Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sonics Advanced Metrics Ratings in 1990s

SRS which I often mention for college football also uses the same rating system for all sports. I was curious what the Sonics were ranked during some of their best seasons in the 1990s. Interestingly, they were #1 for three straight seasons and then #2 when they lost to the Bulls. The Sonics were obviously a great regular season team but these metrics argue that their playoff performance was worse than it appears on the surface, which is already poor.

1992-1993- 1
1993-1994- 1
1994-1995- 1
1995-1996- 2
1996-1997- 3
1997-1998- 3

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    There's no question that the Sonics of that era on one hand underachieved, but on the other hand also goes to show that there are things that you have to consider outside of the stats.

The '92-'93 team was busy trying to figure out how good they could be. They made a great end of the year trade to get Sam Perkins. You had the young guys in Payton and Kemp making the team their own while some old guys still holding onto their veteran dog status. I wouldn't say that it was the best Sonic team, but probably the deepest and most fun to watch.

The '93-'94 team SHOULD have won a title on paper. They were easily the best team in the league. But they also had a massively combustible locker room that blew up during the Denver series.

The '94-'95 team was still trying to find itself again. They had a great team but the chemistry wasn't right. Kendall Gill was just a terrible fit on that team and they ran against a team in the playoffs that they didn't seem to matchup well with and an all-time irrational confidence guy in Nick Van Exel.

The '95-'96 team was easily the best team that they had during that era that finally looked like a team in swapping Kendall Gill for Hersey Hawkins. This was a team that probably would have won the NBA title most years but had the misfortune of putting it all together the same year that Jordan and Co. authored the greatest year of all time. This was also the last year where the Sonics were a team that had great depth.

The '96-'97 team was still good but was absolutely destroyed in the depth department. If you go back and look at the box scores during the playoffs that year, the only guys that would get off the bench were Cummings/Perkins depending on who started and David Wingate.

The '97-'98 team was still good as you didn't lose too much dropping Kemp for Baker in the regular season ... you noticed it during the playoffs. While the depth was much, much better, the reality was that just about everybody of consequence on the roster was either approaching 30 (Payton was 29) or over 30. Once Baker went completely down hill, the run was over.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited May 2014
    1993-1994 #magicalseason.

I worked with a guy who was a "huge sonics fan" (until he wasn't). They day they lost to the nuggets was one of the greatest days ever and was the day I realized I was a huge gaping asshole. I mocked this bandwagon fucker relentlessly until I quit that place a year or so later.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    Tequilla said:

There's no question that the Sonics of that era on one hand underachieved, but on the other hand also goes to show that there are things that you have to consider outside of the stats.

The '92-'93 team was busy trying to figure out how good they could be. They made a great end of the year trade to get Sam Perkins. You had the young guys in Payton and Kemp making the team their own while some old guys still holding onto their veteran dog status. I wouldn't say that it was the best Sonic team, but probably the deepest and most fun to watch.

The '93-'94 team SHOULD have won a title on paper. They were easily the best team in the league. But they also had a massively combustible locker room that blew up during the Denver series.

The '94-'95 team was still trying to find itself again. They had a great team but the chemistry wasn't right. Kendall Gill was just a terrible fit on that team and they ran against a team in the playoffs that they didn't seem to matchup well with and an all-time irrational confidence guy in Nick Van Exel.

The '95-'96 team was easily the best team that they had during that era that finally looked like a team in swapping Kendall Gill for Hersey Hawkins. This was a team that probably would have won the NBA title most years but had the misfortune of putting it all together the same year that Jordan and Co. authored the greatest year of all time. This was also the last year where the Sonics were a team that had great depth.

The '96-'97 team was still good but was absolutely destroyed in the depth department. If you go back and look at the box scores during the playoffs that year, the only guys that would get off the bench were Cummings/Perkins depending on who started and David Wingate.

The '97-'98 team was still good as you didn't lose too much dropping Kemp for Baker in the regular season ... you noticed it during the playoffs. While the depth was much, much better, the reality was that just about everybody of consequence on the roster was either approaching 30 (Payton was 29) or over 30. Once Baker went completely down hill, the run was over.

"George Karl was their coach" also would have been acceptable analysis.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,566 Founders Club
    edited May 2014
    For some reason I remember the Sonics going 0 of 5? on an East Coast road trip in '93-'94. I was sick as hell with the crud that week so I listened to KJR all day. Anyway, using 20/20 hindsight, it was an ominous sign.
  • QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,162

For some reason I remember the Sonics going 0 of 5? on an East Coast road trip in '93-'94. I was sick as hell with the crud that week so I listened to KJR all day. Anyway, using 20/20 hindsight, it was an ominous sign.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

They were 63-19 that regular season. Longest losing streak was 3 games.

However they did have a road trip where they went 1-4. Tough road trip given they defeated the Knick(Eastern Conference champs), lost to Atlanta(best record in the east) and lost to Indiana(ECF finalist).

Tequilla was spot on with his post.
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180

I worked with a guy who was a "huge sonics fan" (until he wasn't). They day they lost to the nuggets was one of the greatest days ever and was the day I realized I was a huge gaping asshole. I mocked this bandwagon fucker relentlessly until I quit that place a year or so later.

Is that when Lowe's recruited you?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    2013-14 Blazers >>>> 1995-96 Sonics
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    The '94-'95 team was still trying to find itself again. They had a great team but the chemistry wasn't right.

You can't expect much when you're playing home games at the Tacoma Dome - helluva commute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR5mMyaH3Kk
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    They were still good in '94-'95, but Kendall Gill was just flat out a complete misfit on that roster. Gill was a young, up and coming star (at least in his mind) in the league that thought that he was every bit the player that GP and Kemp was. Instead, he was brought in to being a 4th option and play perimeter defense. That's management miscasting a player.

Now, the funny thing about all of that is that the Sonics were able to trade away Dana Barros and an aging Eddie Johnson to get Kendall Gill. So on one hand, the trade was probably worth the risk given what you gave up to get him. And the problem for Kendall Gill was that if you're a star in the NBA, you aren't getting traded for Dana Barros and Eddie Johnson.

The only part that I didn't add into my original post was how FS the management of that team was at various times. They always seemed to leave at least one hole on the team that left it at risk.

But in the end, it was a team that had a great 6 year run that just happened to come at the same time period that Chicago won 4 titles with the greatest player to ever play the game and the NBA at arguably one of its best periods in the history of the league.

You would have liked to have seen another Finals appearance out of this group and maybe a title, but the run was pretty damn good.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited May 2014

Is that when Lowe's recruited you?
    I cut my teeth at a Eagle Hardware in the U district near Tukwilla. Moved up from there to HomeBase in Kent on Aurora.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,566 Founders Club

They were 63-19 that regular season. Longest losing streak was 3 games.

However they did have a road trip where they went 1-4. Tough road trip given they defeated the Knick(Eastern Conference champs), lost to Atlanta(best record in the east) and lost to Indiana(ECF finalist).

Tequilla was spot on with his post.
    Yes, it was that one. New York Vinny did this FS bit in which he called all these delis in Manhattan trying to find chicken soup so the Sonics would get better. It was one for the dumbest bits KJR has done to this day.
    edited May 2014
    1994 & 1995 were their opportunities that they blew with Jordan being gone 85% of those two seasons. Houston had some really solid teams with Kenny Smith, Akeem/Hakeem, Whorey (lol) and Maxwell but they were totally beatable. They totally dismantled the Magics in '95. I would have loved to have seen the Sonics kill Shaq.