Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ESPN Releases Top 10 ‘Running Back U’ Programs - Oregon makes the list but UW doesn't

Comments

• BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    ESPN likes to hang off of Oregon's sack. The Nike effect.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,594 Standard Supporter
    Not just Nike, but the fact that the Oregon mascot is literally a Disney character arranged through a special licensing agreement.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    It also dates to the dawn of the BCS era, so Huge McEllemacphereon doesn’t count. My? Bigger beef was this.

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    Who are UW’s top 3 QBs and RBs during the BCS/CFP era (‘99-present)?

I’ve got Tuiasosopo-Pickett-Price, Gaskin-Polk-Sankey.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Any top 3 QB list without Jack H Lockner can LEAVE!!1!
    Only Jake I even considered was Skinny.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,961
    edited April 2020
    What's the criteria? First it's BCS era, then the retard trying to suck off USC and Georgia brings in "all time" guys. Herschel Walker and OJ Simpson are well pre-BCS.

Normally, _______________ U discussions center around who was good in college AND the NFL, with a focus on the latter.

As such, Wisky falls off. Historically their backs don't translate to the NFL.

When was the last time USC produced a great, or even productive, NFL back? They've had a few in the BCS era who were good in college, but not at the next level. SC hasn't produced a great NFL running back since Marcus Allen. Reggie Bush and Lendale White were complete NFL busts; White was a massive bust. For all hype of Pete's recruiting during their run, there is a lot of show and not a lot of go. Even the all-time list of Heisman tailbacks isn't so shiny when you consider NFL careers. Anthony Davis, Ricky Bell and Charles White didn't do shit in the NFL. Garrett had a respectable, but hardly noteworthy, NFL run. They really benefit from the shine of OJ, Allen and Giff.

If it's BCS-forward era, Miami should be higher on the list. I'm open to other arguments, but I'm struggling to find a school that was as productive as Miami during that defined time: Edgerinn James, Clinton Portis, Lamar Miller, Frank Gore & Willis McGahee. Duke Johnson isn't a full time guy, but gets carries and passes thrown his way.

If it's all-time, that changes things a bit. Florida gets into the conversation with guys like Emitt Smith, John L Williams, Neal Anderson, Fred Taylor and Eric Rhett, all of whom were pro bowl level players in the NFL.

ESPN likes to hang off of Oregon's sack. The Nike effect.

What's the argument though?

As such, Wisky falls off. Historically their backs don't translate to the NFL.

Weird, right? Wisco backs never seem as great when running behind a different line.

OLU
    I’m amused, but not at all surprised, that ESPN managed to omit Stanford (McCaffrey-Gerhart-Love) from their RB list. The Tree trio is arguably #1.
  • WillyRBeekWillyRBeek Member Posts: 133
    The only way I can even somewhat justify these rankings, is if they're doing them solely off of how they played in college. If they're factoring in the NFL, these are completely out to lunch.

For the QB rankings, the player listed from a school in the Top 5 that actually had a good career was Palmer, but even he didn't really live up to expectations.

Oregon at 3 is laughable, and Texas at #4 is even worse. Between the 2 there isn't a single QB that had a good NFL career, although obviously Herbert still has a chance to change that.

The RB list isn't as bad, except for the fact that Miami is the undisputed #1, and that Georgia should probably be in the Top 3.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter
    ESPN sucks - they love flash and then more flash. but not the pac-11 (everyone other than the ducks)
    LebamDawg said:

ESPN sucks - they love flash and then more flash. but not the pac-11 (everyone other than the ducks)

They're usually pretty friendly to USC too, but that aside, you're right.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    UW has dillon, polk, Sankey, mmfg.

Oregon has
    haie said:

Oregon has

If they're going off of NFL production, Dillon alone puts UW over most of the teams on that list. He was the best RB in the league for a number of years in the late 90's/early 2000's
    haie said:

Oregon has

Stewart, Blount, & James
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183

haie said:

Oregon has

Stewart, Blount, & James
    Why do people always forget Bongterrio?

haie said:

Oregon has

Stewart, Blount, & James
    Why do people always forget Bongterrio?
    Fair. If we're going to list Polk and Sankey, Smith makes the list.

haie said:

Oregon has

If they're going off of NFL production, Dillon alone puts UW over most of the teams on that list. He was the best RB in the league for a number of years in the late 90's/early 2000's
    Well, Dillon would be alone because polk and sankey did nothing. Gaskin hasn't had a chance yet, so jury is out. If you count him, I guess you have to count Freeman for Oregon, since he gets carries in Denver.