Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Marinerization is alive and well

Valuation of Mariners continues to skyrocket while team’s payroll remains steady

By Geoff Baker
Times staff reporter

MOST POPULAR COMMENTS
Join the conversation >
Read all 0 comments Post a comment
Inside sports business

The enthusiasm that accompanies every young baseball season helped the Mariners attract some larger-than-usual crowds last week.

It was a welcomed reminder of what a filled Safeco Field feels like, given the team lately hasn’t been much of a draw. Fan interest and trust had eroded amid slashed payrolls and losing seasons.

And yet, despite those struggles, the Mariners today find themselves in the best financial shape of their 37-year history.

Their value keeps growing, while revenue skyrockets from new local and national television deals. Even with long-term commitments of $240 million to Robinson Cano and $175 million to Felix Hernandez, the team’s moneymaking shows no signs of slowing.

Given all that, it’s fair to ask whether the Mariners can afford a payroll much higher than their current $92 million.

They’ve cooled since a surprising start, which initially helped them avoid deeper scrutiny. Injuries and spending limits have created issues in the rotation, outfield, designated hitter and elsewhere that now are becoming more glaring.

Unlike the thriftier Oakland Athletics, the Mariners enjoy ballpark and television infrastructures similar to big-payroll division rivals like the $155-million-payroll Angels and $136 million Rangers. Despite prolonged losing, the Mariners likely doubled their franchise value the past five years and might already have joined baseball’s billion-dollar clubs.

They just don’t spend like them.

The Mariners’ growth coincides with a Major League Baseball revenue jump from $1 billion to $8 billion the past 20 years.

It initially came from new ballparks, like Safeco Field, where taxpayers funded most construction costs while teams kept most revenues. More recently, regional sports network (RSN) deals have given teams unprecedented local television rights fees for games where advertisers know viewers still would rather watch live instead of recording.

Some teams, like the Mariners, acquired their own RSN to directly pocket premium TV ad money and carriage fees. Their reported 71 percent acquisition of ROOT Sports NW last April also lets them potentially shield some TV income from MLB revenue sharing by declaring it part of a separate network business.

Forbes reported the deal at $2.5 billion over 18 years, saying the Mariners doubled previously estimated local TV rights fees to an average $103 million annually. New national TV deals also give each team approximately $25 million more annually, funding mega-contracts for Cano, Hernandez, Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols, Clayton Kershaw, Prince Fielder and others.

Oh, yes, teams can afford them.

Even with Cano and Hernandez, Seattle’s payroll climbed only modestly from the $84 million of last year. It’s less than they opened 2011 with and is dwarfed by their 2008 high of $117 million.

It’s worth noting that, right after 2008, Forbes valued the Mariners at $426 million. But in its latest valuations last month, Forbes put them at $710 million.

The Mariners likely are worth even more, because yearly Forbes valuations don’t include team-held RSN stakes like ROOT.

Bloomberg began its own team valuations last October and did include TV stakes. It valued the average team-held RSN stake at $360 million and — not surprisingly — listed 10 clubs worth $1 billion or more, compared to only five named by Forbes.

The Mariners have long dismissed such valuations as guesswork. But recent sales of the Dodgers, Astros and Padres suggest previous Forbes estimates actually undervalued teams — a disparity Bloomberg’s new methodology attempts to address.

Bloomberg didn’t include the Mariners as a billion-dollar team — putting them at $720 million — because calculations were based on figures from 2012, before the ROOT acquisition.

“If the Mariners were to hit the open market, they could get a billion dollars,’’ said Maury Brown, founder of the Portland-based Biz of Baseball website and a frequent Forbes contributor.

A $1 billion valuation would be tenfold the $100 million paid for the team in 1992 by current owners.

Besides the RSN stake, Brown says the Mariners boosted value by eliminating debt.

They let multiyear deals expire on Ichiro, Chone Figgins, Adrian Beltre, Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn, Miguel Batista and Kenji Johjima, replacing them with cheaper prospects and journeymen. The Mariners kept losing, but spent less doing it and pared other debt in the process.

They also finalized their RSN deal, then waited for the cash to roll in.

“From a flexibility standpoint,’’ Brown said, “the Mariners are in a financial position where if they have a need and free agency can fill that, there should be no limits on them.’’

As staggering as $415 million for Cano and Hernandez seems, it’s barely altered payroll dynamics.

Two seasons ago, the Mariners spent $47 million on franchise faces Hernandez and Ichiro and overpriced utility player Figgins. This season, they’ll spend $49 million on Cano and Hernandez and utility man Willie Bloomquist.

In other words, they’ve swapped a declining Ichiro for Cano, maintained talent levels at the other two spots and costs barely budged.

Bigger payrolls don’t guarantee winning. But right now, Cano and Hernandez could use a deeper supporting cast. Over 162 games, quality depth can separate true contenders from sub-.500 teams.

This is, after all, a cash-drunk sport with only a vague notion of its financial ceiling. And these increasingly valuable Mariners, even with Cano and Hernandez, still can’t spot their ceiling with a telescope.

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2023376365_baker15xml.html

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I don't think the problem is that the team's cheap. They sucked when they were one of the ten highest payrolls too, and most of their high priced acquisitions have been bad to awful (Cirillo, Sexson, Silva, Figgins, Bedard).

The problem is that they have done a terrible job of evaluating who to give money too, and which of their young players to keep.

Spending an extra $50 million a year isn't going to fix that.

They need to fire me, fire you, fire everybody.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    That article used too big of words for 90% of Mariner fans ...

DNC is right that they've done a terrible job of spending money when they've decided to spend it ...

But at the same time, this is a division that is available for the taking and there is enough there to get this team into the chase. The question is what will they do when you get to June/July and they realize that they are still in the race.

My guess is that they'll make a minor move or two to try to improve the pen and be content with an over .500 season and claiming that they exceeded expectations.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I don't think the problem is that the team's cheap. They sucked when they were one of the ten highest payrolls too, and most of their high priced acquisitions have been bad to awful (Cirillo, Sexson, Silva, Figgins, Bedard).

The problem is that they have done a terrible job of evaluating who to give money too, and which of their young players to keep.

I think being cheap is true, but the lack of development and shrewd deals is what kills them. The A's and Rays sign guys for cheap and they fill needs and produce. Even with all the fucktarded trades and lack of player development, it would be pretty easy to improve the team spending 30 more million.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dnc said:

They don't need to go out and spend big money on a gazillions different free agents, but they do need to spend some money on depth. Getting McCann and ellabury and Beltran is not in this team's best interest but they could've spent another 8-10 million on the bullpen plus another 8 million on a corner outfielder. Spending more money is how you fill holes, not everyone can be the a's and rays
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

dnc said:

They don't need to go out and spend big money on a gazillions different free agents, but they do need to spend some money on depth. Getting McCann and ellabury and Beltran is not in this team's best interest but they could've spent another 8-10 million on the bullpen plus another 8 million on a corner outfielder. Spending more money is how you fill holes, not everyone can be the a's and rays
    Beltran is a corner outfielder. He wouldn't have came here, but he would have been a great signing. That would have been a huge pickup to have a guy who will hit at least .280 with 20-30 HR's instead of Saunders or Almonte.
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

dnc said:

$8-10 million more on the bullpen? They had a solid closer at the end of the year (Farquhar) then went and signed a closer anyway to strengthen the pen. With a strong closer and setup man now in place, I just don't see who they could have given $8-10 million to that would have made the 'pen markedly better.

If you're advocating for spending another $18 million I would put that all towards a real corner outfielder who can hit and play defense and maybe a better DH.

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    They barely get 10k people to come watch and they are still profitable. These owners would make Jerry Jones proud.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dhdawg said:

dnc said:

$8-10 million more on the bullpen? They had a solid closer at the end of the year (Farquhar) then went and signed a closer anyway to strengthen the pen. With a strong closer and setup man now in place, I just don't see who they could have given $8-10 million to that would have made the 'pen markedly better.

If you're advocating for spending another $18 million I would put that all towards a real corner outfielder who can hit and play defense and maybe a better DH.

Look at what Oakland dic, they got abad, and gregerson and didn't spend that much (Johnson was the mistake) we needed a LH reliever cause furbush is not a #1 LH RP, spending an extra 5 million on say Boone Logan would have helped. As for corner OFers I son 't know if there were many out there. Nate mclouth and David dejesus both signed relatively cheap but I don't know much about either defensively.
  • Options
    And neither are all that great offensively
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    This team still has wayyy too much dead weight. Pitching looks to be pretty good from top to bottom, but the hitting is still way too inconsistent. They have explosive 6-8 run innings but then don't score for 20 more. Good baseball teams score 1-3 consistently over a game.

I am not sure how many of the young hitters are going to be big pieces. I think Zunino might be the best out of them all. Brad Miller looks ok sometimes but he is too aggressive sometimes and will swing at 3 straight balls. Smoak is too inconsistent. Saunders, Romero, Hart, and Morrison all suck. Ackley might be coming around. Seager is slumping.

This team won't make the playoffs this year but if they grow some balls and pay some right handed hitters next year they could start to be a playoff team.

tl;dr - I just wrote way too much about baseball, especially the fucking Mariners. Fuck Ken Griffey Jr. for making me a fan.
  • Options
    Jim Johnson won't end up being a mistake for Oakland. He had a bad week or so that happened to be at the start of the season so it got magnified. Almost every closer not named Mariano Rivera (GOAT) goes through that every year.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Jim Johnson won't end up being a mistake for Oakland. He had a bad week or so that happened to be at the start of the season so it got magnified. Almost every closer not named Mariano Rivera (GOAT) goes through that every year.

We'll agree to disagree, they are paying him 10 million and even though he was still good he wasn't 10 million dollar great last year
  • Options
    You could argue that the A's could have kept Grant Balfour for roughly the same cost but they decided they didn't want to extend a qualifying offer for whatever reason. They ended up trading really nothing of value for Johnson for what will turn into 2 years of club control and potential draft pick compensation as a result.

I've learned over the years to not criticize moves made by Billy Beane ... I trust he knows more than me.
  • Options
    he isn't perfect, they could've promoted from within and used the 10 million elsewhere. Everyone makes mistakes, even Billy Beane
  • Options
    They could have ...

But I tend to be of the opinion that I'd rather have an experienced closer than not. Closing games at the Major League level is a high pressure environment ... and let's be honest, not everybody reacts well to pressure.
  • Options
    closers are like running backs, they're good one year and fall apart the next (outside fo a select few) I'll stay cheap and promote from within
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Paying big money for closers is stupid. Paying big money for closers who aren't big strikeout pitchers is fucktarded.

Jim Johnson the last two years has posted WAR's of 2.5 and 1.4. Yorvis Medina for an example had a 1.9 WAR last year. You are probably asking who? Exactly.

A's would have been better off using that 8-10 million on hitters.

The Mariners problem is developing talent from within not money. They have had just one positional player reach an all-star game who was home grown since 2000. That player was Jose Lopez.

Outside of Felix they haven't developed worth a shit. Go look at their drafts from 1997-2011 it's a fucking dreckfest. The few good players who were selected flourished elsewhere like Adam Jones.

The Mariners should have spent some money to upgrade the OF. Once you paid Cano you have committed to putting a good product on the field so you can't go into a season with Ackley, Almonte and Saunders/Morrison as your OF's with Romero getting a ton of AB's you just can't.
  • Options

Paying big money for closers is stupid. Paying big money for closers who aren't big strikeout pitchers is fucktarded.

Jim Johnson the last two years has posted WAR's of 2.5 and 1.4. Yorvis Medina for an example had a 1.9 WAR last year. You are probably asking who? Exactly.

A's would have been better off using that 8-10 million on hitters.

The Mariners problem is developing talent from within not money. They have had just one positional player reach an all-star game who was home grown since 2000. That player was Jose Lopez.

Outside of Felix they haven't developed worth a shit. Go look at their drafts from 1997-2011 it's a fucking dreckfest. The few good players who were selected flourished elsewhere like Adam Jones.

The Mariners should have spent some money to upgrade the OF. Once you paid Cano you have committed to putting a good product on the field so you can't go into a season with Ackley, Almonte and Saunders/Morrison as your OF's with Romero getting a ton of AB's you just can't.

case closed