Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Philip Riley, 2021 4* DB, Valrico (Bloomingdale), FL (Offered)

Comments

• insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Latest article on Riley says he was about to commit (everyone assumed to Virginia Tech), but didnt pull the trigger and says he wants to slow things down and take his visits to UW, Oregon Notre Dame, and Va Tech.

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

CB from Loy to ND. You know what that means.

Picked up like 5 more. Hopefully we didnt push away Ortiz because we thought we were grtyingbthis guy
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

For posterity, here is what he said in the interview he did with Lou two days ago:

Notre Dame: “Top-notch academics and football. I have a great relationship with coach Lea, the defensive coordinator, coach Mickens, the cornerbacks coach, and coach Kelly, the head coach. I actually got on the phone with all three this week, and with my parents. It's just a great relationship. Top-notch education. You can get top-notch education and great football as well."

Washington: "It's a great school for defensive backs. Coach Lake was the defensive coordinator and a DB himself, so having him as the head coach, it's a great fit for DBs. Coach Harris is a great coach and a great guy. I love getting on the phone with him. I also played 7-on-7 with FSP and that's like a pipeline to 'U-Dub.' Coach Ford's brother coaches at U-Dub and I have a great relationship with him. It's a great connection in general."

Jeff Sweet Lou Carr?
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

CB from Loy to ND. You know what that means.

Picked up like 5 more. Hopefully we didnt push away Ortiz because we thought we were grtyingbthis guy
    You ok?
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Committed to Notre Dame today. Jimmy’s losing his touch
  • FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Get Ortiz to flip, get Burke to commit and you're fine. Anything less is abysmal.
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465

NEsnake12 said:

Jimmy's the HC, and ultimately in charge, but our DB coach (I cant even remember his name) has been absolute dogshit at recruiting
    Will Harris hasn't done anything besides be banished to Texas
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

NEsnake12 said:

Jimmy's the HC, and ultimately in charge, but our DB coach (I cant even remember his name) has been absolute dogshit at recruiting
    Harris is getting to be a concern. I dont have any reason to be high on his coaching, and so far his recruiting hasn't impressed at all.
    It's funny. Our previous 3 coaching hires were a "shlubby white guy", a "sleepy, boring Appalacian State reject", and a young African American guy from LA who is present on social media. 2 of those guys recruited lights out last year and one has been a recruiting disaster.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Jimmy is having a hard time relating to kids as the man in charge lol
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    FireCohen said:

Jimmy is proving that he isn't ready for this. He was left keys to a damn nice car and he doesn't know how to turn the engine on. I'm really starting to believe he wont be the HC more than 3 years
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

FireCohen said:

Jimmy is proving that he isn't ready for this. He was left keys to a damn nice car and he doesn't know how to turn the engine on. I'm really starting to believe he wont be the HC more than 3 years
    I mean, either that, or you know. Our team lost to Oregon, Utah, Stanford, Cal, Colorado...... with an all world big dick qb, a 4.3 running back, an all world tight end, 1st team all world LT.

Everyone is so quick to blame Jimmy, but does anyone really think these kids are going to look at us as a winner? Losses in all of our big national stage games...

Reality is, winning brings the best recruits more than recruiters.
    I can roll with this. Just slightly rephrasing your last sentence.

I think winning makes ok recruiters look good and great recruiters look all world level.

*You do have a small % that just close regardless of location or state of the program.

So the flip side of that is where we are currently sitting with this class.

Sure, things change; can’t handle the ups and downs, etc BUT earlier returns are no bueno.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

FireCohen said:

I mean, either that, or you know. Our team lost to Oregon, Utah, Stanford, Cal, Colorado...... with an all world big dick qb, a 4.3 running back, an all world tight end, 1st team all world LT.

Everyone is so quick to blame Jimmy, but does anyone really think these kids are going to look at us as a winner? Losses in all of our big national stage games...

Winning isn't the only factor. Aside from last year USC has typically recruited great regardless of on field results. UCLA prior to the Chipster did too but to a slightly lesser degree. I'll always remember how a very mediocre Cal jumped way up in the recruiting rankings with Tedford before they stagnated and were forgotten (also lost Tosh.0). Finally Oregon has shown it over and over recently. Slick Willie had an amazing class going before he bolted. Crystalballz started killing it when the Ducks were still Redbox bowl caliber.

Winning helps a shit ton, but an ace recruiting staff doesnt need it.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

FireCohen said:

Winning isn't the only factor. Aside from last year USC has typically recruited great regardless of on field results. UCLA prior to the Chipster did too but to a slightly lesser degree. I'll always remember how a very mediocre Cal jumped way up in the recruiting rankings with Tedford before they stagnated and were forgotten (also lost Tosh.0). Finally Oregon has shown it over and over recently. Slick Willie had an amazing class going before he bolted. Crystalballz started killing it when the Ducks were still Redbox bowl caliber.

Winning helps a shit ton, but an ace recruiting staff doesnt need it.
    Case and point dontrel Williams (I think that’s the dude from whoregon and I bet he’s a lead recruiter on more then just his position). He’s making it cool and sexy to be a Trojan again cause clay sure as shit isn’t the reason they are closing again IMO.