Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is Hyperinflation Around The Corner?! (And is Gold the Answer?)

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The gov't has "kept" the inflation number under control for years by not counting areas such as food/rent/medical (where the most obvious and highest % are), and using data like tv's, computers, etc things where there is little/even deflationary.

Should we have hyperinflation? Probably, but I don't think it will get that bad.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Gold is for @Swaye baller watches. Shitty investment. Buy Rolex instead.

This. My watch portfolio is kicking the shit out my stock portfolio (which is really just a 500 dollar investment in Mountain Dew).
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    They been saying if for fucking year
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

But the guy on the talk radio said I should buy?
    edited July 2020

FireCohen said:

I know hard choice, between listening to an idiot on a radio show or an Internet forum, both are likely to be equally stupid
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656
    edited July 2020

FireCohen said:

Gold hit $1900/oz yesterday.

Will likely break all-time high next week.

Strap on and lock in cheap money now - HELOC, Refi, new cars, whatever. It's not going to be there in 12 months.

FireCohen said:

Gold hit $1900/oz yesterday.

Will likely break all-time high next week.

Strap on and lock in cheap money now - HELOC, Refi, new cars, whatever. It's not going to be there in 12 months.
    World will end, might else well not even live
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Not hyperinflation, but you will see commodity prices creep up, especially when the current chaos subsides. My expectation is that gold will get to $3,000/oz by end of next year, and then be a shitty investment from there until the next crisis when they start printing money again.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not hyperinflation, but you will see commodity prices creep up, especially when the current chaos subsides. My expectation is that gold will get to $3,000/oz by end of next year, and then be a shitty investment from there until the next crisis when they start printing money again.

I don't think commodities so much as equities will see inflation. The fed is now in the game of fixing the stock market so expect risk taking, leverage, and speculation to go up up up.

I don't think commodities so much as equities will see inflation. The fed is now in the game of fixing the stock market so expect risk taking, leverage, and speculation to go up up up.
    The HY market is almost back to the pre-COVID levels. 2Q earnings season should provide some interest data and will be interesting how the market interprets that data. I suspect people to panic a little big
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

The HY market is almost back to the pre-COVID levels. 2Q earnings season should provide some interest data and will be interesting how the market interprets that data. I suspect people to panic a little big
    That's what happens when you make the money printer go Brrrrrr and go to the extremes of propping up corporate debt despite real economic activity being down.

People are going to be panicked sure, but where's all that fresh printed money going to go?

This is the first instance of an *actual world recession(where everyone is basically in recession at the same tim) with liquid international capital markets. Real economic activity is going to be down and there's going to be deflationary pressure on the CPI while you have every government on earth printing cash and a yuge demand for liquidity and "safe" assets. I agree with @PurpleThrobber that gold will probably go up but I don't see the same case for other commodities. Oil and other inputs are going to be downwardly pressured with all of the decrease in demand and back inventory from the shutdown. It's also hard to settle international exchanges in wheat. No one will want to hold cash long term because of the worries of inflation so where does that leave? US equity markets and non-rental property investment are where a lion's share of QE previously went so someone tell me why that won't be the case in this scenario.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    If you're just @HeretoBeatmyChest's chest you won't last long.