Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Something Completely Different: Geothermal-Centric Global Warming

Comments

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,555
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I will come in at 12% but agree on fascinating. I checked out his twatter also

I definitely do not think that the global warming is all because of mankind - this makes more sense but this guy will be assassinated by Greta
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I am not all qualified to judge whether he's got something or not. However, I always thought something was missing from the "science" on this, but had no clue what it might be.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,555
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I just want to see a ton of volcanic activity before I move on - maybe one of the super volcanos? Yellowstone? be the death of man in Coronavirus proportions - Fauxi will be impressed
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,110
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This seems logical. The core must be driving more heat to the surface than the atmosphere. No idea if that is true or not. It must be true because it’s counter intuitive that a place like Death Valley is way hotter than the Rocky Mountains even though the mountain is closer to the sun.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    Bob_C said:

This seems logical. The core must be driving more heat to the surface than the atmosphere. No idea if that is true or not. It must be true because it’s counter intuitive that a place like Death Valley is way hotter than the Rocky Mountains even though the mountain is closer to the sun.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,320
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Deforestation leads to reduced cloud cover, reduced cloud cover means less precipitation, less precipitation means more desert, more desert means more extreme temperatures. Odds are we've deforested around 70% of the planet since humanity became a thing.

Even if you subtract the climate change element of it desertification is a very real problem. The good news is that in many ways it's fairly easy to correct.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Deforestation leads to reduced cloud cover, reduced cloud cover means less precipitation, less precipitation means more desert, more desert means more extreme temperatures. Odds are we've deforested around 70% of the planet since humanity became a thing.

Even if you subtract the climate change element of it desertification is a very real problem. The good news is that in many ways it's fairly easy to correct.

Your one I wanted an article explainer from. Chop chop.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Started to read it. Too much apologises for having a differing opinion from dogma. Maybe I'll finish it later.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Started to read it. Too much apologises for having a differing opinion from dogma. Maybe I'll finish it later.
    That tails off after the first couple scrolls. Lotta jargon, which can be a yellow flag.
  • Options
    DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,482
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

70%? I'm not buying that.
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Bob_C said:

But in all seriousness, interesting read. Did a good job stressing that nothing is conclusive because we don't have enough year-by-year data to say it's not random. Also did a good job stressing that this isn't *the* explanation, but that the addition of this model in conjunction with human-produced warming (CO2 warming) is hypothetically enough to describe the changes noted in this post.

The main issue with this piece is, like the author said, there isn't enough precise data on a lot of the things cited to draw long term conclusions. So, in other words, this is a hypothesis and it's concise and clear enough to explore research upon, but in no way can legitimate conclusions be taken. It's definitely something to look into.

Most of the hypothesis seems to be based on the argument that, as opposed to the surface level temps of the ocean we measure, we need to look between 2k-6k meters, where there is heating that could be described as an anomaly, which in turn may prove that the accelerated atmospheric heating we are witnessing has something to do with the core.

One thing the author conveniently skips over, though, is the note that the warming at this depth is in the southern basins only. So, it's possible that the anomaly recorded is entirely due to a certain planetary shift that has short-term effects - in other words, this is like a little blip, which we notice because we're little blips ourselves.

In all, though, it's an explanation worth at least exploring.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Since the beginning of all human activity? The whole middle east used to be significantly more forested. Europe used to support lions. The Americas were forested bigly within the last 10,000 years.

Meh, pick a number, it's significant. Desertification and deforestation are significant now.

Not really here to argue that point. Pick a model you prefer and it's still a yuge number.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Since the beginning of all human activity? The whole middle east used to be significantly more forested. Europe used to support lions. The Americas were forested bigly within the last 10,000 years.

Meh, pick a number, it's significant. Desertification and deforestation are significant now.

Not really here to argue that point. Pick a model you prefer and it's still a yuge number.
    No argument just an interesting guestimate. Whatever the number is, I would think some areas have flourished and reforested over the eons.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,968
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    TL;DR

Are there joobs?