Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Suck it, youngsters.

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Doogles said:

Things I've learned in this thread are that Doogles is a retard and Tommy should spend more time with Pumpy.

Please to be posting that Rockets playoff game where they clanked 18 three point attempts in a row or whatever god awful number it was....

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    I think basketball today was superior to what it was back then but I don’t think the difference is as big as it looks.

Watching them back then definitely looks like dreck but I think they were a lot better than this dude on Twitter is suggesting.

Today’s dribbling is massively more aesthetically pleasing for sure but there’s a very good reason for that. The big thing is that back then they called travels and (especially) carries. There’s a reason they quit calling them, the game is prettier and more exciting without them. But playing under those rules is a major handcuff.

And yes they couldn’t shoot half as good back then but they didn’t grow up with a three point line. Take those players and have them born in 1998 and they’d be significantly better shooters too.

It’s just a different game.
    edited May 2020
    dnc said:

I think basketball today was superior to what it was back then but I don’t think the difference is as big as it looks.

Watching them back then definitely looks like dreck but I think they were a lot better than this dude on Twitter is suggesting.

Today’s dribbling is massively more aesthetically pleasing for sure but there’s a very good reason for that. The big thing is that back then they called travels and (especially) carries. There’s a reason they quit calling them, the game is prettier and more exciting without them. But playing under those rules is a major handcuff.

And yes they couldn’t shoot half as good back then but they didn’t grow up with a three point line. Take those players and have them born in 1998 and they’d be significantly better shooters too.

It’s just a different game.

Disagree. The Throbber can stroke it (heh heh) as well as any youngster and just as deep.

Just can't softly drop in at the rim like the Iceman these days. More like net level.

But I can still finger.roll.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I watched the 1993 Western Semis last week between Seattle and Houston. Game 7

The game is completely different. It was changing at that time thanks to Michael but Hakeem and Ewing still made most teams think they needed a big man regardless if he could play or not.

There is no one like the best of the best in any era as a regular guy today. They are a JAG in any era. But not wasting 20% of your lineup on a stiff who can't play did help the game immensely.

At any rate that was a good ball game. Gary and Shawn weren't the leaders yet. It was Eddie Johnson. Ricky Pierce and other vets. And the most frustrating player ever - D McKey

Mad Max for the Rockets. They played a similar game to today. Throw it in to Hakeem and stand at the three point line

The Sonics owned the Rockets.

@WilburHooksHands
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

Things I've learned in this thread are that Doogles is a retard and Tommy should spend more time with Pumpy.

Please to be posting that Rockets playoff game where they clanked 18 three point attempts in a row or whatever god awful number it was....

It's not about the misses, it's how they move. The lack of fluidity and angles. You can see them thinking.
  • PandaOrangeChiknDuckPandaOrangeChiknDuck Member Posts: 545
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

It's not about the misses, it's how they move. The lack of fluidity and angles. You can see them thinking.
    Fluidity and angles are easy when you can no longer hand check. They also stopped calling traveling and carrying the basketball altogether.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

LMAO
    edited May 2020
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

The high ball screen/put two guys in the corners is not fluidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjebTwqoDjs

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Make all the excuses you want, the tape don’t lie.

The NBA in the 80’s was like a really good YMCA run with a lot of big guys. Beers, blow, and hookers after the game.

Which is why it is astounding HH guys can't respect the game.

Hookers, blow, full blown AIDS, trash talking, fights.....WTF more do you want?

You mean the videos you didnt watch dispelling your notion the 80's guys 'literally can't pass or dribble'?

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

You mean the videos you didnt watch dispelling your notion the 80's guys 'literally can't pass or dribble'?

Did we watch the same videos???

And I never said they couldn’t pass. I said they couldn’t shoot. And they definitely can’t dribble. Your boy Pistol was such a standout by comparison for a reason.

Cmon man...it’s not an indictment on you personally. It’s just the evolution of the game/skills/etc. Happens everywhere.

Can you imagine Babe Ruth having to hit against modern pitchers?
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I don't like the athleticism argument. Obviously players of today are more athletic...they've had the advantage of growing up in a time when there's better knowledge and equipment for sports training and performance.

If Michael Jordan had been born in 1995, he'd be stronger, faster, and better at the game today than he was when he was actually 25 due to all those advantages.

So if you want to take an older player and compare him with today's players, you have to take into account that the older player would be improved if he was born in a more modern era.

That’s not how this works. Watch people dribble and shoot in the 80s and before.

Then watch now.

It’s not just the strength and conditioning difference (which is considerable).

Guys literally can’t shoot OR dribble.

Sure they can take an elbow in the face and get back up, but so what? Nobody in their right mind thinks basketball is some full contact blood sport with a ball thrown in.

But if it was, I’m pretty sure LeBron James would be even more dominant. Can you imagine Isaih Thomas trying to tackle LeBron going to the hoop?

I don't like the athleticism argument. Obviously players of today are more athletic...they've had the advantage of growing up in a time when there's better knowledge and equipment for sports training and performance.

If Michael Jordan had been born in 1995, he'd be stronger, faster, and better at the game today than he was when he was actually 25 due to all those advantages.

So if you want to take an older player and compare him with today's players, you have to take into account that the older player would be improved if he was born in a more modern era.

That’s not how this works. Watch people dribble and shoot in the 80s and before.

Then watch now.

Sure they can take an elbow in the face and get back up, but so what? Nobody in their right mind thinks basketball is some full contact blood sport with a ball thrown in.

But if it was, I’m pretty sure LeBron James would be even more dominant. Can you imagine Isaih Thomas trying to tackle LeBron going to the hoop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbLVKdDotDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CExjzyTRxnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAPu4nLzDbQ

Pot stirring. Or you're flat ass blind..

Most likely abundance.

Magic dribbled the ball like a 6th grade white kid playing an inner city team for the first time.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,387
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Then watch now.

Then watch now.

Most likely abundance.

Magic dribbled the ball like a 6th grade white kid playing an inner city team for the first time.

When was the last time you've seen a carry called in an NBA game?
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Then watch now.

Then watch now.

Most likely abundance.

When was the last time you've seen a carry called in an NBA game?
    Homie refused to go left.

Turned his back to pressure.

dribbled with his inside hand etc.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club

I heard John Salley interviewed a few years ago. He talked about getting on the team bus after games and seeing 7-8 guys eating McDonald's for their post-game meals.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club
    Still waiting for @RaceBannon to post videos to make an argument for George Mikan