Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Julien Simon, 4* 2021 ATH, Tacoma (Lincoln), WA (Offered 6/22)

Comments

• Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

What it says is the UW coaching staff for the most part doesn't belong in the positions they are in. Jimmy fucked up and is in way over his head. If this class is salvaged it will be a miracle

And he go 0 help from the AD. Zip. Zero. Zilch.
    Because the AD is in over their head as well
    They're apathetic as well
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Said simpler for you idiots ...

We have basically a very green sales staff and we’re sending them out to compete against the best of the best sales teams

Hammer meet nail.

Outside Huff, Malloe, Adams (all of whom whould be just jags on the best recruiting coaching staffs) if your another top team on the West Coast, you love love love love your chances of beating any of the rest of our coaches on staff out on the road and imo it isn't especially hard to do so.

Lake must have wanted to jump into the bleach river when he heard his new OC basically come out and tell the world the thing he missed the least about CFB was recruiting. It's only the most important part of the job and if it's not good enough, ultimatley game over before you ever get off the bus.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2020
    Tequilla said:

Domicillo said:

NEsnake12 said:

Let me play devil’s advocate here:

Thomas Ford is on the UW coaching staff and is probably an assistant in waiting to replace KB, who is only still here because Jen wouldn’t approve the buyouts.

UW’s relationship with FSP isn’t any different. They’re hyping up their guy who committed to a big name school. They aren’t going to be pushing kids away from UW

I have yet to understand what personnel decisions have Pete or Jimmy made in the past 18 months that give so many people the confidence that Timu and Ford were brought on to be future replacements for KB & Gregory. If they did have that level of foresight and it’s only been due to the AD that they haven’t been able to act on it, where has that foresight been in regards to recruiting practices or playing time decisions or other coaching hires (Cato, Donovan, Brown)?

I’d love to believe that Jimmy has these two guys ready to take over, but I don’t see the evidence anywhere to support that level of confidence.

Also if we’re sure these guys are going to be so valuable in turning these positions around in the future, what stops an Oregon or USC from hiring them off your staff before you can even make the change?
    Let's have a flat out reality check right now on our assistant coaches.

Malloe and Huff are fine. If you have a new staff coming in here tomorrow you're good if they stay on staff unless there's a material upgrade. I'd expect any coach coming in would be an idiot to move on from Coach K. So that's 3 coaches that are in good stead.

Boner and Gregory will almost assuredly not have their contracts renewed after they expire this year. That essentially puts them as a "dead man walking" on the recruiting trail. With Gregory in theory it isn't too bad given that the numbers at LB for recruiting this year are basically slim ... but he probably fucked up the one thing he needed to not fuck up (the Washington pipeline). Any shock that we're struggling to recruit at these positions?

If you assume the replacements to Boner and Gregory are Ford and Timu respectively ... let's really think about that. Ford is almost assuredly on staff to help mend the relationship with FSP and Tracy Ford. Obviously Tracy is going to be pimping out his facilities and the training for high school kids thinking that they are going pro. But he's not making the $$$ off them per se (although potentially he gets a kickback when it comes to them training for the NFL Draft and future donations). Where he's making training $$$ is off all those kids that are trying to bump themselves up into kids that are trying to max out their abilities with the hop of getting that scholarship or increasing the caliber of those offers. All the elite 7x7 shit is really just marketing his brand. He's not making money off those kids coming from the families of those kids. As for Timu, he'll be able to sell some NFL experience and Washington pedigree so that's good. Bad news for both is NEITHER have ever recruited at the D-1 level ... I'm not talking not recruiting at like the P12 level or against the big boy elites of the CFB world ... I'm talking D1 football PERIOD. And we have an expectation of them that they are going to go out and IMMEDIATELY win recruiting battles against USC, Oregon, Ohio St, etc.?

I'm fine with the decision to decide that you want to upgrade after last year from Jordan Paopao ... but to replace him with Derham Cato is actually going BACKWARDS. The only time Cato has actually had recruiting responsibilities in his job is when it comes to being at Davidson ... and we're shocked that we're getting blown out in TE recruiting?

We replaced one of our more influential recruiters in Bush Hamden with a guy in John Donovan who has said publicly that he doesn't like recruiting. That's good to know.

These are lessons that we should know simply from the experience of adding Will Harris to staff. At least Harris had some recruiting experience being at San Jose State ... but that might be one of the more difficult jobs to recruit to on the West Coast. Harris is young and very well could turn into a very good coach over the next 10 years. But he's clearly raw and unseasoned in the context of recruiting against big boys. His career progression should have been something like San Jose State --> San Diego State --> Oregon State --> Washington ... but we cut out 2 major growth and prove it steps. What are we expecting when we send Harris out to recruit against seasoned recruiting studs?

We added Terrence Brown to the mix ... another guy that we knew from being an assistant on staff here in the background. Good news is P5 experience at Vandy ... although Vandy is on short list for worst P5 jobs. There's not a ton of west coast ties in recruiting here. So another example of baptism by fire.

And people wonder why I was calling Junior Adams our 3rd best position coach by default?

All of these coaches may very well be good coaches ... but the problem is that there's nothing to suggest that we have good recruiters. And in college football, if you can't recruit you will get fired. Period.

The fatal flaw that Jimmy did in rounding out this staff is that he basically populated it with people he knew. It's now quite clear that he doesn't have a wide net when it comes to a coaching tree. He prioritized young guys that would be hungry recruiters which is great. But he completely undervalued how important relationships and experiences are in trying to sell your program to kids. If you replaced 2 of our assistants with 2 elite recruiters, Malloe/Huff, Adams, and the improvements that Coach K has made, you actually have an ok staff. It's a point that Dennis/Coker/I were debating the merits of yesterday. But not having 2 elite recruiters on staff essentially magnifies the gaps big time. It's forcing Malloe/Huff to probably punch above their weight class. And in all honesty, nobody else on staff is even close to their levels and as a result we're getting blown out constantly right now.

This has the potential to be a powder keg ... I'm not optimistic at what I'm seeing right now.
    Although voluminous, this post by Teq is one of his recent best. It's not a bunch of loquacious, pious bullshit, ie Las Vegas steak houses and "I'm a kick-ass investor" etc.

In other words, read it. He's right fucking on and makes some original points that I haven't heard before, ie Harris jumping two "prove it steps" and the gamble of Ford and Timu supposedly being next in line.

Alas, we're fucked. I knew it when Jimmy retained Bob and hired fucking John "Prank Call" Donovan (who again?) all while Boner posts random shit on his Twitter about kids' bake sales. We're back to Seven-Win Sark territory. Who woulda thought that Meathead Cristoballz would outcoach and outrecruit Jimmy "Walk on Water" Lake. Fuck me.

Whatever. At least we got the Jordan doc.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

I have very mixed feelings on Tracy Ford ... but Tracy Ford isn’t a guy you want to piss off

And let’s be clear ... we hired Thomas Ford to help repair the relationship with FSP

I don't know if mixed feelings is the way to describe it ... Let's be honest here, Tracy Ford is in business ...

If he's purple and gold that's great. But at the end of the day he's a mercenary trainer that happens to be local.

I do think lake and staff do need to "do a better job" sucking his dick and part of that is hiring his brother which is a good move.

But apparently his loyalty to Gregory and bonerpopper is both a blessing (reputation for consistency in staff) and a curse (less than acceptable recruiting or job performance in critical areas)

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    Tequilla said:

We have basically a very green sales staff and we’re sending them out to compete against the best of the best sales teams

Actually, I'd compare Gregory to a special needs adult that is a good worker and spends 12hrs on the job which management loves ... but is so overwhelming poor at people skills or is a big liability that they keep him in the warehouse ... but they keep trying to place into the sales floor (but actually fucks sales and drives customers away...)

Bonerpopper is that sales guy that dresses nice and is fun to be around with ... but is way more concerned with hitting on the desk girl with big boobs than actually being productive at his job ... but he has enough charisma and potential that management keeps him well beyond his best before date because of that untapped potential.

How about those examples?
  • Options

I thought Savell was the most important recruit in the history of the program. That his commitment would change everything. That in state recruits would all go to UW after him.
    LIPO. Not looking good but still.

Cares he's an elite talent. We want that in the progrum.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    animate said:

Tequilla said:

Actually, I'd compare Gregory to a special needs adult that is a good worker and spends 12hrs on the job which management loves ... but is so overwhelming poor at people skills or is a big liability that they keep him in the warehouse ... but they keep trying to place into the sales floor (but actually fucks sales and drives customers away...)

Bonerpopper is that sales guy that dresses nice and is fun to be around with ... but is way more concerned with hitting on the desk girl with big boobs than actually being productive at his job ... but he has enough charisma and potential that management keeps him well beyond his best before date because of that untapped potential.

How about those examples?
    Your two examples make me wonder, why is it that the coaches need to be the recruiters? Is that a rule? Is it just the way things are done? Coaching and sales aren't completely different jobs, they both require nudging people into doing things they wouldn't ordinarily do, but otherwise, they aren't highly correlated skills. As it stands, it seems you need to choose between Coack K, Tosh Lupoi/Ed Orgeron, or a compromise of varying mediocrity at both skills.

The number of humans who are both good coaches and good recruiters is sure to be very small, and those that are elite at both are named Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, perhaps Pete Carroll. So, why make the coach the primary recruiter/sales contact for a player, when it seems like very few coaches enjoy recruiting and a similarly small number are any good at it? Coaches surely need to be somewhat involved in recruiting, but it would seem easier to instead package them as part of the product being sold by an elite salesman. I'm not even convinced this position needs to have a football CV, and thus can be drawn from a much larger labor pool and presumably retained for ~$100-200k. You could keep 1-3 of these guys on staff, and feel more comfortable hiring the coaches out there who make Mike Leach look charming, offloading the bulk of their recruiting duties to the sales team.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

Tequilla said:

Hammer meet nail.

Outside Huff, Malloe, Adams (all of whom whould be just jags on the best recruiting coaching staffs) if your another top team on the West Coast, you love love love love your chances of beating any of the rest of our coaches on staff out on the road and imo it isn't especially hard to do so.

Lake must have wanted to jump into the bleach river when he heard his new OC basically come out and tell the world the thing he missed the least about CFB was recruiting. It's only the most important part of the job and if it's not good enough, ultimatley game over before you ever get off the bus.
    The problem with this is that there is really no excuse for Lake in this ... this should have been part of his vetting process. So either 1) he didn’t ask, 2) Donovan lied to him, or 3) Lake didn’t have any other options
    And for what we are paying Donovan, there were plenty of other options, so that one comes off the board.

We all know JL is a very good/great recruiter with his results as DB coach, and I trust him to be the closer on a kid as HC, but that only works if the Asst. Coach recruiting him has got him close to the finish line. i.e the kid has to see himself coming here 80% of the way. If the potential recruit is only 60% in the boat when he gets to Lake he has no chance.

And right now for 7 out of our 10 coaches, after they leave the house/on zoom the vibe from the parents and kids is "nice, fine, polite, thoughtful, etc". It's not wow, amazing, incredible, what a opportunity, etc.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I thought Savell was the most important recruit in the history of the program. That his commitment would change everything. That in state recruits would all go to UW after him.
    LIPO. Not looking good but still.

Cares he's an elite talent. We want that in the progrum.
    Literally no one has said we don’t want him in tgr program.

There’s a huge gap between “most important recruit ever” overhype and “I don’t want that guy”.

He was a very important recruit. We had to get him.

There are many recruits more important.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Who was that other WA kid that committed to Trojans that was in the transfer portal not even playing one down
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    FireCohen said:

Who was that other WA kid that committed to Trojans that was in the transfer portal not even playing one down

Trey Davis, Federal Way. He's a coug now.
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Lots of angsty TBSers who can't read a weather report and notice how awfully warm it is.

Granted our coaching staff does appear to suck. But we? fall on our dicks every spring, yet put it all back together when it matters. LIPO.

Especially you @backthepack, you wildly emotional adolescent. Nine months ago the football team was natty bound with Kevin Durant 2.0 ready to take us to the Final Four. Now apparently we're destined for the eternal misery of 6-6. Take a few bars of Xanax, or whatever you Gen Z'ers OD on these days, and chill the fuck out.

thats what USC thought last year when they signed one of the shittiest classes in their program's history
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    pat_hm said:

FireCohen said:

Trey Davis, Federal Way. He's a coug now.
    stay
  • Options

Lots of angsty TBSers who can't read a weather report and notice how awfully warm it is.

Granted our coaching staff does appear to suck. But we? fall on our dicks every spring, yet put it all back together when it matters. LIPO.

Especially you @backthepack, you wildly emotional adolescent. Nine months ago the football team was natty bound with Kevin Durant 2.0 ready to take us to the Final Four. Now apparently we're destined for the eternal misery of 6-6. Take a few bars of Xanax, or whatever you Gen Z'ers OD on these days, and chill the fuck out.

I like to deal in extremes it's what I like to do.