Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My Husband Wants to Buy a $5,000 Gun

2»

Comments

• NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    ntxduck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Didn't watch this clip, but Dave Ramsey is an idiot about some things. His car buying advice is horrendous.

Disagree
    His advice would have told me to pay $40k cash for my wife's car rather than take advantage of 0% interest. Burning $40k at once when there is no financial benefit is terrible advice.
    OK yeah if there's 0% interest I'll give you that.

His advice of "drive a beater until your out of debt" has been really good for us.

We're within spitting distance of finishing student loans which is the last of the consumer debt/medical/credit cards/car payments/etc in Baby Step 2.

We're more Daveish than gazelle intense but it's been helpful for us.
    I still drive my car from high school because the son of a bitch won’t die. Or even break down and need minor repairs. Anything to give me a reason to buy a new car
    That 1986 Honda Civic Sport hatchback was an awesome vehicle.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

Didn't watch this clip, but Dave Ramsey is an idiot about some things. His car buying advice is horrendous.

Disagree
    His advice would have told me to pay $40k cash for my wife's car rather than take advantage of 0% interest. Burning $40k at once when there is no financial benefit is terrible advice.

His advice of "drive a beater until your out of debt" has been really good for us.

We're within spitting distance of finishing student loans which is the last of the consumer debt/medical/credit cards/car payments/etc in Baby Step 2.

I still drive a *reliable beater because I like spending money on better things.
    I don’t drive a beater and also spend money on better things.

Have you people learned nothing from me. It’s AND, not OR. A nice car AND better things. Not a nice car OR better things. This is the very essence of abundance.
    You've got a significant amount of years on me Damone. I'll get to abundance at some point. For now, the money goes into making more money. Getting over the hump of buying a home in SoCal and now looking at private instead of public school for both kids has me putting my money into appreciating assets or at least stable ones instead of vehicles which are some of the fastest depreciating assets a family usually has.
    You should move. Ever think of that? Head to a lower cost area with great public schools. Again, abundance.
    And miss out on leveraging historically low interest rates to make stupid money in a real estate market also tied to historic inflation?
    Yeah....she’s not doing that.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Disagree

I still drive my car from high school because the son of a bitch won’t die. Or even break down and need minor repairs. Anything to give me a reason to buy a new car
    That 1986 Honda Civic Sport hatchback was an awesome vehicle.
    Mines a 2003 expedition. 200k miles on it and it runs perfect. I hate it
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

dnc said:

Disagree
    Just did this a year or so ago at Toyota. Haven't had car payments in some time, so I forget to do it occassionally, but 0% is a no brainer.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ntxduck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Disagree

I drove a Toyota Sequoia I bought new. I swear to God, we barely ever even changed in the oil in that thing and did zero other maintenance. I drove that thing until it had over 350k, and then I started smelling something that made my eyes burn and parked her that day and sold it to a guy for like $1,200.

Best car I ever had. I now have the Highlander, which is dependable if not boring af. My BMW days are over. I hate pouring money into German sports cars, even though I love driving them.