Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

AANDY says Lambo should've read "Team of Rivals" to keep from being fired

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2014
    Found this article online. I found one quote from Lambright to be very interesting and something I completely disagree with.

Asked if he felt betrayed, Lambright said: "No, hurt is a better word. Thirty years deserves a little more. . . . I had the idea I would be around here almost as long as I wanted to be."

You gotta fucking win, Lambright. The UW didn't owe you anything if you aren't performing to the level of expectation. At the time, Rose Bowls were the expectation. 7-4 with 11 NFL players and 6-6 were not cutting it. Maybe it was because my two dads formed a lot of my opinions on Husky Football, but I hated losing as a kid and was glad when Lambright was fired. This article just cemented how great the firing was.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19981230&slug=2936208
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Good stuff RE:Lambo and Sark.

I'd say Lambo was slightly better than Sark only because he valued OL/DL play with his recruiting.

However the Lambo era gave me more heartbreak than the last dreckfest decade ever did.

Sark fucked us out of 9-10 win seasons, Lambo fucked us over out of Rose Bowls/National titles.

In his six years minimum with a Petermen or James you are talking three Rose Bowls probably four.

Anyways good thread but thinking about the Lambo years makes me want to drink a 5th of Jack Daniels now.....CHRIST!
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,978
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    That '98 season was shit. They started out pretty well (5-2?), but that Nebraska loss was totally unacceptable. The conference wasn't that great then with SC being down and OSU, WSU and the Bay Area schools all being nothing. You can't limp down the stretch, then get thumped by Ground Force.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited April 2014

Found this article online. I found one quote from Lambright to be very interesting and something I completely disagree with.

Asked if he felt betrayed, Lambright said: "No, hurt is a better word. Thirty years deserves a little more. . . . I had the idea I would be around here almost as long as I wanted to be."

You gotta fucking win, Lambright. The UW didn't owe you anything if you aren't performing to the level of expectation. At the time, Rose Bowls were the expectation. 7-4 with 11 NFL players and 6-6 were not cutting it. Maybe it was because my two dads formed a lot of my opinions on Husky Football, but I hated losing as a kid and was glad when Lambright was fired. This article just cemented how great the firing was.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19981230&slug=2936208

Fuckin' A.

Guess that explains a lot.

Here is some more bullshit from that article ... fucking amazing ...

"I'm tremendously surprised and shocked," Lambright said. "It was only a few weeks ago I was given a validation for at least next year. I was warned two weeks ago that there would be a meeting. I should have been more political, I guess. "

NO mother fucker, maybe you shouldn't have rested on your $200,000 a year salary thinking the good times would never end and started winning some fucking games.

6 and fucking 6 after taking over the top school in the Pac just 7 years earlier ...

Fuck off.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    OZONE said:

Lambo did about average with the talent they had in '95 and '96, with two embarrassing loses (Sun Bowel va. Iowa and '96 ND). Average doesn't mean he did well, it only means they didn't massively underachieve.

The other four years he underachieved. I remember Rondeau making excuses for him after the '93 season (hi Chest!). He said it was a 7-8 win team. Even as a teen I wasn't buying it.

Anyway, it's Bitchcunt Babs' fault for keeping the loyal ass't around too long.

Sark had two acceptable, yet not great years to begin, then stalled out. I give him the slight edge for leaving the program with eight wins.

Even though I'm a Duck fan, I lived in Seattle during those years (lots of places to park my seaplane) and some of my good friends were Husky season ticket holders.

The story I heard was that Babs didn't like Lambo, and refused to give him the budget he wanted to hire the assistants he wanted to hire. He was forced to field a team with great talent, but mediocre assistant coaches.
    well, that much is true: she did not like Lambo. the question is, why? well, the story I have is that it involved some off-field shenanigans in the department ... shenanigans that you only get away with when you're winning titles. he wasn't winning titles. so he didn't get away with it.

PS: by the time you're bitching about budgets and assistants, you should be door ass out. But whatever; I don't think that was it.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,507
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Anyway, the whole point of this thread is that both Lambo and Sark sucked.

Thank God we have Petersen now.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,000
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    AAAANDY is stupid. That is all.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I can't decide between Sark and Lambo. They both sucked.

Lambo had a Pac-10 championship. Sark's best year was 5-4 in conference.
    Lambo did less with more. That 1996 and 1997 team's that tied for a pac 10 title and lost the holiday bowl and Aloha bowls were he most talented team of the last 20 years. And Lambo stumbled into 7 and 9 wins.
    It was the 95 Sun Bowl team that won the Pac-10. Now let's never talk about 95 again.

Also, the argument that Lambo did less with more is true, but you could say the same for Sark, especially when you consider a team that had Locker, Polk, Kearse, Ta'amu, DTN, Bulter, Foster, and Trufant had a losing record.
    You're right,should have said 1995 and 1996.

And yes, the same can be said for Sark....that truth and the lack of a forum to express it, is the reason this place exists.
  • Options

Anyway, the whole point of this thread is that both Lambo and Sark sucked.

Thank God we have Petersen now.

Who in the fuck is Petersen?

Does he poast here?

Is his football team stacked or paper thin?
  • Options

Lambo did less with more. That 1996 and 1997 team's that tied for a pac 10 title and lost the holiday bowl and Aloha bowls were he most talented team of the last 20 years. And Lambo stumbled into 7 and 9 wins.
    It was the 95 Sun Bowl team that won the Pac-10. Now let's never talk about 95 again.

Also, the argument that Lambo did less with more is true, but you could say the same for Sark, especially when you consider a team that had Locker, Polk, Kearse, Ta'amu, DTN, Bulter, Foster, and Trufant had a losing record.

And yes, the same can be said for Sark....that truth and the lack of a forum to express it, is the reason this place exists.
    The 1997 team sent 13 guys to the NFL following year and had a 7-4 regular season. Were ranked #2 in the country and top 10 until November.

That was the most depressing season ever even more than 2008.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,420
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

True. OTOH, while Sark didn't take over the owen12 debacle that doog folklore likes to say he did, he didn't take over a a program coming off of 3 straight Rose Bowels with clearly established dominance in the northwest and most of the west coast either. Lambo inherited a sweetheart opportunity and never did better than splitting a conference title in six years.

I put Lambo slightly ahead of Sark, but I see the argument. They have a ton in common, right down to the PLSS love.

Yes, Lambo inherited a stacked roster. However, I wouldn't classify taking over a team less than two weeks before the season opener, trying to fill the shoes of a legendary coach (who just resigned in large part to protest his own university's actions), including two years probation/bowl ban, scholarship reductions, and no tv revenue exactly a, "sweetheart opportunity."

The program was absolutely shook to the core when DJ resigned, make no qualms about it.

I recognize Lambo wasn't the best HC, but comparing him to Sark is over the line. Lambo dedicated 30+ years as a student, player and coach to UW, and he gets compared to that shitbag Sark, who was here for five? Did Sark ever beat 0regon_GFY? How about Ohio St? What about Miami? DIAFF.

I don't give a shit, dedicating your life to something, anything, for 30+ years deserves some fucking respect.

Go fuck yourselves.

• Options

dnc said:

True. OTOH, while Sark didn't take over the owen12 debacle that doog folklore likes to say he did, he didn't take over a a program coming off of 3 straight Rose Bowels with clearly established dominance in the northwest and most of the west coast either. Lambo inherited a sweetheart opportunity and never did better than splitting a conference title in six years.

I put Lambo slightly ahead of Sark, but I see the argument. They have a ton in common, right down to the PLSS love.

Yes, Lambo inherited a stacked roster. However, I wouldn't classify taking over a team less than two weeks before the season opener, trying to fill the shoes of a legendary coach (who just resigned in large part to protest his own university's actions), including two years probation/bowl ban, scholarship reductions, and no tv revenue exactly a, "sweetheart opportunity."

The program was absolutely shook to the core when DJ resigned, make no qualms about it.

I recognize Lambo wasn't the best HC, but comparing him to Sark is over the line. Lambo dedicated 30+ years as a student, player and coach to UW, and he gets compared to that shitbag Sark, who was here for five? Did Sark ever beat 0regon_GFY? How about Ohio St? What about Miami? DIAFF.

I don't give a shit, dedicating your life to something, anything, for 30+ years deserves some fucking respect.

Go fuck yourselves.

Take this shit to Doogman where it belongs. You paint this dark picture for Lambo but facts are he inherited very talented teams. Probably more talented than any James team minus 1991 and 1984. The 1997 team actually had the talent to even match those teams. Throw in the fact that a different coach would have coached that squad up better and that team could have won a national title.

Lambo was slightly better than Sark but IMO both underachieved given the talent level. Both will have their Doogs like PLSS take away from his successor and give the credit to those dipshits as well.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,420
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Go fuck yourselves.

Take this shit to Doogman where it belongs. You paint this dark picture for Lambo but facts are he inherited very talented teams. Probably more talented than any James team minus 1991 and 1984. The 1997 team actually had the talent to even match those teams. Throw in the fact that a different coach would have coached that squad up better and that team could have won a national title.

Lambo was slightly better than Sark but IMO both underachieved given the talent level. Both will have their Doogs like PLSS take away from his successor and give the credit to those dipshits as well.
    "I don't deal in hypotheticals."

• Options

dnc said:

Go fuck yourselves.

Even Don James doesn't buy your shit:

James not surprised

Don James, the winningest football coach in Washington history, whom Lambright replaced, said he wasn't surprised by the decision.

"I feel sorry for all of those coaches and their families," he said. "I'm not privy to all of what's going on there right now, but to me it seems a bit premature.

"There is going to be criticism. There always is. A few years, people wanted to get rid of me. The key is to win. And in the final analysis, Jim didn't do enough of that to keep the pressure off of him."
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

The 1997 team sent 13 guys to the NFL following year and had a 7-4 regular season. Were ranked #2 in the country and top 10 until November.

That was the most depressing season ever even more than 2008.
    Exactly. In 2008 I felt we'd win 4 games and even told friends (in an email) that if Locker gets hurt we could only win 2.

1997 is the biggest dissapointment since losing to UCLA in 1990 and blowing the Apple Cup in 1982.
  • Options

dnc said:

Go fuck yourselves.

"I don't deal in hypotheticals."

If you don't think an average coach would have done better with the talent Lambo was given then I can't help you.
  • Options

dnc said:

Go fuck yourselves.

You don't get credit for dedicating your life to something when you get paid.