced to move, but old liter bikes without modern traction control are widowmakers. A 600 is a way better first track weapon, don't burn through tires at a phenomenal rate, and don't make so much power that traction control really matters. There's currently an overpriced R6 and a slightly less overpriced Ninja 6R locally (the latter a pretty sweet setup, though). Probably be worth waiting until February/March to see if things return to normal before next season.

I could REALLY ramble on about this, but I'll just leave it at PM me if you're really thinking about doing this, and I can help you through. I'll warn you that @Swaye's right: riding on the track is every bit the leap in addiction from street riding that street riding is from not riding at all. This could get very expensive for you. I buy a set of tires every four days, a set of knee pucks every day, entry fees, fuel for bike and generator, new leathers every time I get fatter.

Worth it.