Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Should be a Great Playoffs

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Rick Carlisle is a great coach. I haven't seen San Antonio so out of sync. Normally, they are shooting wide open 3's when I watch. Dallas is keeping Parker out of the lane well too. I thought Dallas was a bad defensive team too. The Spurs normally adjust, but this is going to be a tough series for them. I honestly thought they would sweep or win in 5.

Carlisle is great but it could still be over in 5. SA is going to adjust, I'd be shocked if they lost game 3. Then we'll see if Dallas has another move in them. I just doubt it because that roster is fairly limited. I think we'll see Leonard have a big game 3.
    Carlisle is the only elite coach I feel who isn't on an elite team. He's a top 5 coach and I think against OKC they could have had a shot.

My top 5 are

1. Pop

2. Spol
    3. Rivers

4. Carlisle

5. The rest is a fucking a dreckfest
    Wow. I am just not a Rivers beliver. Anybody could have won with Pierce, Garnett and Allen in their primes (or close to) and a young Rondo. He'd barely be top ten for me, if that.

But you got #1 right and that's really all that matters. Pops >>>>>>> errybody.
    Rivers took them when they were aging to the NBA Finals though in 2010 and really one luck ass Metta World Peace bullshit three away from winning a title.

Then in 2012 when they were even more aging pushed the Heat to the brink to 7 games and even had a lead in that game 7.

Rivers is a top tier coach. I would really like to see your list of 10 coaches who are better than Doc.
    Pierce and Garnett swept the Heat in four games this season this season with two more years of wear and tear on them, no Doc and Jason effing Kidd coaching them.

I don't think Doc's the reason those teams did anything special.

I'm not a huge NBA guy anymore but slowly getting back into it. If I was starting a team from scratch with Paul Allen's money (hi AOG!), here's the rough order I'd call the men currently coaching NBA teams.

1. Popovich

2. Carlisle

3. Thibedeau - yeah, this year doesn't speak highly of him, but I value defense and Thib's is the best defensive coach in the league. His team's have overachieved far more than they've underachieved.

4. Vogel - yeah, they've sucked ass down the stretch this year, but like with Thibedeau I don't think you can overreact to one bad stretch (in Vogel's case, two bad months basically). They overachieved significantly the last two and a half years before the collapse. I think he can coach.

5. Spoelstra - Hard to say where he really belongs, haven't seen him without massive amounts of talent. But when he's been without one of the big three he's generally done pretty well. I think he's pretty good, but I'm not really sure how good.

6. Hornacek - hated him as a player but he's coached his ass off this year.

7. Mark Jackson - his team's play hard and he gets a lot out of a pretty limited roster.

8. Brad Stevens - yes, I'm a believer. Dude can flat out coach.

9. Buddenholzerheimerschmidt

10. Rivers - I've never been impressed with him as a coach, but he brings name value and attracts talent, so I'd slide him in right about here. But I do not think he's special.
    That's the regular season and they also have Deron Williams and Joe Johnson which helps. I don't think the Big three era Heat have yet to win a season series against the Bulls but they are 8-2 against them in the playoffs.

As for the second bolded part no coach is truly the reason a team wins a title except for maybe Larry Brown in 2004. Outside of that behind every great coach is a great player so you can pick apart every championship coach and bring up the stars he had.

Facts are Doc just like Spoelstra got it done. Also Doc deserves credit because KG, Allen and Pierce had never won anything before ever. That was a lot of pressure on a group that had never even played in an NBA finals at any point in their NBA career prior to that.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

dnc said:

Rick Carlisle is a great coach. I haven't seen San Antonio so out of sync. Normally, they are shooting wide open 3's when I watch. Dallas is keeping Parker out of the lane well too. I thought Dallas was a bad defensive team too. The Spurs normally adjust, but this is going to be a tough series for them. I honestly thought they would sweep or win in 5.

Carlisle is great but it could still be over in 5. SA is going to adjust, I'd be shocked if they lost game 3. Then we'll see if Dallas has another move in them. I just doubt it because that roster is fairly limited. I think we'll see Leonard have a big game 3.
    Carlisle is the only elite coach I feel who isn't on an elite team. He's a top 5 coach and I think against OKC they could have had a shot.

My top 5 are

1. Pop

2. Spol
    3. Rivers

4. Carlisle

Wow. I am just not a Rivers beliver. Anybody could have won with Pierce, Garnett and Allen in their primes (or close to) and a young Rondo. He'd barely be top ten for me, if that.

Rivers took them when they were aging to the NBA Finals though in 2010 and really one luck ass Metta World Peace bullshit three away from winning a title.

Then in 2012 when they were even more aging pushed the Heat to the brink to 7 games and even had a lead in that game 7.

Rivers is a top tier coach. I would really like to see your list of 10 coaches who are better than Doc.
    Pierce and Garnett swept the Heat in four games this season this season with two more years of wear and tear on them, no Doc and Jason effing Kidd coaching them.

I'm not a huge NBA guy anymore but slowly getting back into it. If I was starting a team from scratch with Paul Allen's money (hi AOG!), here's the rough order I'd call the men currently coaching NBA teams.

1. Popovich

2. Carlisle

3. Thibedeau - yeah, this year doesn't speak highly of him, but I value defense and Thib's is the best defensive coach in the league. His team's have overachieved far more than they've underachieved.

4. Vogel - yeah, they've sucked ass down the stretch this year, but like with Thibedeau I don't think you can overreact to one bad stretch (in Vogel's case, two bad months basically). They overachieved significantly the last two and a half years before the collapse. I think he can coach.

5. Spoelstra - Hard to say where he really belongs, haven't seen him without massive amounts of talent. But when he's been without one of the big three he's generally done pretty well. I think he's pretty good, but I'm not really sure how good.

7. Mark Jackson - his team's play hard and he gets a lot out of a pretty limited roster.

10. Rivers - I've never been impressed with him as a coach, but he brings name value and attracts talent, so I'd slide him in right about here. But I do not think he's special.
    That's the regular season and they also have Deron Williams and Joe Johnson which helps. I don't think the Big three era Heat have yet to win a season series against the Bulls but they are 8-2 against them in the playoffs.

As for the second bolded part no coach is truly the reason a team wins a title except for maybe Larry Brown in 2004. Outside of that behind every great coach is a great player so you can pick apart every championship coach and bring up the stars he had.

Facts are Doc just like Spoelstra got it done. Also Doc deserves credit because KG, Allen and Pierce had never won anything before ever. That was a lot of pressure on a group that had never even played in an NBA finals at any point in their NBA career prior to that.
    Fair points. The difference for me is we've never seen Spoelstra suck, but we have seen Doc suck. Given the choice, I'll roll the dice with the guy who's teams have never sucked.

I agree you can take a title away from any coach if you just narrow it down to the players, but I've just seen Doc make too many inexplicable moves. I think his teams have won in spite of him. But to me he's borderline top 10 because that ring gives his credibility with players, which is a huge part of the battle.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

My top 5 are

1. Pop

2. Spol
    3. Rivers

4. Carlisle

1. Popovich

2. Carlisle

Fair points. The difference for me is we've never seen Spoelstra suck, but we have seen Doc suck. Given the choice, I'll roll the dice with the guy who's teams have never sucked.

I agree you can take a title away from any coach if you just narrow it down to the players, but I've just seen Doc make too many inexplicable moves. I think his teams have won in spite of him. But to me he's borderline top 10 because that ring gives his credibility with players, which is a huge part of the battle.
    Ultimately that is why I gave Spol the slight nod over Rivers. I think the consensus seems to be Rivers > Spol or at least that is the reaction I tend to get.

Thibs could be headed down the George Karl road. I'm a fan of Karl but how we look at Karl, Jerry Sloan, Rick Adelmen might be Thibs fate.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

My top 5 are

1. Pop

2. Spol
    3. Rivers

4. Carlisle

I think you're under rating that title. Lebron, Wade and Bosh couldn't win it in their first year together. Rondo was a rookie. And they beat a really good Lakers team with Kobe, Gasol, Odom and Phil.

He learned a lot from Thibodeau defensively. Turned Deandre Jordan into a top 5 defensive big man.

I don't think he could go toe to toe with Pop and Carlisle on X's and O's and adjustments. But he really understands how to handle his teams and get his message through.
    Rondo wasn't a rookie. Doc used to be a bad coach in Orlando and early in Boston. Once he got KG and Allen, he did well. Those guys were focused on wining and at the end of their prime. He's one of the better coaches, but I kind of agree with DNC too that he's overrated.

• Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

My top 5 are

1. Pop

2. Spol
    3. Rivers

4. Carlisle

1. Popovich

2. Carlisle

Just wanted to pointed out the bold statement is DNC's "This team does not suck" and "The Mariners will win 85-90 games and be 3-5 games above .500 after April".

Yes I'm just trolling as I'm getting a little tired of Sterling talk.