Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My Oh My how journalism has changed in Seattle

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,379 Founders Club
In 1881, Seattle’s population was 3,553. On October 16, 1881, Seattle Police Officer David Sires was shot and killed in the line of duty. He was the first Seattle Police Officer killed in the line of duty.

From a Seattle newspaper:

“David Sires died Saturday. After being shot he was insensible for a time but revived and was able to make a statement in regard to the shooting and identify his murderer as Benjamin Payne. Payne is described as a worthless loafer and desperado. Mr. Sires has led a checkered life and was known all over the northern coast as a happy, open hearted type that attached to him many friends. His murder has roused a feeling of deep indignation in Seattle, where he was a popular man and officer, and unless his slayer meets his justice at the hands of the law, the people may take the law into their own hands.”

(I just made a modest donation to the Seattle Police Officers Guild. https://seattlepoliceofficers.org)

Comments