Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Man of the people

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
https://foxbusiness.com/economy/trumps-weighs-executive-action-to-suspend-evictions-payroll-tax

President Trump said on Monday he was considering taking executive action to halt evictions and suspend payroll taxes, as Republicans and Democrats struggle to negotiate another aid package for American families and workers still reeling from the coronavirus pandemic.

“A lot of people are going to be evicted, but I’m going to stop it because I’ll do it myself if I have to,” Trump told reporters at the White House. “I have a lot of powers with respect to executive orders, and we’re looking at that very seriously right now.”

Trump noted that individuals who are evicted often go to homeless shelters where, he said, they could be at higher risk of contracting COVID-19.

An eviction moratorium included in the CARES Act, protecting an estimated 12 million renters in federally backed properties, expired at the end of July.

There are some 110 million Americans living in rental households; up to 23 million renters – or 20 percent – are at risk of eviction by Sept. 30, according to an analysis by the COVID-19 Eviction Defense Project.

With the supplemental $600 in unemployment benefits now officially lapsed, about 24 million Americans say they have little to no chance of being able to pay next month's rent, according to a survey by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Rent and mortgage payments are typically the largest monthly expense for Americans: One in four tenant families pays more than half of its income for rent, a rate that’s even higher in cities like San Francisco and New York, according to Harvard’s Joint Center for Housing Studies.

“They’re thrown out viciously," Trump said. "It's not their fault."

Both parties are under growing pressure to reach a deal days after the sweetened jobless aid expired, dealing a major financial blow to the millions of Americans who lost their jobs during the pandemic. But they remain at odds on some of the most critical issues, including an extension of the jobless aid and help for renters facing eviction — two issues that Trump said he wants to prioritize in the next round of aid.

The White House has floated for both measures to be extended in a short-term deal as negotiators try to cut a broader deal, but Democrats have rejected the proposal.

“We want to work on the evictions so that people don’t get evicted. We’ll work on the payments for the people,” Trump said last week. “And the rest of it, we’re so far apart, we don’t care. We really don’t care. We want to take care of the people.”

At least someone realizes how fucked the economy is even though I have been assured that this isn't an issue that anyone cares about

The old renter landlord issue will rip this country to shreds. But by all means stay under the bed cowering in fear

Comments

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Yes, allow renters to skip out on rent while expecting landlords to eat the losses and remain solvent on their mortgage. This country is fucked.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The economy doesn't matter according to some experts
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,065

https://foxbusiness.com/economy/trumps-weighs-executive-action-to-suspend-evictions-payroll-tax

President Trump said on Monday he was considering taking executive action to halt evictions and suspend payroll taxes, as Republicans and Democrats struggle to negotiate another aid package for American families and workers still reeling from the coronavirus pandemic.

“A lot of people are going to be evicted, but I’m going to stop it because I’ll do it myself if I have to,” Trump told reporters at the White House. “I have a lot of powers with respect to executive orders, and we’re looking at that very seriously right now.”

Trump noted that individuals who are evicted often go to homeless shelters where, he said, they could be at higher risk of contracting COVID-19.

An eviction moratorium included in the CARES Act, protecting an estimated 12 million renters in federally backed properties, expired at the end of July.

There are some 110 million Americans living in rental households; up to 23 million renters – or 20 percent – are at risk of eviction by Sept. 30, according to an analysis by the COVID-19 Eviction Defense Project.

With the supplemental $600 in unemployment benefits now officially lapsed, about 24 million Americans say they have little to no chance of being able to pay next month's rent, according to a survey by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Rent and mortgage payments are typically the largest monthly expense for Americans: One in four tenant families pays more than half of its income for rent, a rate that’s even higher in cities like San Francisco and New York, according to Harvard’s Joint Center for Housing Studies.

Both parties are under growing pressure to reach a deal days after the sweetened jobless aid expired, dealing a major financial blow to the millions of Americans who lost their jobs during the pandemic. But they remain at odds on some of the most critical issues, including an extension of the jobless aid and help for renters facing eviction — two issues that Trump said he wants to prioritize in the next round of aid.

The White House has floated for both measures to be extended in a short-term deal as negotiators try to cut a broader deal, but Democrats have rejected the proposal.

“We want to work on the evictions so that people don’t get evicted. We’ll work on the payments for the people,” Trump said last week. “And the rest of it, we’re so far apart, we don’t care. We really don’t care. We want to take care of the people.”

At least someone realizes how fucked the economy is even though I have been assured that this isn't an issue that anyone cares about

The old renter landlord issue will rip this country to shreds. But by all means stay under the bed cowering in fear

Do you think it’s possible the Democrats “rejected” the proposal because of pork barrel politics and not because they hate the American public?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

Do you think it’s possible the Democrats “rejected” the proposal because of pork barrel politics and not because they hate the American public?

You sound defensive

Who said they hate the public? Care to address the actual substance for a change?
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,065

MelloDawg said:

You sound defensive

Who said they hate the public? Care to address the actual substance for a change?
    You bolded the phrase, I assumed that was the substance. To be fair, it happens on both sides always.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

Ah, yes, our resident centrist.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

MelloDawg said:

You sound defensive

You bolded the phrase, I assumed that was the substance. To be fair, it happens on both sides always.
    I did not bold a phrase about hating the public

The democrats did reject the proposal

And it did not happen on both sides

Anything else?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

As a centrist I can see the Republicans proposal was full of pork, but the Dems proposal is pure, special interest free for the American public. It’s obvious...if you’re a centrist.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    MelloDawg said:

No
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2020
    @HHusky and I stand firm against Trump’s lawlessness. Those leases are contracts that must be upheld, ‘pandemic” be damned!
  • incremetal_progressincremetal_progress Member Posts: 358
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    MelloDawg said:

Signing off on the final death knell to the United States Postal Service was a step too far for even the feckless Dems.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    It’s almost like he’s bailing water as fast as he can
    Swaye's Wigwam

MelloDawg said:

Signing off on the final death knell to the United States Postal Service was a step too far for even the feckless Dems.

Mail? That's still a thing?
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

MelloDawg said:

It needs to be privatized and is a massive financial drain as a failed government run entity.