Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Buying a New Car (IN THIS ECONOMY???)

Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Dear BBBC,

Bit of background:

Went out to my car at lunchtime to run some errands, and my driver side window was gone. No warning. Just GONE!

Great.

My ride (2003 Honda) is also reaching 200k miles, so it’s getting to the point where it’s going to probably need some major work done. So I’m thinking it might be tim to start looking for a replacement.

It’s been so long since I’ve gone car shopping. Any advice?

XOXO,
DDJ

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Too vague. What do you want in a car? How far do you typically drive in a day? How many people/skis/four-legged creatures/shrubberies do you transport on the regular? Are you the kind of person who loves to drive or are you the kind of person that is more concerned with cupholders/infotainment/etc.? Do you have easy access to charging infrastructure at home, e.g. a garage or carport? I guess I could just ask @Swaye what he's observed during his stalking, but I figure I'll be polite and ask you directly.

I've had to replace two vehicles in the last three years, and in both cases I simply created a spreadsheet to determine what would be the most economical purchase, as what car I drive is way lower on my priority list than a lot of other things I'd rather have. I only have one rule and that is that I'll never own another thing with a Honda emblem on it, but that's personal.

Anyway, there's a vehicle for just about everything, so what are you looking for and how much are you looking to spend?
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter
    Baseman said:

Dear BBBC,

Bit of background:

Went out to my car at lunchtime to run some errands, and my driver side window was gone. No warning. Just GONE!

Great.

My ride (2003 Honda) is also reaching 200k miles, so it’s getting to the point where it’s going to probably need some major work done. So I’m thinking it might be tim to start looking for a replacement.

It’s been so long since I’ve gone car shopping. Any advice?

XOXO,
    DDJ

Heh. FUCK YOU! Those are reserved for game day.
    Standard Supporter

Too vague. What do you want in a car? How far do you typically drive in a day? How many people/skis/four-legged creatures/shrubberies do you transport on the regular? Are you the kind of person who loves to drive or are you the kind of person that is more concerned with cupholders/infotainment/etc.? Do you have easy access to charging infrastructure at home, e.g. a garage or carport? I guess I could just ask @Swaye what he's observed during his stalking, but I figure I'll be polite and ask you directly.

I've had to replace two vehicles in the last three years, and in both cases I simply created a spreadsheet to determine what would be the most economical purchase, as what car I drive is way lower on my priority list than a lot of other things I'd rather have. I only have one rule and that is that I'll never own another thing with a Honda emblem on it, but that's personal.

Anyway, there's a vehicle for just about everything, so what are you looking for and how much are you looking to spend?

To clarify, I was looking mor for advice on the car buying experience. Online? Dealer? Test drives? I’m sure a lot has changed in the 15 years since I last purchased.

But since you asked, I’m not sure about what I want in a car. So I’m a clean automotive slate so to speak. Only requirements I have so far are 1) it can make over mountain passes in the dead of winter 2) decent gas mileage 3) has Bluetooth connection capabilities.

Obviously I’ve done zero research so far. 😅
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Obvious choice is obvious for seduction....

Little red corvette.

The Vette makes em wet. Grandpa Yella had a new one every year from 1953- 80.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2020

Little red corvette.

Did he have a pocket full of horses? Trojans some of them used?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

Little red corvette.

No. He was a Chevy Dealer.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    Founders Club
    Used to be a Subaru guy, but I’ve become a big Toyota fan. The Toyota 3.5L V-6 is rock solid and been around forever. Well built and super reliable cars. I’ve got an Avalon because I’m a stereotype, and a Sienna because we have kids.

If it’s about the mountain passes and gas mileage I’d recommend trying out the rav-4, or Highlander.

As far as pricing/negotiation. The internet seems to have normalized pricing of new/newer vehicles. So the negotiation game is less exciting.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Used to be a Subaru guy, but I’ve become a big Toyota fan. The Toyota 3.5L V-6 is rock solid and been around forever. Well built and super reliable cars. I’ve got an Avalon because I’m a stereotype, and a Sienna because we have kids.

If it’s about the mountain passes and gas mileage I’d recommend trying out the rav-4, or Highlander.

As far as pricing/negotiation. The internet seems to have normalized pricing of new/newer vehicles. So the negotiation game is less exciting.

Just leased a new Highlander for the wife. Recommend
    Standard Supporter

Yeah, Rav-4s and compact SUVs seem like they could be up my alley.

Good point about the internet and price negotiation. I would imagine it would make it easier to get multiple quotes though from other dealers.

Should be fun to test drive with the COVID restrictions.
    Standard Supporter
    Baseman said:

Just leased a new Highlander for the wife. Recommend
    I saw that. We appreciate the extra room in the back. ;)
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club

Little red corvette.

No. He was a Chevy Dealer.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

All I read was "I'm a nerd...spreadsheet...nerd."
    Standard Supporter
    edited July 2020
    Swaye said:

Just go buy any new Toyota you can afford and have years of trouble free driving. Or, if you want to be a baller, go buy a new Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. This has the added benefit of telling cuck dudes you mean business and you could probably take his woman and kick his ass afterwards. Win win imho. I'll help you get a good deal if you give me a pair of your socks. Unwashed.

😄

You know, I’ve always liked Rubicons. But a big part of that is because I’m a history noyd.

I really want to test drive one now.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656

Yeah, Rav-4s and compact SUVs seem like they could be up my alley.

Good point about the internet and price negotiation. I would imagine it would make it easier to get multiple quotes though from other dealers.

Should be fun to test drive with the COVID restrictions.
    As you are already aware, Mrs Throbber v2.0 drives a Highlander. Damn good ride. The RAV4 was a good test drive but a little tinny. Ample room in the back for cargo or what not.

You decide the form of what not fits your needs......