Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bob Gregory isn't entirely sure what happened to the inside linebackers ...

animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/washington-inside-linebackers-ready-to-bounce-back

"We didn't play well," linebackers coach Bob Gregory said while meeting with reporters on a Wednesday conference call. "I don't know if it was one thing I can point to."

He doesn't know if it's one thing he can point to?

Riiiight Bobby.

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    i Got to 2 reasons. He can’t coach or recruit
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "You don't want to burn a kid's year to be on just kickoffs," Gregory said. "You want to make sure a kid can contribute. It's a tricky situation."

So Bob has been coaching for how long and he learned that lesson with BBK? Why Jimmy, Why?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    animate said:

https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/washington-inside-linebackers-ready-to-bounce-back

"We didn't play well," linebackers coach Bob Gregory said while meeting with reporters on a Wednesday conference call. "I don't know if it was one thing I can point to."

He doesn't know if it's one thing he can point to?

Riiiight Bobby.

He's right. TWO things - both thumbs pointing right back at himself.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

"You don't want to burn a kid's year to be on just kickoffs," Gregory said. "You want to make sure a kid can contribute. It's a tricky situation."

So Bob has been coaching for how long and he learned that lesson with BBK? Why Jimmy, Why?

BBK wasn’t just on kickoffs. He was the top reserve LB from the middle of the season on. He started vs Oregon. That said, it definitely would have been nice if he had redshirted.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

BBK wasn’t just on kickoffs. He was the top reserve LB from the middle of the season on. He started vs Oregon. That said, it definitely would have been nice if he had redshirted.
    That was his sophomore year. Lawyer and Constantine were above BBK in the pecking order BBK's freshman year. I don't think he started against Oregon, but he did come in sometime in middle of the game, made a few tackles, and looked really fast and good. His sophomore year, he was second reserve, behind Beavers (who replaced Azeem), and gave up a bad TD at Oregon--although 70-21 was already in progress.

BBK's freshman year was almost entirely special teams, with a series here and there in a couple of games.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

That was his sophomore year. Lawyer and Constantine were above BBK in the pecking order BBK's freshman year. I don't think he started against Oregon, but he did come in sometime in middle of the game, made a few tackles, and looked really fast and good. His sophomore year, he was second reserve, behind Beavers (who replaced Azeem), and gave up a bad TD at Oregon--although 70-21 was already in progress.

BBK's freshman year was almost entirely special teams, with a series here and there in a couple of games.
    No. He started bs Oregon. From that point on he was first LB off the bench ahead of Lawyer and Constantine. 2016 is his sophomore year.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

No. He started bs Oregon. From that point on he was first LB off the bench ahead of Lawyer and Constantine. 2016 is his sophomore year.

You're looking at the first play from scrimmage, Oregon at Washington, 2015. It's on YouTube. On the left is 47, Scott Lawyer. On the right is 7, Keishawn Bierria.

Second play from scrimmage, Lawyer makes a nice play for no gain, Bierria gets hurt.

Third play from scrimmage, and for the rest of the series, Lawyer and Constantine are the linebackers.

Second series, Bierria is back, and it's Bierria and Lawyer. BBK makes his first appearance after Lawyer runs himself out of position, about 10:00 into the game.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Also, for what it's worth, the next game was at Stanford (Magna Carta's Opus). First series: Victor/Lawyer. Second series: Victor/Lawyer. Third series: Victor/Bierria. Fourth series: Lawyer/BBK.

Soooo...
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Take this comportment to the higher level discussion board where it belongs.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    FireCohen said:

Yeah our LBs were trash in 15 16 17 and 18

You guys are fucking morons 99% of the time
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

did you forget 19? also we had like one of the best DL in the nation in 2016 and vita was just an absolute monster in 17
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited April 2020
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

did you forget 19? also we had like one of the best DL in the nation in 2016 and vita was just an absolute monster in 17
    No becuase 19 wasnt a good year. Christ.

One down year and a bunch of stellar years = trash coach on here

By that logic no coach in America is good enough for the prestigious football mecca that is the University of Washington

Bunch of delusional tards. If the LBs suck next year can his ass, but one down year with new starters does not mean a coach sucks
  • Options
    LostDoogRewardLostDoogReward Member Posts: 62
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

By that logic no coach in America is good enough for the prestigious football mecca that is the University of Washington

Bunch of delusional tards. If the LBs suck next year can his ass, but one down year with new starters does not mean a coach sucks
    Hey, I'm not delusional!

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Year 6. We started Kyler Manu. The end.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Year 6. We started Kyler Manu. The end.
    And recruited Cooper Mcdonald and Carson Bruener as our ILB's

Also year five we played BBK and had to move Tevis to OLB 95% of the snaps the entire year b/c we had no one else to play.

But yea, were just fine with Gregory there, enough so that Pete was going to let him go last year had he stayed on.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Imagine propping up Bob Gregory.

Four years of Bob's tutelage did wonders for Wellington and Manu. Bierria regressed his senior year. Victor fell off a cliff. All Bob has is BBK. He's a fucking black hole in recruiting and a below average coach.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I would say he took lightly recruited DJ Beavers and made him look legit against Bama. Then there's BBK. I don't think Bierria regressed his senior year, he just gained too much weight and wasn't playing next to Victor anymore. They were asking him to do too much.

What Gregory has lacked--and it's fair to say this is at least mostly his own fault--is useful clay to mold. Victor was an NFL linebacker while healthy and in shape, and he was a fucking beast under Gregory. Bierria and BBK, to a lesser extent (speaking potential here), were NFL linebackers, and they were great under Gregory. I think if Beavers had stayed healthy his whole career, there was all-conference and NFL potential, and I think losing that one player to retirement fucked the team in 2019 more than any other single factor*. Who else has he had to work with that would even get a sniff from the NFL? Physically, Wellington was fast enough, a whole bunch of others were big enough, Eifler was fast and big enough but too dumb, and that's it.

*Having the roster in a state that losing one player to retirement fucks you is not a good thing, and definitely on Gregory, so this is merely a halfhearted defense of his coaching and definitely not of his overall performance.

If what comes from Kwiatkowski and Petersen is to be believed, Gregory has had major influence in defensive design and game-planning. In all but 2019, that's a recent run of being very involved in planning the best defense in the conference. I don't think he's useless as a coach at all, and any evidence to the contrary is anecdotal. His recruiting, however, has clearly hurt the program. Give Gregory more Victors, Bierrias, and Beaverses, and BBKs, and we're all licking Gregory's balls right now. Ifs and buts, yadda yadda yadda.

TL;DR: He can coach, and people well qualified to assess such have said so multiple times. Recruits for shit, compounded by missing on a few evaluations and having poor injury luck, and it hurts.