Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Coaches Say 6 Weeks of Prep a Minimum Before 1st Game

Comments

• PandaOrangeChiknDuckPandaOrangeChiknDuck Member Posts: 545
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited May 2020
    Because of California's quarantine policy, the PAC 12 might not even have football this year. Even though Oregon is supposed to have a great year, I think in the long run it might be a good thing. This could end the PAC 12 conference. Oregon and Washington would make a great fit for the BIG10. It puts the Big10 at 16 teams, and brings in an instant rivalry. the California and Arizona schools can go to the Big 12. Utah and Colorado can beg the SEC to take them to make that conference 16, and OSU and Washington St. can pound sand in a lower tier conference.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Because of California's quarantine policy, the PAC 12 might not even have football this year. Even though Oregon is supposed to have a great year, I think in the long run it might be a good thing. This could end the PAC 12 conference. Oregon and Washington would make a great fit for the BIG10. It puts the Big10 at 16 teams, and brings in an instant rivalry. the California and Arizona schools can go to the Big 12. Utah and Colorado can beg the SEC to take them to make that conference 16, and OSU and Washington St. can pound sand in a lower tier conference.

Might not? TSIO. HTH
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Dumb fucking potd
    ntxduck said:

Dumb fucking potd
    An alternative is to have all 12 teams die a slow painful death.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428

ntxduck said:

Dumb fucking potd
    You mean every year since Tom Hansen was Pac-12 commish?

ntxduck said:

Dumb fucking potd
    Emmert is going to need to stop being a pussy and mandate that everyone plays in the fall or no one does. This thing could be the bubonic plague and the sec would still play. Even playing without fans, about 1/3 of schools would not play because they would lose money on it.

Anyone saying anything definitively one way or another before July is dumb, but schools should be preparing for a fall kick, and if that’s not feasible, emmert needs to grow some balls (fat chance) and move it back to January
    edited May 2020
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Dumb fucking potd
    Emmert is going to need to stop being a pussy and mandate that everyone plays in the fall or no one does. This thing could be the bubonic plague and the sec would still play. Even playing without fans, about 1/3 of schools would not play because they would lose money on it.

Anyone saying anything definitively one way or another before July is dumb, but schools should be preparing for a fall kick, and if that’s not feasible, emmert needs to grow some balls (fat chance) and move it back to January
    He won’t. Sorry if this went over your head, but Emmert doesn’t make the call on college football. The SEC does. If Emmert plays hardball, the SEC will just say fuck you and play their own schedule within conference. ESPN will pay them of course, and recruits around the country even more so will flock to the southeast.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Commissioners and ADs have weighed the possibility of hosting athletes on campus in the fall, even if classes for most students are held online. The move would lessen the risk of contracting COVID-19, but with over 5,000-plus FBS football players, a positive COVID-19 test is almost guarantee. If a positive test occurs during the season, that would be a "nightmare," per Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick.

"I think that's the nightmare. That's the worst case," Swarbrick told Sports Illustrated's Pat Forde and Ross Dellenger. "We've got to do all we can to avoid that scenario. Statistically, if you have 20,000 students on campus, chances are pretty good that some are coming back with the virus. We'll be testing like crazy."

Question football related not political - are we? comfortable with the standard that one positive test would be a disaster?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Commissioners and ADs have weighed the possibility of hosting athletes on campus in the fall, even if classes for most students are held online. The move would lessen the risk of contracting COVID-19, but with over 5,000-plus FBS football players, a positive COVID-19 test is almost guarantee. If a positive test occurs during the season, that would be a "nightmare," per Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick.

"I think that's the nightmare. That's the worst case," Swarbrick told Sports Illustrated's Pat Forde and Ross Dellenger. "We've got to do all we can to avoid that scenario. Statistically, if you have 20,000 students on campus, chances are pretty good that some are coming back with the virus. We'll be testing like crazy."

Question football related not political - are we? comfortable with the standard that one positive test would be a disaster?

In a bunch of 19-22 (okay, 45 at BYU) year old prime athletes? Uh, fuck no.

Hawt take inbound: Use college football players as the clinical study for potential treatments and vaccines. Infect them all, quarantine them together during fall camp, build those antibodies, and then let them play. Death count: Statistics would suggest something in the range of zero to two out of those 5000. At that age and level of fitness, at least.

Now, I agree that we should probably postpone the Octogenarian Football League's season until a vaccine is proven. Probably.

I don't understand at all the concern about the players themselves getting sick in the same way most aren't concerned about the kid stocking shelves at the grocery store. They probably won't even experience symptoms, but it's all about who they can give it to. An empty college campus is a hell of a place to quarantine together. Now, the fans in the stands? That's a problem. And the schools whose lack of TV money would make hosting empty stadium games a losing proposition, there had better be discussions of revenue sharing or I don't see the season happening. That one is a valid argument.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Also, invalid question. There's no such thing as a single positive test on a college football team. This shit is too contagious, and they'd instantly start testing everyone else on the team, coaches, staff, etc. The real question is, "Are we comfortable with the standard that one positive test will mean COVID is going to sweep through college football programs, and this would be a disaster?"

My answer above still stands.

Swaye's Wigwam

In a bunch of 19-22 (okay, 45 at BYU) year old prime athletes? Uh, fuck no.

Hawt take inbound: Use college football players as the clinical study for potential treatments and vaccines. Infect them all, quarantine them together during fall camp, build those antibodies, and then let them play. Death count: Statistics would suggest something in the range of zero to two out of those 5000. At that age and level of fitness, at least.

Now, I agree that we should probably postpone the Octogenarian Football League's season until a vaccine is proven. Probably.

I don't understand at all the concern about the players themselves getting sick in the same way most aren't concerned about the kid stocking shelves at the grocery store. They probably won't even experience symptoms, but it's all about who they can give it to. An empty college campus is a hell of a place to quarantine together. Now, the fans in the stands? That's a problem. And the schools whose lack of TV money would make hosting empty stadium games a losing proposition, there had better be discussions of revenue sharing or I don't see the season happening. That one is a valid argument.
    General agreement. I would let fans decide if they want to go or not. Students if on campus would be similar to players in being low risk

Getting the vid isn't a death sentence for most

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited May 2020
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Dumb fucking potd

Emmert sucks ass but there's no way he has that kind of leverage.

If he plays hardball he loses the SEC.

If the SEC bounces, the B1G won't be far behind.

At that poont the NCAA is basically toast.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Also, invalid question. There's no such thing as a single positive test on a college football team. This shit is too contagious, and they'd instantly start testing everyone else on the team, coaches, staff, etc. The real question is, "Are we comfortable with the standard that one positive test will mean COVID is going to sweep through college football programs, and this would be a disaster?"

Don't question my question. That was the Domer who said it. Its the mindset of going from flatten the curve to not a single case.

You did highlight the absurdity of thinking that by September the Vid wouldn't have already swept through

And I did generally agree with your reply

I don’t think anyone’s worried about kids dying. I think they’re more worried about the potential (some data shows it, other doesnt) for permanent lung and organ injuries even in asymptomatic cases. If everyone on a team got it, you could have 4-5 kids per team medically retiring with what is basically COPD. Hopefully we get some better data by July and are able to make a more informed decision.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Don't question my question. That was the Domer who said it. Its the mindset of going from flatten the curve to not a single case.

You did highlight the absurdity of thinking that by September the Vid wouldn't have already swept through

I see your point. It was the Domer who created the absurd strawman, and you were right to question it. That second post immediately followed my first, as it popped into my head right after submitting, so I hadn't read your general agreement when adding that.
    ntxduck said:

I don’t think anyone’s worried about kids dying. I think they’re more worried about the potential (some data shows it, other doesnt) for permanent lung and organ injuries even in asymptomatic cases. If everyone on a team got it, you could have 4-5 kids per team medically retiring with what is basically COPD. Hopefully we get some better data by July and are able to make a more informed decision.

This is news to me. If this ends up being the case, that changes things completely. "The Kids" are already getting brain damage for our amusement, adding permanent lung damage would be really piling on.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I see your point. It was the Domer who created the absurd strawman, and you were right to question it. That second post immediately followed my first, as it popped into my head right after submitting, so I hadn't read your general agreement when adding that.
    ntxduck said:

This is news to me. If this ends up being the case, that changes things completely. "The Kids" are already getting brain damage for our amusement, adding permanent lung damage would be really piling on.
    But free education
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,160
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Will there be an Alumni game?