Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Blue Chip Ratio

2»

Comments

• Options
    DougDoug Member Posts: 40
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Doug said:

dnc said:

Doug said:

The BCR isn’t a great way to measure current roster talent, as it includes kids who aren’t with the program any more. Once you factor those out, we drop down around 45%. It also counts a .8900 barely four star the same as a .9999 5-star stud, which is stupid. What would you rather have: 3 .99s and a .88 or 4 .89s? According to BCR, the latter. Asinine. The team talent composite from 247 is a much better indicator of roster strength relative to recruiting rankings.

At a 50,000 foot view, BCR is fine for for sorting teams into a binary yes/no bucket (can they win a CFP title) But of course it is, because half the teams above 50% really have zero chance of winning the title (including UW sadly). But Bud Elliot continues to pimp out BCR as some great amazing thing when it’s really just complete shit. Team talent composite is way better, but even that ignores player busts and overachievers

Butt all teams have that type of attrition. I don't think UW has had above average attrition by any means.

Also, the whole point is that you are starting with plenty of talent to rise to the top. If three star talent beats out the four stars and the four stars leave that's a totally different thing than if you are starting three stars because three stars are all you have.

It's a quick and dirty metric but it's pretty damn good.
    Yeah this.

But yeah average composite of recruiting classes would be better than BCR

A straight 4 year Average would be better than BCR, but would still ignore transfers ins/out. So the
    Team talent composite is even better. 2020 isn’t out yet but previous years are:
    https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/
    247 recently started re-rating guys that go in the portal, so if they apply those to the teamtalent composite then yes it would be better. But it looks like they're still using transfer's high school rating to apply to the teamtalent. Which is going to massively overrate/underrate the impact of transfers depending on the situation.
    That’s a fair and valid criticism. that would be a good change. But status quo is still better than including them in the BCR of their old school. Jacob Eason was helping Georgia blue chip ratio in Both 2018 and 2019 - while he was at UW
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Doug said:

For fuck’s sake it’s not that hard to understand.

It just means your talent IN THE AGGREGATE is good enough that you have the tools to compete for a title. All the rest (coaching, player dev, etc) has to go right in addition, but in our case the baseline talent is now there.

I don’t consider 39 blue chip players out of 85 scholarships to be in the range personally. Not when 2/3s of those 39 are at the .89 to .92 end of the scale and all the favorites are sitting with at least 53/85 with a statistically significant higher percentage of them being .95 and above

All things the BCR ignores.
    Where do you get 39?

I have it at 43. Maybe my math is wrong.

https://247sports.com/Team/Washington-160/Roster/

Adams
    Baini
    Bandes
    Beulow
    Draco
    Bynum
    Calvert
    Covington

Davis
    Fabic
    Fautanu
    Gilchrist
    Gordon
    Garbers
    Hatchett
    Heimuli
    Irvin
    Jones
    Kalepo
    Latu
    Tuli
    McDduffie
    McGrew
    McKinney
    McMillian
    Molden
    Morris
    Murao
    Nacua
    Odunze
    Levi O
    Osbourne
    Paama
    Redman
    Rosengaarten
    Sirmon
    Smalls
    Spiker
    Taimani
    Taylor
    Tui
    Turner
    Wattenberg

I'm not sure we're actually at 85 either but that doesn't make a big difference.

Where do you get 39?
  • Options
    DougDoug Member Posts: 40
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    dnc said:

Doug said:

It just means your talent IN THE AGGREGATE is good enough that you have the tools to compete for a title. All the rest (coaching, player dev, etc) has to go right in addition, but in our case the baseline talent is now there.

I don’t consider 39 blue chip players out of 85 scholarships to be in the range personally. Not when 2/3s of those 39 are at the .89 to .92 end of the scale and all the favorites are sitting with at least 53/85 with a statistically significant higher percentage of them being .95 and above

Where do you get 39?

Adams
    Baini
    Bandes
    Beulow
    Draco
    Bynum
    Calvert
    Covington

Davis
    Fabic
    Fautanu
    Gilchrist
    Gordon
    Garbers
    Hatchett
    Heimuli
    Irvin
    Jones
    Kalepo
    Latu
    Tuli
    McDduffie
    McGrew
    McKinney
    McMillian
    Molden
    Morris
    Murao
    Nacua
    Odunze
    Levi O
    Osbourne
    Paama
    Redman
    Rosengaarten
    Sirmon
    Smalls
    Spiker
    Taimani
    Taylor
    Tui
    Turner
    Wattenberg

I'm not sure we're actually at 85 either but that doesn't make a big difference.

Where do you get 39?
    By year:
    2017: 7
    2018: 8
    2019: 15
    2020: 10

I had left Adams off my original count (I did it a few weeks ago) because I assumed at the time he wasn’t going to enroll. So 40 then

This is based off composite because that’s what Bud uses too
  • Options
    Doug said:

dnc said:

Doug said:

Where do you get 39?

Adams
    Baini
    Bandes
    Beulow
    Draco
    Bynum
    Calvert
    Covington

Davis
    Fabic
    Fautanu
    Gilchrist
    Gordon
    Garbers
    Hatchett
    Heimuli
    Irvin
    Jones
    Kalepo
    Latu
    Tuli
    McDduffie
    McGrew
    McKinney
    McMillian
    Molden
    Morris
    Murao
    Nacua
    Odunze
    Levi O
    Osbourne
    Paama
    Redman
    Rosengaarten
    Sirmon
    Smalls
    Spiker
    Taimani
    Taylor
    Tui
    Turner
    Wattenberg

Where do you get 39?
    By year:

I had left Adams off my original count (I did it a few weeks ago) because I assumed at the time he wasn’t going to enroll. So 40 then

So no McGrew, Wattenberg, Gilchrist or Onzurieke.

Got it.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,292
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Doug said:

dnc said:

Doug said:

Where do you get 39?

Adams
    Baini
    Bandes
    Beulow
    Draco
    Bynum
    Calvert
    Covington

Davis
    Fabic
    Fautanu
    Gilchrist
    Gordon
    Garbers
    Hatchett
    Heimuli
    Irvin
    Jones
    Kalepo
    Latu
    Tuli
    McDduffie
    McGrew
    McKinney
    McMillian
    Molden
    Morris
    Murao
    Nacua
    Odunze
    Levi O
    Osbourne
    Paama
    Redman
    Rosengaarten
    Sirmon
    Smalls
    Spiker
    Taimani
    Taylor
    Tui
    Turner
    Wattenberg

Where do you get 39?
    By year:

So no McGrew, Wattenberg, Gilchrist or Onzurieke.

Got it.
    Where do players from the c/o 2014 fit in to this? Asking for a fren
  • Options

Doug said:

I mean yeah man, its not perfect. BCR is just an easy way to explain to casual fans which teams have the necessary talent to compete for a natty. Most fans don't know the nuances of a high 3 star/low 4 star, or high 4 star vs low 4 star.
    This is why the world needs noted talent evaluator @ballz

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    are we still counting stars
  • Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I though the Dawgs used the Blue Collar, Lunch Pail, kinda guy you would want your daughter to date, recruiting philosophy.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    DawgFader said:

I though the Dawgs used the Blue Collar, Lunch Pail, kinda guy you would want your daughter to date, recruiting philosophy.

Yeah under Jim Owens