Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sherman gets paid

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
$57.4 million for four years, including $40M guaranteed.

Wow.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Seahawks had to do it, but I'm a little iffy on this one. At some point, these big money extensions are going to really hurt the depth and overall talent of the team. Russell gets his next year. This year's draft is going to be huge because they are going to need some cheap guys who become legitimate NFL starters.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

The Seahawks had to do it, but I'm a little iffy on this one. At some point, these big money extensions are going to really hurt the depth and overall talent of the team. Russell gets his next year. This year's draft is going to be huge because they are going to need some cheap guys who become legitimate NFL starters.

I thought they'd get him for around $12 million per. I'm definitely iffy about $14+.

Agree that this draft is big. Really going to need to see some production out of last year's draft too.

OTOH, it's great following a Seattle team that can keep the guys it wants to.

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If they would have been able to trade him for multiple firsts I would've done that. Otherwise it was something that had to be done. Cannot let a guy like that walk in his prime. We saw that with hutch
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    The sustainability of this team is going to really be on the draft as it has always been. With the recent track record no reason to be worried. I know some people will mention last years draft class but in reality Seahawks didn't need any of those players so i see it more as a redshirt year.

They had to keep this secondary, it could possibly go down as the best ever if they can keep the success they have had the past 2 years for a couple more. Legion of Boom (Sherm, Kam, ET (ILTCTT)) could be talked about along the lines of the Steel Curtain and others.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

If they would have been able to trade him for multiple firsts I would've done that. Otherwise it was something that had to be done. Cannot let a guy like that walk in his prime. We saw that with hutch

I might even take a Harvin trade (1 and 3) for Sherman. When Maxwell stepped in and played as well as he did, it made me believe that the scheme has a lot to do with CB's success in Seattle. All the CB's are asked to do is jam the WR at the line and play a deep 3rd. They have Earl Thomas helping over the top and fast enough to pay sideline to sideline. They have quick LB's playing in the flats, and helping on comeback routes. Sherman is an elite player, especially at making plays on the ball, but this scheme is a good one for CB's.

You are right that it had to be done, and coming off a championship, there was no way they let Sherman go. Luckily, the cap will rise freeing up money for teams, but the money most likely won't be there to sign some important guys after Russell re-signs. Where is the money coming from to re-sign Maxwell, Wagner, Wright, Avril, M. Smith, Okung, Baldwin? I doubt more than 1 or 2 of those guys will. Any improvements to the roster the next 2-3 years will have to come from the draft. Carroll and Schneider need to hit some home runs.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dhdawg said:

I might even take a Harvin trade (1 and 3) for Sherman. When Maxwell stepped in and played as well as he did, it made me believe that the scheme has a lot to do with CB's success in Seattle. All the CB's are asked to do is jam the WR at the line and play a deep 3rd. They have Earl Thomas helping over the top and fast enough to pay sideline to sideline. They have quick LB's playing in the flats, and helping on comeback routes. Sherman is an elite player, especially at making plays on the ball, but this scheme is a good one for CB's.

You are right that it had to be done, and coming off a championship, there was no way they let Sherman go. Luckily, the cap will rise freeing up money for teams, but the money most likely won't be there to sign some important guys after Russell re-signs. Where is the money coming from to re-sign Maxwell, Wagner, Wright, Avril, M. Smith, Okung, Baldwin? I doubt more than 1 or 2 of those guys will. Any improvements to the roster the next 2-3 years will have to come from the draft. Carroll and Schneider need to hit some home runs.
    I don't think they would have payed Sherman if they felt like they could replace him with another decent corner who could fit into the scheme. The departure would have been ugly, but PC and JS know what it takes to win. If they paid Sherman the 14 million a year then he is probably worth it.

Championship teams will always lose players, this is pretty natural. I mean the Ravens pretty much dumped their entire team. They will lose some good players like Wright, Wagner, Maxwell, Smith, Baldwin etc. Can't keep them all.

I like the Seahawks chances of being elite though for 3-4 more years, it will depend heavily on the draft but as I noted earlier the track record speaks for itself.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Jay Glazer is being pretty adamant about the contract including Sherman's last year where he's not getting paid much at all. So it's really more like a 5 year, $57 million deal? Either way, you definitely need to keep him unless you can rob some team of draft picks.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2014

dhdawg said:

I don't think they would have payed Sherman if they felt like they could replace him with another decent corner who could fit into the scheme. The departure would have been ugly, but PC and JS know what it takes to win. If they paid Sherman the 14 million a year then he is probably worth it.

Championship teams will always lose players, this is pretty natural. I mean the Ravens pretty much dumped their entire team. They will lose some good players like Wright, Wagner, Maxwell, Smith, Baldwin etc. Can't keep them all.

I like the Seahawks chances of being elite though for 3-4 more years, it will depend heavily on the draft but as I noted earlier the track record speaks for itself.
    Of course teams lose players. No matter what, every team gains and loses players every offseason. The question is whether this deal will be worth it or if the Seahawks would have been better off trading Sherman, getting a couple draft picks and using the 14 per year to sign 3 guys instead of one guy.

I think they made the choice they needed to make re-signing Sherman, but this is a risky deal that most likely will hurt the team at other spots. Part of what makes this team great is the overall talent. I think it was easily the most talented team in the league last year. If they don't keep drafting the way they have, the talent will drop and the pressure will ramp up on the big money stars.

I agree with you about the Seahawks still being elite for awhile. They have the most important parts, which are the QB and the coach.
  • Options
    the sherman trade is something that would look good way down the road, but losing him will make it way tougher to win NOW. After all the NFL is a win now league.
    If they had gotten 2 1st's sure
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    How much longer will the current group be intact? 1 more year or 2 more? Who will they lose after next season?

Looks like Avril, Baldwin, Wright, Smith, Maxwell are free agents next year. Can they afford to keep any of them?
  • Options
    A lot will change before next offseason. We'll worry about it then. For now they need focus on repeating cause that needs to be the main focus, what is the best team you can put out for 2014. That's why I need more than a 1st and a 3rd to trade an all pro corner in his prime with a team who's window is still wide open
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    Founders Club

I think that's way too much. No one needs that much money. That's probably 200 times the pay of the average ticket holder. I do think at a certain point you've earned enough money.

In fact, he should donate his entire 2014 salary to charity
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Nick Montana shouldn't be allowed to be on scholarship. His dad has more money than he will ever need, it's not fair to the rest of society.
  • Options
    Out of that list I'd prioritize it like this
    Baldwin
    Wagner
    Wright
    Avril
    Maxwell
    Smith
    Okung will depend solely on price tag IMO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

Nick Montana shouldn't be allowed to be on scholarship. His dad has more money than he will ever need, it's not fair to the rest of society.

Given his noodle arm and lack of pocket awareness I actually agree with this.