Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PM to BAMF @Swaye

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    ANSWER THE QUESTION @Swaye
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    So... tell him already!
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    Founders Club
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,676
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

@Swaye

I'm preparing my final meal.

ANSWER THE QUESTION !!

You didn't have to ditch did you? Did you?!
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,469
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Some random thoughts....

Carrier landings are counted on what's called the greenie board bored. Every single one of them is graded, even if it's at night after you returned from a bombing run with three in air refuelings and you are wiped the fuck out. During my first CQ (carrier quals) ever, still as a student (didn't even have my wings yet) I almost killed myself. I had done one touch and go (you are solo as well no instructor to bail your dumb ass out), and that went pretty shitty because I was on stem power (only your brain stem works frontal lobes are too concerned with living) only, came around for my second pass (which was hook down no touch and go you are going to snag a wire and stop quick fast and in a hurry), got repeated power calls from the LSO (landing signals officer), reacted late, and almost had a ramp strike (plane breaks in half across ass end of the flight deck). I was so shook up I couldn't hold the brakes to taxi across the deck to get gas because my knees were shaking so bad. I was pretty sure from that moment on my career was over and I would never be able to land on a carrier safely. Fast forward three years and I ruled the greenie bored for my last deployment. Message here was don't let failure and nearly killing yourself define you. Get better. The fighter pilot equivalent of rub some dirt on it pussy.

Was fun hearing him describe quals. They are a bitch. Worth it though. I was never good enough at A2A (air-to-air) to get selected for Top Gun. My 4V4 (4 planes vs 4 planes) lead my first tour was a former instructor at TG and this guy would wipe the floor with everyone in the squadron. They really do teach you to become a formidable weapon in A2A. I was however quite good at bombing. Praise Allah. Sorry about your neighborhood @PurpleBaze . Not really.

Dave talks a great deal about closing distances the first hour of the podcast (that's all I watched), which is interesting and important. That said, energy is a big deal and is talked about constantly when dogfighting. It is all about the energy state of the aircraft. That determines small circle and big circle fights, who can get their nose around first, who can flight tighter, etc.

I had a runaway trim incident (trim tabs help stabilize flight on the flaps) in an old trainer aircraft (T2) once and I almost had to eject over the Mississippi swamps because of it. Closest I've ever come to punching. I'd be an inch shorter right now had I done it, but i hear it makes your dick bigger so I probably should have.

A family member is about to graduate from the academy. His assignment is slated for advanced fighters. Proud of him!
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,676
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

pawz said:

Swaye said:

Some random thoughts....

Carrier landings are counted on what's called the greenie board bored. Every single one of them is graded, even if it's at night after you returned from a bombing run with three in air refuelings and you are wiped the fuck out. During my first CQ (carrier quals) ever, still as a student (didn't even have my wings yet) I almost killed myself. I had done one touch and go (you are solo as well no instructor to bail your dumb ass out), and that went pretty shitty because I was on stem power (only your brain stem works frontal lobes are too concerned with living) only, came around for my second pass (which was hook down no touch and go you are going to snag a wire and stop quick fast and in a hurry), got repeated power calls from the LSO (landing signals officer), reacted late, and almost had a ramp strike (plane breaks in half across ass end of the flight deck). I was so shook up I couldn't hold the brakes to taxi across the deck to get gas because my knees were shaking so bad. I was pretty sure from that moment on my career was over and I would never be able to land on a carrier safely. Fast forward three years and I ruled the greenie bored for my last deployment. Message here was don't let failure and nearly killing yourself define you. Get better. The fighter pilot equivalent of rub some dirt on it pussy.

Was fun hearing him describe quals. They are a bitch. Worth it though. I was never good enough at A2A (air-to-air) to get selected for Top Gun. My 4V4 (4 planes vs 4 planes) lead my first tour was a former instructor at TG and this guy would wipe the floor with everyone in the squadron. They really do teach you to become a formidable weapon in A2A. I was however quite good at bombing. Praise Allah. Sorry about your neighborhood @PurpleBaze . Not really.

Dave talks a great deal about closing distances the first hour of the podcast (that's all I watched), which is interesting and important. That said, energy is a big deal and is talked about constantly when dogfighting. It is all about the energy state of the aircraft. That determines small circle and big circle fights, who can get their nose around first, who can flight tighter, etc.

I had a runaway trim incident (trim tabs help stabilize flight on the flaps) in an old trainer aircraft (T2) once and I almost had to eject over the Mississippi swamps because of it. Closest I've ever come to punching. I'd be an inch shorter right now had I done it, but i hear it makes your dick bigger so I probably should have.

The last half of the podcast is when Dave talked about landing pitch-black and/or zero visibility and the importance of the LSO. He said it was common for the most season pilot to be shaking like a motherfucker after landing due to nerves. He said it was a gut check every. single. fucking. tim.

TYFYS x1000
    Oh yeah. I have mentioned that a couple of tims here over the years. If you aren't scared on a dark moonless night with weather trying to land, you have no self-preservation gene. Anyone who says it isn't a nut sack check is just trying to show off false bravado.

First dark night landing I made I almost puked afterwards from the adrenaline dump. You can't see shit. You are flying 130 mph to land on a small area (imagine an area about 50 yards long and between the 20's hashes) that's moving and the only visual reference you have is the meatball (literally a light bar that you can't see in bad weather at all anyway) and the LSO talking you down. So when you have low ceilings and visibility it is nothign but one dude checking you left and right and making your power calls because you won't see the deck until about 3 seconds before you hit it.

If I could suck an ejection seat into my ass I would have I was puckered so tight.

This is good weather:

This officially redefines "shaking and about to vomit"
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter
    pawz said:

Swaye said:

pawz said:

Swaye said:

Some random thoughts....

The last half of the podcast is when Dave talked about landing pitch-black and/or zero visibility and the importance of the LSO. He said it was common for the most season pilot to be shaking like a motherfucker after landing due to nerves. He said it was a gut check every. single. fucking. tim.

TYFYS x1000
    Oh yeah. I have mentioned that a couple of tims here over the years. If you aren't scared on a dark moonless night with weather trying to land, you have no self-preservation gene. Anyone who says it isn't a nut sack check is just trying to show off false bravado.

First dark night landing I made I almost puked afterwards from the adrenaline dump. You can't see shit. You are flying 130 mph to land on a small area (imagine an area about 50 yards long and between the 20's hashes) that's moving and the only visual reference you have is the meatball (literally a light bar that you can't see in bad weather at all anyway) and the LSO talking you down. So when you have low ceilings and visibility it is nothign but one dude checking you left and right and making your power calls because you won't see the deck until about 3 seconds before you hit it.

If I could suck an ejection seat into my ass I would have I was puckered so tight.

This is good weather:

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Some random thoughts....

A family member is about to graduate from the academy. His assignment is slated for advanced fighters. Proud of him!
    Good luck to him. Most fun you can have with your clothes on!
    new HH slogan?
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Some random thoughts....

Good luck to him. Most fun you can have with your clothes on!
    new HH slogan?
    Also qualifies

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

My uncle was a wild weasel in Vietnam, he’s buried at the AF academy, two cousins went to the academy, I was going AF ROTC until I got a scholarship with no strings attached. I’m serving my country now tuning 5G radios to make sure pukes like OBK dont get out of line.