Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Which company gets forced to break up first?

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Apple: 57B in profits. 12 more than #2 Microsoft.

Facebook: 50% of all people on Earth who have a computer have an account with them (approx)

Google: 90% of all internet searches done go thru them

Amazon: 40% of all on-line purchases are done with them.

Comments

• alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Well, Google is already Alphabet. So I go with Apple.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2020
    Amazon.

Apple still has strong competition in the cell phone industry. There's only 3 serious contenders in a pie with 300m units in the US alone.

Google is a strong candidate, but I don't think there is much of a bearer to entry in this market. I just don't think the search engine business is as profitable as it used to be. Google does a lot of other things that add to the bottom line.

Amazon is going to be first, because it's not only creating a bearer to enter into it's space, it's also disrupting both the retail and shipping industries. Amazon is the primary reason malls are closing left and right; they are also infringing on UPS, Fedex, and USPS.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Amazon (and then probably Google). Amazon makes the most sense because of its structure...Amazon Web Services as a stand-alone business is probably worth over half a trillion. They may just split it off before being forced to, but it is funding a lot of other Bezos pet projects.

Allows everyone to take a scalp without actually addressing the monopoly aspect of any of them.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    Swaye's Wigwam

Amazon (and then probably Google). Amazon makes the most sense because of its structure...Amazon Web Services as a stand-alone business is probably worth over half a trillion. They may just split it off before being forced to, but it is funding a lot of other Bezos pet projects.

Allows everyone to take a scalp without actually addressing the monopoly aspect of any of them.

Amazon will fight it the most b/c AWS (along with Prime} helps hide how little Amazon truly makes in on-line sales
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    godawgst said:

Amazon will fight it the most b/c AWS (along with Prime} helps hide how little Amazon truly makes in on-line sales
    Yeah, but you'd be keeping Prime with Amazon proper, and with them probably gouging their sellers on the shipping side I'm sure they will be fine. Read somewhere a while back Costco makes basically nothing on all their sales...their entire profit margin is their membership fees. Prime has something like 115 million members...at a $150/year that's more "profit" for Amazon than they have ever recorded (I know...not like-for-like because of video and some of the other perks/etc just more for argument's sake). You get even a small margin on their sales revenues and they will be printing money for a long time...I'd argue the bigger worry for them is if/when their growth in sales slows down from market saturation or competition but it hasn't happened yet and probably won't for a while.

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Amazon should be first one to be broken up, but it has bought a lot goodwill with the whole pandemics bs and ppl generally love it. Going to be hard to build the political momentum to break it up
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,681
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Amazon.

Apple still has strong competition in the cell phone industry. There's only 3 serious contenders in a pie with 300m units in the US alone.

Google is a strong candidate, but I don't think there is much of a bearer to entry in this market. I just don't think the search engine business is as profitable as it used to be. Google does a lot of other things that add to the bottom line.

Amazon is going to be first, because it's not only creating a bearer to enter into it's space, it's also disrupting both the retail and shipping industries. Amazon is the primary reason malls are closing left and right; they are also infringing on UPS, Fedex, and USPS.

People forget that it's was Standard Oil's relationships with the railroads that ultimately got it broken up.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'd be shocked if Amazon isn't broken up in the next 5 years ... I suspect that AWS will be broken out as a stand-alone at minimum.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I'd be shocked if Amazon isn't broken up in the next 5 years ... I suspect that AWS will be broken out as a stand-alone at minimum.

Originally that was my thought as well, but AWS along with Prime Memberships could make up 90% of their overall profits.

What is the mothership of a standalone Amazon's stock worth if they truly peel back the onion and find they sell 50 billion worth of merchandise every 3 months and make next to nothing doing so?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Prime = Consumer

AWS = Corporate

Problem solved
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

godawgst said:

Yeah, but you'd be keeping Prime with Amazon proper, and with them probably gouging their sellers on the shipping side I'm sure they will be fine. Read somewhere a while back Costco makes basically nothing on all their sales...their entire profit margin is their membership fees. Prime has something like 115 million members...at a $150/year that's more "profit" for Amazon than they have ever recorded (I know...not like-for-like because of video and some of the other perks/etc just more for argument's sake). You get even a small margin on their sales revenues and they will be printing money for a long time...I'd argue the bigger worry for them is if/when their growth in sales slows down from market saturation or competition but it hasn't happened yet and probably won't for a while.

I think this is essentially true from all I've heard as well. I used to do a lot of work for them and their people would always tell me that their think margins wasn't bullshit.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Amazon is quickly becoming our Brawndo.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I hate it when companies give people what they want quickly, efficiently and inexpensively. These monsters must be stopped by the government.

I remember my not letting the market to decide phase.

http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/2008/07/nokia_the_dominant_global_computing_monopoly_by_2011_discuss.html

I'm conflicted. Intellectually, what you say is true. But I always thought the efficiency of the market was predicated on competition. When any company gets so big that they stymie competition, we? have a problem. You hear different accounts, but Microsoft was buying and killing anything that resembled competition for years. It became a fundamental aspect of their business model, and people inside would tell me they were becoming like the Big 3 before Japanese imports forced their reinvention.

I was offered a GC spot at a regional bank once, and over lunch with their guy in charge of, you know, banking, asked him what their #1 threat is, expecting him to cite some other bank or some shitty regulatory trend or some obvious macro-economic trend. He just popped off with "Amazon". They live in fear of Amazon just deciding to get into the residential or commercial, or both, lending business.

It occured to me that they could do it if they wanted to, and I wondered how healthy it would be for the economy for one centrally-run bidness to have that much control over such a wide range of goods and services.

Anyway, I have no definitive opinion about this, but my instincts are always that moar competition is better than less.
    GE got fucking massive with it’s ge capital nonsense and really too big had to be chopped down. Pretty sure will something of similar effect eventually