Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Team might actually be chinteresting next year

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Obviously losing Stewart is a killer but if we can get the transfers eligible and if Quade can get/stay eligible I don’t hate this team. We? have shooters now which we?ve not had in the shop era outside of Crisp and flashes from Battle.

Quade
Stevenson/Bajema
Naz
Wright/Brooks
Roberts

With Tsohonis, Bey, Battle, the other whitey, Wright/Brooks, Penn-Johnson off the bench.

Really only Naz and Quade have spots locked up so lots of competition.

It should be a better team than this year which isn’t saying much but is better than I was thinking in March.

Comments

• PandaOrangeChiknDuckPandaOrangeChiknDuck Member Posts: 545
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Will next year be special?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wouldn't be shocked at a Quade Transfer 2.0.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    dawgs206 said:

dnc said:

Obviously losing Stewart is a killer but if we can get the transfers eligible and if Quade can get/stay eligible I don’t hate this team. We? have shooters now which we?ve not had in the shop era outside of Crisp and flashes from Battle.

Quade
    Stevenson/Bajema
    Naz
    Wright/Brooks
    Roberts

With Tsohonis, Bey, Battle, the other whitey, Wright/Brooks, Penn-Johnson off the bench.

Really only Naz and Quade have spots locked up so lots of competition.

It should be a better team than this year which isn’t saying much but is better than I was thinking in March.

We’ll be better than I expected a few months ago, but that starting 5 is extremely underwhelming. Even with a couple shooters, unless Hop’s offense somehow doesn’t suck, we’re going to struggle to score.
    I honestly don't disagree.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Meh, Quade still seems a lot like a Gaddy type player.

Ok on a good team he is fine, on a bad team he is garbage.

Quade just isn’t athletic enough or a good enough shooter to create things on his own.

I have zero confidence Naz can figure it out, dude hasn’t improved, still just a high schooler trying to out athlete everyone.

I have a lot more doubts on Hops ability to coach, his offensive scheme is a fucking shit show and always has been. When the defense was good it was propped up by one of the best college defenders of all time.

There was little to no individual player improvement last year and the defense was poor to the point of switching to a shitty man defense even during the preseason.

IMO if there is actual player buy in to the system maybe the team can be good, McDaniels and to a smaller extent Quade last year killed the defensive team hardworking culture.

They will probably suck.
  • PandaOrangeChiknDuckPandaOrangeChiknDuck Member Posts: 545
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    At this point, how does Hop compare to Romar?

At this point, how does Hop compare to Romar?

Worse
    Houhusky said:

Meh, Quade still seems a lot like a Gaddy type player.

Ok on a good team he is fine, on a bad team he is garbage.

Quade just isn’t athletic enough or a good enough shooter to create things on his own.

I have zero confidence Naz can figure it out, dude hasn’t improved, still just a high schooler trying to out athlete everyone.

I have a lot more doubts on Hops ability to coach, his offensive scheme is a fucking shit show and always has been. When the defense was good it was propped up by one of the best college defenders of all time.

There was little to no individual player improvement last year and the defense was poor to the point of switching to a shitty man defense even during the preseason.

IMO if there is actual player buy in to the system maybe the team can be good, McDaniels and to a smaller extent Quade last year killed the defensive team hardworking culture.

They will probably suck.

Yep the lack of development is the biggest concern of many.

I'm not suggesting this is a tourney team, I'm just saying they might not be historically bad which is what I was thinking two months ago.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Until Hop sorts out his offense, I don’t think it matters.
  • dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Bajema had 26 points last year, 1/4 of the points Battle scored. Both were young and need to add strength, but will be good role players in the coming years. I had high hopes for Bey and he hasn't progressed much yet, but hopefully we can get something out of him.

I think Stevenson will likely start (if he can play this year). He didn't shoot the ball well at Wichita, but he is a scorer and can create on his own. In Hop's offense (or lack there of), we need players that can create when nothing is happening. Quade is an okay role player, but he can't be relied on for scoring.

The team could be pretty good in two years - assuming Hop can figure something out on the offensive end, but next year will likely still be rough. We have ZERO post threat (please Banchero help us in 2021) and no reliable scorers.

Quade
    Stevenson
    Naz
    Wright
    Roberts

Off the bench:
    Battle, Bey, Bajema
    That starting 5 is depressing.

I like it 1-3. Bigs are a big question though, as usual at UW.
    dnc said:

I like it 1-3. Bigs are a big question though, as usual at UW.
    I don’t know enough about Stevenson to feel good about him as a starter.

Quade is Gaddy 2.0

Naz needs to level up in a significant way and become the guy. To date we have not seen that.

Wright is a poor man’s Darnell Gant.

Roberts should be good, but is a question mark, I assume he can rebound and defend well enough.

But I only see one above average offensive player in that mix.
    I think Quade is better than you guys are giving him credit for. I know the team completely cratered without him.

I’m just not sure if he’ll be on the court.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2020
    Here's a Quarantine special Doog theory I'm going with.

Roberts is dating one of Milloy's daughters. That's a championship family with championship work ethic. Roberts has incredible potential.

With Lawyer barking at him, he will end up being good.

Wonder who he is talking to here?

Doogles said:

Here's a Quarantine special Doog theory I'm going with.

Roberts is dating one of Milloy's daughters. That's a championship family with championship work ethic. Roberts has incredible potential.

With Lawyer barking at him, he will end up being good.

Wonder who he is talking to here?

Now THAT’S a home gym