Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Analysis of Donovan offense

UW Doog Pound has an in depth analysis of Donovan's background. It's a 3 part series and the second part was posted over the weekend.

Part 1 - https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2020/4/14/21198588/coach-bs-breakdown-the-donovan-offense-background-amp-foundation?_ga=2.88470235.1712342406.1591963363-445826473.1472780596
Part 2 - https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2020/6/13/21221685/coach-bs-breakdown-the-donovan-offense-franklin-amp-first-oc

I was surprised when Emeka described the new offense as more "Air Raid" in his interview with Huff but the writer says he sees a bit of air raid concepts in the passing trees.

Donovan began updating his passing attack after 2012 with borrowed concepts from the Air Raid, some of the earlier RPO concepts, and a few early attempts to integrate empty formations into his vertical passing game. Both Donovan & Lake have mentioned a Pro-Style approach to offense, but I think that will include a fairly significant Air Raid flair that has been incorporated into most short-intermediate passing attacks.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was shit hire at the time and still do, especially with how it's completely cratered our recruiting on offense. However I am a little intrigued to see how it will look on the field. It can't be any worse than the CP offense.....right?

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I don't get the line that McGrew is a great outside runner and that he's so shifty. When I've seen him at his best he is running tough between the tackles. He doesn't mess around with stuttering or multiple moves. He makes a cut and goes. Just because the dude is small doesn't mean he doesn't have a good feel or vision for running amongst the bigs. Sometimes those little guys are harder to find in a scrum. I don't know, Ive always liked him as an inside runner.

#mEtoO
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

the hire sucks until it doesnt.

Was that ever in question?
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    chuck said:

the hire sucks until it doesnt.

Was that ever in question?
    i feel like it should be the new bored motto.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,042
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    It can, and probably will, be a lot worse than the CP offense. How soon we've forgotten the depths that this program is capable of.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Baseman said:

It comes down to numbers. If the defense has superior numbers in the box, you audible into vertical passing routes hoping to get a one on one matchup with your number one WR, followed by a check down to an intermediate route. If the defense shows equal numbers in the box, you run. Straight ahead power and stretch plays It works well if executed.

Penn State's offense sucked with Saquan Barkley which tells me Donovan sucks. At least he's a dynamic recruiter.

I will say that OL talent he had to work with was pretty atrocious
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 703
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Baseman said:

It comes down to numbers. If the defense has superior numbers in the box, you audible into vertical passing routes hoping to get a one on one matchup with your number one WR, followed by a check down to an intermediate route. If the defense shows equal numbers in the box, you run. Straight ahead power and stretch plays It works well if executed.

Penn State's offense sucked with Saquan Barkley which tells me Donovan sucks. At least he's a dynamic recruiter.

I will say that OL talent he had to work with was pretty atrocious
    And Hackenberg couldn’t make the consistent throws. Oh and Barkley was a Freshman.
    Hackenberg said in an article “I don’t know who calling the plays”

Let’s be real. Franklin felt the heat ..jumped in Donovan’s turf and when the shit blew up he had JD
    Fall on the sword. Moorhead comes in ...gets a more mobile and accurate Trace McSorley, the emergence of Gesicki and a stable OL and Penn St revives its offense. Moorhead parlays into a HC position at Hail State where he craps himself along with the Hail State offense. Sure the role and responsibilities of a HC are different than an OC but when Pete Carrol went to USC as a defensive minded coach ...did their defense improve? When he went to the Seahawks did their Defense improve?

While we’re at it let’s talk about CP’s offense. Trash. Couldn’t beat elite with it. QBs looked inept. Take that playbook and burn it. It was made to improve less talented kids. We’ve recruited well enough ..rely on your players beating the opposition.

• Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I don't have access but I can assume Fatters ripped off a lot of the content from the Doogpound post
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I don't have access but I can assume Fatters ripped off a lot of the content from the Doogpound post

@ChrisFettersBeard true??
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Wait. You’re not Chris?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I’m hearing Donovan wants to implement a bunch of 4 verts concepts. @FireCohen
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Think on the bright side. If all goes well you might average 12 a game!