Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• LongDukDongLongDukDong Member Posts: 1,206
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    I want to suck those tiggos
  • Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,286
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    The last time anyone with the last name of Coffey was brought up in the same conversation as the Washington Huskies, it was a tailback out of the state of Texas by the name of Junior Coffey.

And that was back in the late 60’s.

“If we’re related, I haven’t heard about it yet”, Kennedale, Texas safety, JD Coffey III laughed when he spoke with Realdawg.com over the weekend.

The Huskies offered Coffey in January and this is one offer he is very intrigued about.

“Coach Harris and Coach Brown are the coaches recruiting me”, the 6-0, 185 lb. prospect reported, “The one thing I like (about Washington) is that they produce DB’s in the NFL.”

Coffey is definitely a guy who could be classified as an athlete, overall. He plays offense (QB), he plays defense, and he’s able to help out his team whenever they need him on either side of the ball — but safety is his calling for the next level.

“I know football”, he said of his strengths in the game, “I know the game and what it takes to control the field.”

Having played quarterback, this is one defensive back who can sniff out offensive schemes and read QB tendencies in his sleep and put himself wherever the play is going in that last level of defense on the field, “I like to think that I’m a ball hawk”, he added, “If the ball is in the air, it’s mine.”

Coffey is a very athletic, tenacious player who is strong in zone or man; he wraps up well and hits like a ton of bricks. Last season he recorded 82 tackles and two picks, so he’s just a physical player who possesses all the attributes you want in a smash-mouth safety.

“I definitely plan to go up there (Seattle) in the spring”, Coffey said, “My plan is to narrow things down to a top five or six soon, like within the next month or so, and then commit before the season.”

(Pretty sure he's only visiting us because he was already planning on visiting Oregon)
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Going to be special when the first recruit gets coronavirus and everyone negative recruits the hell out of us
    The chances of a healthy 17 year old getting coronavirus are pretty damn low.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Going to be special when the first recruit gets coronavirus and everyone negative recruits the hell out of us
    Right, first.

But a built-in excuse not to let them leave.

dnc said:

The chances of a healthy 17 year old experiencing severe symptoms are low but I think the chances of him contracting the virus is the same as anybody's. My concern isn't necessarily about him getting seriously ill, it's more because the optics of the headline "UW recruit contracts coronavirus on campus visit" could seriously fuck us over.
    But it's not the same as anybody else's. As a healthy 17 year old he's not going to spend much time around unhealthy 70 year olds. By nature of the population he's a part of he's less likely to be exposed to someone who has the virus and if he is exposed that individual is less likely to do a lot of coughing and sneezing that make it more likely that they spread the virus.

Coming to UW on a recruiting trip is a lot different for your chances of infection than visiting grandma in Kirkland.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2020
    dnc said:

dnc said:

The chances of a healthy 17 year old experiencing severe symptoms are low but I think the chances of him contracting the virus is the same as anybody's. My concern isn't necessarily about him getting seriously ill, it's more because the optics of the headline "UW recruit contracts coronavirus on campus visit" could seriously fuck us over.
    But it's not the same as anybody else's. As a healthy 17 year old he's not going to spend much time around unhealthy 70 year olds. By nature of the population he's a part of he's less likely to be exposed to someone who has the virus and if he is exposed that individual is less likely to do a lot of coughing and sneezing that make it more likely that they spread the virus.

Coming to UW on a recruiting trip is a lot different for your chances of infection than visiting grandma in Kirkland.
    What is this based on? I don't think healthy young people are any less likely to contract the virus and become infectious than unhealthy old people. Probably the scariest vector was the kid in Everett who was tested and returned to school before his test came back positive.

Emoterman said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

What is this based on? I don't think healthy young people are any less likely to contract the virus and become infectious than unhealthy old people. Probably the scariest vector was the kid in Everett who was tested and returned to school before his test came back positive.
    You're more likely to get the virus if you're around more people with it who are coughing and sneezing. Younger people generally exhibit less symptoms so they are less likely to spread the virus. Younger people generally spend more time around younger people and older people generally spend more time around older people so older people are generally more likely to contract it.

There are other ways it spreads (people touching their face then touching you, touching a surface with the virus on it) but again these things happen more frequently when you're in spaces frequented by people with heavier symptoms.

I'm not sure if having a stronger immune system makes you less likely to actually contract the virus but that wouldn't shock me either.
    Emoterman said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

This sounds scary and obviously we don't want to spread the virus to more carriers when it can be avoided but kids are largely unaffected. The teachers would be the real concern here, as well as anyone with compromised immune systems.

There's plenty to worry about with Coronavirus. Schools are not especially high on the list.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/10/coronavirus-is-mysteriously-sparing-kids-killing-elderly-understanding-why-may-help-defeat-virus/
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Right this is true. Where has anyone heard different? Asking for a friend
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    edited March 2020
    dnc said:

Emoterman said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

You're more likely to get the virus if you're around more people with it who are coughing and sneezing. Younger people generally exhibit less symptoms so they are less likely to spread the virus. Younger people generally spend more time around younger people and older people generally spend more time around older people so older people are generally more likely to contract it.

There are other ways it spreads (people touching their face then touching you, touching a surface with the virus on it) but again these things happen more frequently when you're in spaces frequented by people with heavier symptoms.

I'm not sure if having a stronger immune system makes you less likely to actually contract the virus but that wouldn't shock me either.
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-is-getting-sick-and-how-sick-a-breakdown-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

It appears you're correct, but science has no idea why.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Came for hot virus talk. Was not disappoint.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    Listen to this for your edumacation and hot virus talk.

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/michael-osterholm