Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Caleb Berry, 2021 3* RB, Lufkin (Lufkin), TX (Committed)

Comments

• DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

11.34 is not very good.

Yeah? What's your 100 time?
    Right now? Probably in the 13s or 14s lol in HS, faster than Berry.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited July 2020

11.34 is not very good.

Doog whisper is a college football recruit?
    Lighten up gee whiz.
  • rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942

Not thrilled at all. That said, there are tons of good RB’s. Small and shitty schools have good RB’s all the time.

Not much production from this guy tho. Only 800+ yards last season. He seems like he might be serviceable, but like Sonics said, not much upside.

Yeah, this guy did not do much. Compare his film to other recent 3 star RBs, Newton and Sunday. Both have way better film than this guy. Berry does have a better top gear though. I guess. I don't know anymore...
    This guy definitely has more juice than either of those 2.
    Go to bed.
    dnc said:

chuck said:

dnc said:
    Jeebus fetters. That's embarrassing.

It makes me think, though. You could take 4-5 good looking dudes, roll them all into one mass, and have it come out looking like Fetters. So maybe it's not so ridiculous looking from that point of view.
    I’ve always thought Fetters was a mix of Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Tom Hardy, and Ralphie May.
    INSTANT REAX, re: Chris Fetters to DM... another one in the stable for KG as the Doogs continue to move into Whitman. BIG back, shades of Pitt, Gosling, Hardy, Eklund and Ralphie May all rolled into one powerful back. Aggressive downhill condescender w/A LARGE CHOCOLATE shake.

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

11.34 is not very good.

Doog whisper is a college football recruit?
    Lighten up gee whiz.
    Sorry Ned, I’m super fucking hung over.
    Founders Club

11.34 is not very good.

He's not a division 1 athlete so I don't give a fuck what his time is. Are you related to BrentFS by chance?
    I care.

I'm not related to anyone.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

11.34 is not very good.

If he's got "violence in his wiggle" then he's alright with me.
    Founders Club

https://youtu.be/DR7HcqsBOdg

People forget that Big Ern knows a little about the game. Being under center was his specialty.

@rustysavage just gets it.

https://youtu.be/p5PRgks7sb8
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Analysis from Gabe Brooks, who the Huffman and Angulo of Texas.

Evaluation notes: Berry is a good, solid back with the requisite size and a tough-minded approach to the position. He's shown big-play ability in his penchant for breaking tackles at the first level and using above average top-end play speed in the open field.

Berry played his junior season in the 6-foot, 190- to 195-pound neighborhood, but has emphasized the weight room this offseason in an effort to run harder and stronger more consistently. He now weighs in the 210-pound range to give him college-ready size at the position.

Berry already ran pretty hard as is, but that added mass should help him in the box and when finishing runs at the second level. One of the more encouraging elements of his game is his foot quickness in the hole, where he shows the ability to make the first defender miss to extend runs.

There's a violence to Berry's gait that produces some wasted motion and body control inconsistency, but coincidentally, he runs with good enough balance to regularly break tackles and maintain his footing. His production was solid in 2019, but we hope to see more yardage and a higher per carry average this fall.

Berry's most recent 100-meter time of 11.34 seconds is adequate, but he can improve his top-end speed. He has relatively limited experience as a pass-catcher, so that will be one area to continue his work as he transitions to the next level.

Overall, Berry is a good pickup for Washington. He's a hard-nosed runner with some open-field juice who probably plays a bit faster than his track numbers suggest. He comes from a traditionally talent-laden East Texas program that has produced numerous FBS players, including NFL talent such as Keke Coutee, Dez Bryant, Jorvorskie Lane, and Don Muhlbach, among others. He will arrive at Washington having faced strong competition relative to the high school level in practices and games.

This is a pretty solid analysis

I think he falls in the category of Newton and Sunday ... but I liked both of their Junior films better than Berry.

I don't know if I agree with the comment that he shows the ability to make guys miss ... I saw him go down often on first contact (often with forward lean) and most of his runs being much more straight line.

He strikes me as your typical Texas HS RB that is productive in college but will never be confused as an elite difference maker. These are the kind of guys that if you have to give them 15-20 carries a game from time to time they can do well for you. But they aren't the guys that are going to be the game breakers. For as much shit as Ahmed was given at times for his lack of solid RB skills, he had the ability to make a big play (i.e. TD run vs SC) ... don't see that from Berry
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Berry rushed for 210 yards and 3 TDs in his team's opener. His team got their asses kicked so it must have been against decent competition
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Berry rushed for 210 yards and 3 TDs in his team's opener. His team got their asses kicked so it must have been against decent competition

Lol
  • TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 461
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    He looked like a man in that game. I like him.
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    “We want everyone to stay healthy and make sure we all take care of ourselves and each other. As far as our season, we want to make it to state. That's the goal. Once you get there, anything can happen and we want the chance to win a title. For me, I just want to stay healthy all season and get 2,000 yards and 25 touchdowns or more and make the All-District team."