Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,311
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's Science!!!!!! SCIENCEEEE!!!!!
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Next week? Peak oil next near?
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,276
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

"It's a big joke!" - MikeDamone
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

the dumbest of all the climate stuff is "there will be millions of climate refugees, then you'll regret it when all of them are in the US!"

it's like no bro. we'll build a wall and shoot people that try to storm it.
  • Options

HHusky, with all due respect, you are one of the people trying to politicize this. Many in the Tug are guilty of this, it's not just you, but that doesn't make it better. I encourage you to read this post.

We know the deaths are higher than reported bases on excess death data (citation below). But so are the cases. Which is why you are now guilty of spinning this out of proportion to fit your viewpoint.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

Here are some basic numbers for you, based on legitimate NYC data.

1.4 percent fatality rate to infection, and double the deaths reported (which means like quintuple the cases, minimum).

Assuming that rate extends out to the whole of the US, which it doesn't (it's probably a little lowered), we have about 14,850,028 cases and 207,906 deaths.

Of those deaths, 26% are in the 65 and under age bracket. Extrapolate that out. 54,055 deaths under 65.

89% of those are people with at least 1 underlying health condition. Of those 54,055, 48,109 had a pre-existing condition.

That means, in the entire country, 5,946 deaths in under 65's with no pre-existing condition. Out of millions of cases.

You see how easy it is to spin numbers now?

If you're on the right, you point at the pre-existing condition numbers and say wow, nothing at all here! Open this shit!

If you're on the left, you go hey what about the 200k already dead? And what happens to the fatality rate once hospitals get overloaded? Use restrictions or don't open!

I understand that people love to be partisan, but please at least understand your bias before you post some stupid shit. When you just post numbers without understanding their context, you do more harm than good to yourself and your point. For fuck's sake.

Death isn't the only issue here and having to shut down twice will be far worse than enduring this short term pain.

Science is only right, not Left-Right.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,023
    Standard Supporter
    In 1968 an estimated 100,000 Americans died from the Hong Kong flu. US population was 201 million. In 2020 we have 330 million. Extrapolated deaths from 1968 would equate to 164,000 deaths and we didn't shut down sh*t. In 1958 the Asian flu killed an estimated 116,000 Americans. Population was 175 million. That extrapolates out to 219,000 deaths. We didn't shut down sh*t. Anyone arguing that laying off 40 million Americans for a non-unprecedented virus is either a partisan Trump hating hack or a moron who can't do numbers and sh*t. At best, it should have been a localized shut down in like NYC for a month and heavy protection for the elderly with underlying medical conditions. People like the dazzler were free to shelter in place in their basement until hell freezes over or there is a vaccine. But just like paying taxes, the dazzler feels better when everyone is suffering.
  • Options

In 1968 an estimated 100,000 Americans died from the Hong Kong flu. US population was 201 million. In 2020 we have 330 million. Extrapolated deaths from 1968 would equate to 164,000 deaths and we didn't shut down sh*t. In 1958 the Asian flu killed an estimated 116,000 Americans. Population was 175 million. That extrapolates out to 219,000 deaths. We didn't shut down sh*t. Anyone arguing that laying off 40 million Americans for a non-unprecedented virus is either a partisan Trump hating hack or a moron who can't do numbers and sh*t. At best, it should have been a localized shut down in like NYC for a month and heavy protection for the elderly with underlying medical conditions. People like the dazzler were free to shelter in place in their basement until hell freezes over or there is a vaccine. But just like paying taxes, the dazzler feels better when everyone is suffering.

If we were more like Sweden, we'd be at 140,000 dead right now and still lots of year left to hit the 350,000 GreenRiver predicted. How many pre-existing conditions do you have yourself, Gasbag?
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,023
    Standard Supporter
    If we were more like Oregon we would have a lot less dead. So, you have a point? Banning fishing in eastern Washington isn't science counselor. Neither is stuffing New York nursing homes with chicom crud victims. Laying off 40 million Americans isn't science. Like I said, just because you want to hide in your basement doesn't mean that I should have to. I know one person that had the crud, a friend of my daughters. She had mild symptoms and is recovered.
  • Options

If we were more like Oregon we would have a lot less dead. So, you have a point? Banning fishing in eastern Washington isn't science counselor. Neither is stuffing New York nursing homes with chicom crud victims. Laying off 40 million Americans isn't science. Like I said, just because you want to hide in your basement doesn't mean that I should have to. I know one person that had the crud, a friend of my daughters. She had mild symptoms and is recovered.

Oregon's biggest asset in this pandemic was having Washington for a neighbor. You'll have to look elsewhere for praise of Cuomo.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    There are people on all sides who did what the Experts said.

Wash your hands, limit contact and wait for the Science and Data to either Confirm or Disprove the Urgency of the Experts.

That phase is over. The Science and Data won. Public education teaching its citizens to read, process and think, won.

The rest is goal post repositioning
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

Oregon's biggest asset in this pandemic was having Washington for a neighbor. You'll have to look elsewhere for praise of Cuomo.
    Or criticism
  • Options
    doogie said:

Wash your hands, limit contact and wait for the Science and Data to either Confirm or Disprove the Urgency of the Experts.

That phase is over. The Science and Data won. Public education teaching its citizens to read, process and think, won.

The data is a fucktarded, manipulated mess. Still, Washington, which had irresponsible partners in the Feds and an out-of-state nursing home operator, has done remarkably well given what it was faced with. (And I'm not ignoring the fact that Inslee is fucking up communications right now when it comes to allowing businesses to plan whether they are or are not reopening next week.)

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    HHusky said:

doogie said:

The data is a fucktarded, manipulated mess. Still, Washington, which had irresponsible partners in the Feds and an out-of-state nursing home operator, has done remarkably well given what it was faced with. (And I'm not ignoring the fact that Inslee is fucking up communications right now when it comes to allowing businesses to plan whether they are or are not reopening next week.)

Blue states did worse because they have more poor people living in close quarters. This isn't hard.