Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Troy Franklin, 2021 5* WR, Menlo Park (Menlo-Artherton), CA (Offered 6/23)

Comments

• Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2020

haie said:

If the coaches can't patch up Donovan's past with Penn St. they aren't power 5 recruiters. You need some super reputable OC to get it done with offensive players you just have zero creativity at sales.

The man was an absolute train wreck at Penn State, was an assistant running back for the last four year and a terrible recruiter. Hard to patch that up.
    SMH. I know Jimmy was expecting Kellen moore but this hire is unacceptable.

Thought Jimmy would be different when he talked about being competitive and always attacking. Such bullshit.
    You hire coordinators to coach and call plays, not recruit. I won’t judge him until the year is over and I see how the offense performs.
    Oregon seems to be using him as a negative recruiting point just fine. You said yourself he isn't a strong recruiter so he doesn't bring much to the table. He better be lights out as an offensive play-caller

It’s working because of Covid and no visits allowed so these recruits can’t watch practice and see the offense for themselves. Nobody could have predicted that.
    Love your takes sonics but I think thats a little bit of a cop out answer to blame it entirely on covid. Jimmy couldn't see hiring J Donovan could cause issues down the road? Especially with Joe Moorehead to oregon rumors that were going on. Jimmy couldn't have seen bob gregory, derham cato and keith bonnerpopper as weak recruiters? He had first hand experience working with BOTH terrence brown and will harris? Jimmy has been working with the majority of these guys for years.

ADAPT OR DIE! But he made the decision to hire and keep these guys.
    You hire a OC to call plays not recruit so that really didn’t play a factor. Do I think he would hire position coaches if he knew they couldn’t recruit, of course not. I think he hired some inexperienced coaches betting on them to step up and take the next step like Junior and Malloe did and unfortunately it hasn’t played out like that yet. There’s still time, hopefully visits will be allowed in the fall and there will be football so they can over come some of this but no need to panick yet. Start 2-2 with losses to Michigan and Oregon and then you panic.
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

haie said:

If the coaches can't patch up Donovan's past with Penn St. they aren't power 5 recruiters. You need some super reputable OC to get it done with offensive players you just have zero creativity at sales.

The man was an absolute train wreck at Penn State, was an assistant running back for the last four year and a terrible recruiter. Hard to patch that up.

Thought Jimmy would be different when he talked about being competitive and always attacking. Such bullshit.
    You hire coordinators to coach and call plays, not recruit. I won’t judge him until the year is over and I see how the offense performs.
    Oregon seems to be using him as a negative recruiting point just fine. You said yourself he isn't a strong recruiter so he doesn't bring much to the table. He better be lights out as an offensive play-caller

It’s working because of Covid and no visits allowed so these recruits can’t watch practice and see the offense for themselves. Nobody could have predicted that.
    Love your takes sonics but I think thats a little bit of a cop out answer to blame it entirely on covid. Jimmy couldn't see hiring J Donovan could cause issues down the road? Especially with Joe Moorehead to oregon rumors that were going on. Jimmy couldn't have seen bob gregory, derham cato and keith bonnerpopper as weak recruiters? He had first hand experience working with BOTH terrence brown and will harris? Jimmy has been working with the majority of these guys for years.

You hire a OC to call plays not recruit so that really didn’t play a factor. Do I think he would hire position coaches if he knew they couldn’t recruit, of course not. I think he hired some inexperienced coaches betting on them to step up and take the next step like Junior and Malloe did and unfortunately it hasn’t played out like that yet. There’s still time, hopefully visits will be allowed in the fall and there will be football so they can over come some of this but no need to panick yet. Start 2-2 with losses to Michigan and Oregon and then you panic.
    Just don't see the point in giving yourself no margin for error. Can't really argue because I don't know what would have happened if visits happened without COVID.

But John Don has a shitty track record that other schools would use against us during recruiting. Doesn't take a genius to know this.

Hire Cato on the word of John Don instead of hiring an experienced pac-12 recruiter.

Instead of letting go of Bob Gregory and Bonnerpopper you decide to keep them. Don't know if Cohen made him keep them or not.

Decide to go with Will harris and Terrence brown as the db coaches instead of hiring a proven coach that can recruit and develop.

Just no margin for error now with COVID. It hurts more with Oregon killing it with everyone, especially kids we had a lead for.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

haie said:

Just don't see the point in giving yourself no margin for error. Can't really argue because I don't know what would have happened if visits happened without COVID.

But John Don has a shitty track record that other schools would use against us during recruiting. Doesn't take a genius to know this.

Hire Cato on the word of John Don instead of hiring an experienced pac-12 recruiter.

Instead of letting go of Bob Gregory and Bonnerpopper you decide to keep them. Don't know if Cohen made him keep them or not.

Decide to go with Will harris and Terrence brown as the db coaches instead of hiring a proven coach that can recruit and develop.

Just no margin for error now with COVID. It hurts more with Oregon killing it with everyone, especially kids we had a lead for.
    The negative recruiting against Donovan was obvious ... but you are hoping to counteract that by players coming on campus, seeing spring ball, and Donovan being able to sell his offense. What happens on the field matters and we can’t see that yet. Most troubling to me is Donovan’s comments to date being brutal regarding recruiting ... just terrible

Cato appears to be too green and in over his head ... we are getting what we essentially paid for

Gregory and KB are here because we didn’t want to pay another $1M in buyouts ... I don’t care what anybody says but that’s what happened ... I think we’d all be shocked if either were back next year

DB coaches see Cato ... although Harris is disappointing because he’s been on staff for a while and can’t seem to find his niche ... really disappointing
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,532
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    DoogDawg said:

godawgst said:

It's Oregon's to lose. He's going to stay on the West Coast imo, and of the three he thinks Oregon can win a NC.

His description of us is what old people say about a old pair of shoes they like. Comfortable, safe, secure, etc. That doesn't sound like a kid excited about coming here. What he said about the Ducks is.

Pete why couldn't you have just grinded thru another 12 months and decided you didn't want to go out 8-5....... Recruiting is going extremely suboptimal and has fallen off a cliff since he's left.

Unfortunately, the alternate reality is if Pete stays, we land Kellen Moore as OC (some of you fuckers might not like Kellen, but hype matters and he would've brought it), and almost certainly land JTT, Emeka, and Troy. With the returning defense, we'd be easily looking at an 11 win team.
    Moore was never leaving Dallas. Pipe dream.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Honest question:

What do you Dawgs think of Kimmy and her recruiting information?

Because she said Franklin and Mak were locks!

All her recruiting info comes from the coaches which is great when they have a good feel for recruiting but when they are overly bullish and not understanding where they actually stand it leads to a lot of wrong predictions which she has been making since Jimmy took over. I talked to Will a few times and he would tell me how he thinks they have a good shot at there top targets when all my third party sources where saying that’s not true. That’s why I was negative before all this went down because I could see it coming. And she is wrong about Troy right now, he’s all Oregon and if he decides early (decent shot at that) it’s going to be Oregon. Washington’s only hope is this drags out so they can get him on campus again but Washington has been out recruited so far for Troy.
    @sonics1993 would you say that Jimmy Lake is aware of his staffs deficiencies on the recruiting trail? does he have a good feel for recruiting?

Is it Junior getting blown out for troy? or is it a collective effort?
    I think he’s finding out how bad his staff is at recruiting right now. We got three coaches who can go toe to toe with almost anyone in recruiting in Huff, Junior and Malloe, one who is above average in coach K and six coaches who can’t get it done. Junior is the only reason we are still in it for Troy. Main problem with Troy was hiring Donovan because they just been bashing the shit out of him and it’s been working. Showed him the stats when he was there at Penn State and then the years after when Moorehead (there new OC) took over. Set up perfectly for them.
    I find it hard to believe that Jimmy, who was our best recruiting assistant, would just let Harris/Brown/Cato/Gregory/KB/Donovan do their own thing recruiting without significant oversight from him.

Especially with the DB recruiting, why is the blame being pushed to Harris/Brown and not directly to Jimmy? At the end of the day, it's on Jimmy if we aren't landing DB recruits, because either he fucked it up or he gave too much leash to unproven assistants
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

haie said:

The negative recruiting against Donovan was obvious ... but you are hoping to counteract that by players coming on campus, seeing spring ball, and Donovan being able to sell his offense. What happens on the field matters and we can’t see that yet. Most troubling to me is Donovan’s comments to date being brutal regarding recruiting ... just terrible

Cato appears to be too green and in over his head ... we are getting what we essentially paid for

Gregory and KB are here because we didn’t want to pay another $1M in buyouts ... I don’t care what anybody says but that’s what happened ... I think we’d all be shocked if either were back next year

DB coaches see Cato ... although Harris is disappointing because he’s been on staff for a while and can’t seem to find his niche ... really disappointing
    I won’t even be a little bit shocked if Boner or Gregory stay next year. I bet at least one will.
    Loyalty is a bitch sometimes.

As Han once said "it's not easy being ruthless, it takes more strength than you might believe"
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Let’s state this....
    I hate you, you hate me. We both think our teams are superior.

I want your honest opinion.
    Kimmy says the following after our last 12 out of 15 commits:

The day or day after a UofO commit:

-Huskies/We have moved on

-Oregon must of paid the family

-Not OKG

-We have higher rated targets

AND NOW....
    She says something to the effect that Lake & Co. are letting Oregon get commits because you are going to flip them later! And that the past 24mo’s of recruiting < UW all the way!

Do you truly believe this?

Nobody here believes this at all. Have you bothered to read anything here?

Gates...
  • Options
    KevinPAC12KevinPAC12 Member Posts: 62
    5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

Let’s state this....

-Not OKG

AND NOW....
    She says something to the effect that Lake & Co. are letting Oregon get commits because you are going to flip them later! And that the past 24mo’s of recruiting < UW all the way!

Gates...
    Bothered to go through a rivals board that in depth? No Chuck, I haven’t.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Have you heard anything about what the offense will look like? The only descriptions I've heard thus far have been completely generic - "Attacking", "Aggressive", "Pro style"..

haie said:

Have you heard anything about what the offense will look like? The only descriptions I've heard thus far have been completely generic - "Attacking", "Aggressive", "Pro style"..
    Told a lot of power running with play action built off of it. With a new OL and QB expect them to lean on the run and the size the have built up front. The hope is that they will be successful in the run game forcing eight man boxes which will allow one on one matchups for the WR’s when they do play action which is where they are hoping to hit deep passes. If you look at the WR’s we have with Chin, Bynum, Puka, Jalen, Rome and Ty, they are guys that should be able to get open deep so Jimmy believes the scheme John is bringing in fits with the players they have on the roster which in theory I would agree with.
    Had the 2017-2019 teams had that philosophy, I am convinced we would have been in 1 more playoff. Especially the 2017 team.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

It's very illuminating to me that Lake was an ace recruiter as a position coach. Absolute stud. But in the head closer role he is fizzling bad. My understanding was always that position coaches tee them up for the big close. Lake seems to be stellar at the former, but with decidedly mixed results at the latter. Or perhaps the assistants just aren't getting them tee'd up correctly? Love having @sonics1993 around to give some background and context, but whatever is going on since Pete, it isn't working.

The OC hire was just epically bad, and of course it's being used against us. You know how easy it is to paint a narrative of "Pete left, and look what Lake did....hired a nobody OC who was terrible the last time he had a real job." This is JV level stuff to see and visualize. Lake is learning real quick that having the big chair isn't easy. We better pray for a good season, or we fuct.

This until the end of time. Jimmy the DB coach and best recruiter on staff the last 6 years didn't suddenly learn how to not close or get the kids close enough for him and Pete to pull them over the finish line.

2/3rd of his staff simply can't get the psa's close enough to see themselves committing to UW for Jimmy to finish the deal. Obviously getting the kids on campus will help with our message and branding, but every day this goes on, our chances to salvage this class slips more and more.

We have essentially put oursevles in the position of having to thread the needle with the season and how it needs to go in terms of wins, and the chances of that happening with a new HC, QB, OC and the road schedule along with Michigan at home are not good at all.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I also think Lake choose to keep KB and BG. Pete had he stayed, knew what he needed to do (as did Jimm) and imo Jen Cohen had to have some idea of that as well which means she knew what the budget implications were.

The buyouts of Keith and Bob, along with Bush/Jordan would have been eseentially equal to the money saved by Pete living, which Jen has no issue getting the board of regents to sign off on if she even has to get their okay.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I could see Gregory and KB kept on staff this year to aid in the transition and buy Jimmy time to build a network and replacements

Probably fair to say a smaller network for Jimmy than Pete
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

I could see Gregory and KB kept on staff this year to aid in the transition and buy Jimmy time to build a network and replacements

Probably fair to say a smaller network for Jimmy than Pete

I can buy that. Still sucks though, but probably accurate.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Let’s state this....

-Not OKG

AND NOW....

Gates...
    You've had time to post a fair amount. Are you saying that you posted 17 times without bothering to read what you were replying to? That's pretty stupid.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183

chuck said:

Let’s state this....

-Not OKG

AND NOW....

Gates...
    Perhaps you should PM @IrishDuck22 to get this place dialed in.
  • Options
    KevinPAC12KevinPAC12 Member Posts: 62
    5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Let’s state this....

-Not OKG

AND NOW....

Gates...
    You've had time to post a fair amount. Are you saying that you posted 17 times without bothering to read what you were replying to? That's pretty stupid.
    I have read enough to ask a simple question. I like to look over the fence and see what the view is. Kim says Franklin is still UWs and you moved on from all TEs that Oregon is interested in.

She is a nut job and was wondering if this board supported it.

I’m open to have discussions on issues.

I hate you, you hate me. But....

I can’t imagine not having Washington on the schedule each year!