Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Should businesses & citizens

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,611
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
Standard Supporter
Plan for future events that put them in situation where they have to get by for a minimum of three months with no revenue or income?

Is that a good or bad idea?

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,605
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

jecornel said:

Plan for future events that put them in situation where they have to get by for a minimum of three months with no revenue or income?

It's been conventional financial planning wisdom for decades to have six months of emergency funds set aside to cover living expenses.

Instead, newest version of iPhone, every Cable channel under the sun, pinot and pallet painting parties, cigarettes, getaway weekends with the girlfriends, gymnastic lessons,.....whatever the fuck else people spend their money on instead of having a savings account.

If Kim Kardashian doesn't have one I don't want one
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    SFGbob said:

For many people most of their savings are in their 401Ks. Why not allow for penalty free withdrawals in these kind of emergencies?

This is a good idea.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,932
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2020
    SFGbob said:

For many people most of their savings are in their 401Ks. Why not allow for penalty free withdrawals in these kind of emergencies?

I would suggest a penalty free loan instead with a specified payback time. Otherwise, you're just kicking the can down the road. The term could be based on the 401K participants age vs. retirement age. So if I'm 64, I would have been drawing on that 401K in a year or so - I get a year or some multiple thereof to pay it back. If I'm 50 and a dumbfuck who didn't save, I can take a loan from the 401k but I have 15 years to pay it back (so I'm not behind the 8 ball down the road and poor when it comes time to retire - replenishing it systematically so to speak).

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

jecornel said:

It's been conventional financial planning wisdom for decades to have six months of emergency funds set aside to cover living expenses.

Instead, newest version of iPhone, every Cable channel under the sun, pinot and pallet painting parties, cigarettes, getaway weekends with the girlfriends, gymnastic lessons,.....whatever the fuck else people spend their money on instead of having a savings account.

We've always made is a goal to have a minimum of 6 months net combined take home pay in the bank. I get that this isn't realistic for everyone's circumstance but the who thing about the average household having less that $1000 in savings if beyond FS.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

Because privatized retirement savings and investments aren't equal to government pigs.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,276
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    SFGbob said:

There are some exceptions already, but I agree this should be made explicit and simple in light of circumstances.