Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Home schooling is dangerous

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited April 2020 in Tug Tavern
Kids will need to go to gulags later in life if they don't go to the leftist indoctrination centers earlier.

https://harvardmagazine.com/2020/05/right-now-risks-homeschooling

All the smart Jane Jacobs readers say so.

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Only took a couple of paragraphs for them to refer to this as "child abuse".

"Children should “grow up exposed to...democratic values, ideas about nondiscrimination and tolerance of other people's viewpoints.”

Yes, because that's not possible while being home schooled.

That statement is so ironic. They don't like the fact that others have different world views and need to squash those ASAP. But are concerned kids won't be exposed to others view points.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was home schooled. Then I went to first grade knowing how to READ A BOOK and do my numbers

Why not both?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was home schooled. Then I went to first grade knowing how to READ A BOOK and do my numbers

Why not both?

Jane Jacobs though? Faux intellectuals like that one.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,021
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Scratch a leftist, find a fascist. Leftards also lie and love to be lied to. I know lots of home schoolers. There is some religious or common sense motivation. They don't want first graders subject to the glories of transgenderism, the superiority of having two mommies and subject to the lack of discipline and social and physical abuse in the public school system and teaching to the lowest common denominator approach. Not a lot of TV in those households. Lots of reading and maff.

https://www.city-journal.org/harvard-conference-purported-dangers-of-homeschooling

She presents one study to support her concern about academic outcomes, noting that “methodologically sound studies of the more successful subsets of homeschoolers also reveal problems. One found that while overall the homeschoolers who took standardized tests did slightly better than public schoolers, there was a huge divergence between homeschoolers receiving structured as versus unstructured home education. Those receiving unstructured education, as many homeschoolers do, scored significantly lower than public schoolers.”

Bartholet is distorting the study’s conclusions, to put it politely. The researchers found that the two-thirds of homeschooled students in their sample who received a structured curriculum did dramatically better than public school students. Unstructured homeschool student performance was either slightly below or statistically indistinguishable from that of public school students, depending on the analytic methodology employed. Most policy analysts would see these findings as demonstrating the remarkable success of homeschooling. It would require extraordinary confirmation bias to read these findings as evidence that homeschooling should be banned.

Bartholet’s article does point out that the lack of regulation of homeschooling enables some terrible parents to hide their child abuse from authorities. How many? She has no clue. And given that safety is a motivating factor for about 80 percent of homeschooling parents, she has no way of knowing whether a ban would decrease or increase the sum total of child suffering.