Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Wife Is Getting Half Of My Pension In A Divorce!

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I thought it was funny how Dave indirectly told this guy he has jack crap in the bank for retirement.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I've told my kids that if they learn nothing else from my vast reservoir of wisdom, they should take away three immutable truths: (1) get an education; (2) expect nothing from other people; and (3) be very, very, very careful who you marry. #3 may be the most important. Nothing can sidetrack you like a bad marriage.

I've lost count of friends who had to divide it all up by 2 and start over in their 50s. What a shit show. That doesn't include the years of mental torture and accompanying lack of life progress that comes with it.

And, yet, men are the worst. This is where leading with our cocks really gets us. Of those buddies who've done the divided by 2 dance, 90% remarry. WTF? Just have a girlfriend. She can live with you, live off of you, you pay all expenses and everybody has a good time. Why the need to fuck that up with marriage.

Marriage is good for one thing, and one thing only: child rearing. When that's in your rear-view mirror, don't fucking do it.

I would never, under any circumstances, remarry. Not ever. I am dead sure of that.

Exemption: Unless you can score v2.0 with a defined benefit pension.

Ka Ching!

True. If v.2 makes you wealthier, then boom! Do it. It's usually the other way around, but I would definitely marry up.

Problem is, we? (men) are externally focused beings, even when we get old. I could never be involved with an ugly woman. So you have to score on both counts or it's a no go. Hitting both variables in the same person has to be less-than-10% odds.
    The Throbber is a 1%'er.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    doogie said:

I've told my kids that if they learn nothing else from my vast reservoir of wisdom, they should take away three immutable truths: (1) get an education; (2) expect nothing from other people; and (3) be very, very, very careful who you marry. #3 may be the most important. Nothing can sidetrack you like a bad marriage.

I've lost count of friends who had to divide it all up by 2 and start over in their 50s. What a shit show. That doesn't include the years of mental torture and accompanying lack of life progress that comes with it.

And, yet, men are the worst. This is where leading with our cocks really gets us. Of those buddies who've done the divided by 2 dance, 90% remarry. WTF? Just have a girlfriend. She can live with you, live off of you, you pay all expenses and everybody has a good time. Why the need to fuck that up with marriage.

Marriage is good for one thing, and one thing only: child rearing. When that's in your rear-view mirror, don't fucking do it.

I would never, under any circumstances, remarry. Not ever. I am dead sure of that.

Exemption: Unless you can score v2.0 with a defined benefit pension.

Ka Ching!

True. If v.2 makes you wealthier, then boom! Do it. It's usually the other way around, but I would definitely marry up.

Problem is, we? (men) are externally focused beings, even when we get old. I could never be involved with an ugly woman. So you have to score on both counts or it's a no go. Hitting both variables in the same person has to be less-than-10% odds.
    and end up like @Swaye?
    I'm wicked smaht!
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

My parents actually gave me the same advice @creepycoug. Marrying purely for love has been a relatively recent development in human history, but people should always remember that first and foremost it is a *business* arrangement.

Still, you’ll have to forgive me if I call bullshit on the “don’t get remarried” advice. Several members of this very bored have divorced, remarried, and seem to be very happy. Do what makes the most sense for you and your significant other. If you learned your lessons from the first go around, don’t let fear and past failures dictate what you do.
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2020

My parents actually gave me the same advice @creepycoug. Marrying purely for love has been a relatively recent development in human history, but people should always remember that first and foremost it is a *business* arrangement.

Still, you’ll have to forgive me if I call bullshit on the “don’t get remarried” advice. Several members of this very bored have divorced, remarried, and seem to be very happy. Do what makes the most sense for you and your significant other. If you learned your lessons from the first go around, don’t let fear and past failures dictate what you do.
    I should qualify that advice. It depends on your age and how much you have to lose. If you had a bad one the first go-round and you're still relatively young, sure, why not.

But in your late 40s/50s/60s? Fuck outta here. It's dumb unless you stand to benefit financially; not the other way around.

My point is this: it is as serious (and risky) a legal relationship as any you're likely to ever engage in your life, and it's built and designed for child rearing. Outside of raising a family, you will have to talk me into the rationale for getting married again, particularly if you've hit that age bracket I mentioned. Why? What purpose? What is gained? What is lost for not doing it other than flexibility? You can have all the marriage goodies, including health directives and shit, without creating a legal relationship that is relatively painful to unwind.

People give more critical thought to buying a car than they do marriage. I see it all the tim. Never again. Not likely to be an issue for me, but if it is, never, ever, ever, ever again.
    Absolutely. It depends on not only your age, but your financial situation, if you have kids, etc. Like 4 year university programs, marriage is not for everyone.

I’m not going to get into debating the pros/cons of the institution...I spent a good portion of my dating career doing that with many of my ex boyfriends 😄, I just wanted to give my PSA that marriage can be a viable relationship option, even if some money grubbing gold digging harpie cleaned you out on your first go.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I almost married a Mormon.

Yep.
    Standard Supporter

Yep.

@89ute, true???!
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Even a live-in girlfriend can take half your shit. Look at California as the prime example, but even in most states, they might not be entitled to spousal support, but they still are able to take a nice chunk of your stuff. Just pay for it. The $1k plus to get a high quality hooker every couple weeks, is a discount over a long legal battle. Plus the hooker is good at her job, and you can have variety.
    Funny...when I first started working the older guy I was working with gave me the same advice. Except he phrased it as a monthly trip to Vegas with a few rounds with a pro.

He had lost a boatload to his ex-wife...
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2020
    Swaye said:

Yep.

Fun fact. Young mormon girls are oftentimes hot as fuck.
    And they do things differently