Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ESPN writer's take on John Donovan from covering him at Penn State

Not sure if this was posted before but I liked this podcast on John Donovan. It doesn't try to speculate on what scheme he will run or anything forward looking. It just talks about who John Donovan is, his coaching history, and what went wrong at Penn State. By no means does it make me comfortable with the hire but it gives some color around what the circumstances were at Penn State when he was there and how those contributed to how bad the offense was:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/anchor-podcasts/fourth-and-inches-a-husky-podcast/e/66500360

Comments

• backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Donovan had Barkley, Chris Godwin, Daeshon Hamilton, and Mike Gesicki. There was no excuse to be 101st in points. He was really bad. There is a reason he was Asst RB coach in Jacksonville.

Hackenberg did suck, but he was worse with Donovan than he was before.

I will say the OL talent he had was god fucking awful
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Donovan had Barkley, Chris Godwin, Daeshon Hamilton, and Mike Gesicki. There was no excuse to be 101st in points. He was really bad. There is a reason he was Asst RB coach in Jacksonville.

I believe it, but they were good enough to make the Rose Bowl the next year. He was a huge part of the problem. The only doog hope is that Hackenberg was truly that big of cancer.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I'm hearing he's a big fan of racial slurs

Just what I'm hearing
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Because it doesn't matter if you're a world class sniper if you don't have the bullets

Not the best choice of words for this board. Were you around in 2005?
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I believe it, but they were good enough to make the Rose Bowl the next year. He was a huge part of the problem. The only doog hope is that Hackenberg was truly that big of cancer.
    We are fucked duh as always but I want to prolong the inevitable as much as possible, so I don’t go crazy before the season
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I am very happy that UW hired Donovan.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Was hoping for a charge of racism for my Donovan haters
  • DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 701
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Another thing I've noticed along with Coker. A lot of players are hitting the weight room a bit harder than they have in
    years past
    . Hmmmm could it be that players be signaling that they understand Jimmy's loyalty are different than Petersen's
    loyalty and CP liking you = playing time is an bygone era now?

The kids are working harder than ever?
    Ok Ok I'll buy Grammarly.

Race I'm pretty sure it was Donovan that left that noose for Bubba Wallace.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

thechatch said:

I am very happy that UW hired Donovan.

I don't mind people saying JD sucks until he doesn't because he does have something to prove. I think that's how
    Jimmy closed him. Jimmy probably told Donovan "I'm a Defensive guy I don't call plays. The show would be yours"

Donovan, after being scapegoated, wants to be back in the saddle as long as he's in that saddle alone. He was good
    at Vandy and let's be real our team today has much more talent than his best Vandy team.

Another thing I've noticed along with Coker. A lot of players are hitting the weight room a bit harder than they have in
    years past. Hmmmm could it be that players be signaling that they understand Jimmy's loyalty are different than Petersen's
    loyalty and CP liking you = playing time is an bygone era now?

If Jimmy has to keep Boner and BogGreg on staff we're damn sure he's playing the best kid.

If John Donovan can't win this crew ...he should hang it up.

Any news on chocolate milk, 18 MPH treadmills, or boxing lessons?
    They are bringing in a live Wolverine before the big game against Michigan. Michigan won’t scare us!!!