Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Parental choice - Like salt to a slug for the left.

WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Standard Supporter
Leftards hate choice. They love the state. Education of our kids is not to involve parents. Leftards hate homeschoolers, private schools (unless they are the ones they are sending their kids to) and public charter schools. The incredible hypocrisy of denying an inner city black parent the opportunity to get a real education while white leftards lecture us about the importance of public schools while sending their kids to private schools. This alone is the closest thing to institutional systemic racism. Terminating public charter schools is one of the demands of the Cali teacher unions that are supposed to be met before they go back to teaching this fall.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/08/the-case-for-charter-schools.php

THE CASE FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS

Kevin Williams reviews Thomas Sowell’s new book on charter schools in the July 27 issue of National Review. The review is published under the headline “The Collapsing Case against Charter Schools.” ...

And the numbers? That’s the bloodbath I mentioned.

There is, as one would expect, significant variability in the performance of the charter schools, just as there is significant variability in the performance of the conventional public schools. (And here it bears underscoring: Charter schools are public schools, publicly funded and serving public-school students; the difference is that charter schools are relieved of some of the constraints imposed on conventional schools by public-sector unions, their financial interests, and the political interests built atop those financial interests.) In almost every case, the charter schools — including the worst of them — outperformed the conventional public schools operating in the same buildings, in the same neighborhoods, serving very similar students. In most cases, the share of charter-school students achieving proficiency or better on standardized tests was a multiple of the number of the conventional public-school students doing so; similarly, in most cases the number of conventional public-school students receiving the lowest classification on those same tests was some multiple of the number of charter-school students doing so. Sowell lets the data speak for themselves, reporting the high and low English and math figures for each of his comparison sets.

For the charter schools, the data are a litany of triumph, and for the conventional public schools, they are a lamentation….

Williamson concludes his review on a bitter if realistic note: “Our political culture is sick, and many of our institutions are corrupt. Many of them would not be capable of acting on what they could learn from Charter Schools and Their Enemies even if they were so inclined, which they aren’t. Thomas Sowell is a national treasure in a nation that does not entirely deserve him.”

Comments

• Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,761
    Founders Club
    There’s literally no argument against them.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Bob_C said:

Uh, racism?
  • BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited August 2020
    There's plenty of arguments against charter schools.

Democrats aren't pro-choice? When did that happen?
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Probably started around the late 60s I’d say
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Bob_C said:

Uh, racism?
    There's a lot of White Savioring going on in Charters, no doubt. And strict rules where predominantly non-white kids are treated like they're in the military. That stuff goes on and racism is part of it, that's true. They also cook their books a lot, but so do the regular public schools.

But when you look at average test scores, college placements and attendance rates, graduation rates from both HS and college, it's hard to argue that charters aren't a godsend for a lot of kids who's only other option was the shitty, failed neighborhood schools.
    BayDawg said:

There were and there still are, but the publics can't stop shooting themselves in the foot, and racism is the official policy today in districts like Seattle where an Ethnic Study Course that includes reading that racist screed "White Fragility" or Kendi's equally ridiculous "Anti-Racism" books are officially now part of the curriculum. Neither book is fact-based or science-based, but instead based mostly on old rhetoric, stereotypes and personal anecdotes from the racist authors of each.

My parents were both teachers and I've done a ton of work in the schools and behind the scenes in SPS, and from what I experienced and saw, my faith in the traditional schools is dropping like a rock, while my faith in charters has increased. It deeply saddens me to see this happening, but I would not send my kids to public schools in Seattle anymore, because doing so today would be tantamount to child abuse. Fuck that.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

BayDawg said:

There were and there still are, but the publics can't stop shooting themselves in the foot, and racism is the official policy today in districts like Seattle where an Ethnic Study Course that includes reading that racist screed "White Fragility" or Kendi's equally ridiculous "Anti-Racism" books are officially now part of the curriculum. Neither book is fact-based or science-based, but instead based mostly on old rhetoric, stereotypes and personal anecdotes from the racist authors of each.

My parents were both teachers and I've done a ton of work in the schools and behind the scenes in SPS, and from what I experienced and saw, my faith in the traditional schools is dropping like a rock, while my faith in charters has increased. It deeply saddens me to see this happening, but I would not send my kids to public schools in Seattle anymore, because doing so today would be tantamount to child abuse. Fuck that.
    Formal education is completely archaic and hasn't adjusted to modern life.

BayDawg said:

Formal education is completely archaic and hasn't adjusted to modern life.
    It's all about content anymore. And critical thinking is yet another one of those "white" traits the public schools will be condemning as they seek to purge "whiteness" from public schools. So it's quite simple: Brainwash or Bust.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    Founders Club
    Sweden hot talk, all schools are charter schools in Sweden. Kids apply and get accepted to every school from 1yo on up. Every school is publicly funded based on census and are a mix of publicly and privately run.
  • BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,252
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Democrats are dead set against charter schools. They literally don't care about inner city black children. They only care about the $ teachers unions bring in and the votes of rat teachers. Democrats are also against vouchers. Anyone remember the heart broken kids in the NE when BO cold heartedly took them away and the poor inner city kids had to go back into substandard schools.
    Standard Supporter

BayDawg said:

I can't remember where I got the link but there's a podcast called Blocked and Reported. 2 very liberal hosts. They did 2 episodes covering White Fragility and absolutely tore it apart
    YAWFMS.

That lesbo went HAM on that. #MyTabibibibibibibibibibibibiiiii tore apart too.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,650
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2020

BayDawg said:

I can't remember where I got the link but there's a podcast called Blocked and Reported. 2 very liberal hosts. They did 2 episodes covering White Fragility and absolutely tore it apart
    Just started reading Ben Shapiro's book "How To Destroy America in Three Easy Steps". The practitioners are called Disintegrationists and focus solely on that which divides us and exceptions to common American themes of history, culture and philosophy. White Fragility is just one subset of the attack.

The Disintegrationists are the hyenas who prey on the weakest of the herd who wander from the powerful union of shared good.

Standard Supporter

BayDawg said:

YAWFMS.

That lesbo went HAM on that. #MyTabibibibibibibibibibibibiiiii tore apart too.
    https://barpodcast.fireside.fm/17
    https://barpodcast.fireside.fm/bonus2
    There's a plump, but very smart former Lefty named Karlyn Borycenko who wrote a now famous article in some magazine of daring to be a Lefty going to a Trump rally in New Hampshire. After having her mind blown by the decency, honesty, respect and acceptance she felt amongst a huge Trump supporting crowd of New Hampshirites, she awoke from her "woke" state and realized she'd been completely brainwashed by the media for several years.

She's got a Masters or MBA, plus a PhD in Organizational Psychology, which requires the polar opposite of what's being taught by the anti-racists today, in order for groups of people to learn to get along and work as a cohesive unit in the workplace. Naturally, she read Robin DeAngelo's BBC Plea, er "White Fragility" and tore it to pieces in a couple of YouTube videos. I'll link them if I can find them. But either way, this Borycenko chick totally gets it.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
    Standard Supporter
    Why is it so hard to have an honest conversation about race that the left continues to tell us they want to have but really don't? Honesty and leftardism mix like oil and water.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sowell's new book is excellent. And for those who want to educated themselves on the history of this nation, "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" is a must read. It should be part of school's curriculum. (Lol, yeah right)

Why is it so hard to have an honest conversation about race that the left continues to tell us they want to have but really don't? Honesty and leftardism mix like oil and water.

Why is a book by an old, blue-haired hag who didn't start college until her 30s and didn't finish until her 40s, but now peddles White Guilt and White Supremacy to pay for her 3 houses, not recognized for the snake oil it actually is?
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
    Standard Supporter

Why is a book by an old, blue-haired hag who didn't start college until her 30s and didn't finish until her 40s, but now peddles White Guilt and White Supremacy to pay for her 3 houses, not recognized for the snake oil it actually is?
    Leftist lie and love to be lied to. They are also supported by the MSM and US education system that deems any dissent as a fireable offense.