Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Marti Gras has started...

Comments

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,956
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

as a Houstonian you should know how to spell Mardi Gras but im gonna chin you on this one

Sorry...bit distracted today...should have caught that. But you are correct.

You see the follow-up to it? It was almost as good...
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

as a Houstonian you should know how to spell Mardi Gras but im gonna chin you on this one

He should also know that - Mardi Gras starts tomorrow, not today.

The various Krewe parades have been running all month leading up to Shrove (Fat) Tuesday which marks the end of fun before Ash Wednesday kicks off the month of no-fun for Catholics. The parades are more appropriately part of the Carnivale celebration before MD2020

Mardi Gras superiority guy.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

The various Krewe parades have been running all month leading up to Shrove (Fat) Tuesday which marks the end of fun before Ash Wednesday kicks off the month of no-fun for Catholics. The parades are more appropriately part of the Carnivale celebration before MD2020

Its been lit this year since an Endymion float ran over somebody
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,654
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Is Mardi gras racist yet? Has anyone asked AOC
  • Options

Its been lit this year since an Endymion float ran over somebody
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT0Zw88xUIE

yeah, well, shit happens.

Get all crunked up and people die. It's the NOLA way.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Let me say this, to all of that.

We had a management retreat in NO back in 2000. We stayed in the French Quarter in a nice hotel (for the area) one side of which fronted Bourbon Street. We had a hospitality suite that had a large armoire with drawers full of beads. Shockingly, HR decided we're never going back there after our Corporate Affairs VP had a picture of him taken (by me - nobody has a sense of humor any more) coming out of the Hustler store and posted at another event later in the year. I thought it was funny; so did he.

Anyway, I digress. We were down there in late March ... after Mardi Gras ... during the week. And even then, the partying was non-stop and full on fucking nuts. I knew then and there that I lacked the ballz to party at actual Mardi Gras. I knew I didn't have what it takes. I have too much regard for my record, my body and my personal safety. Partying in the French Quarter on some random Tuesday and Wednesday night with a bunch of corporate stiffs was more than enough crazy for me.

So, at this point in my life, I'll live with hearing how it went from others. Too much for me. Nutty fucking place as it is. Loved it, loved the food, loved all of it, but putting that scene on steroids is well over my head.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

We had a management retreat in NO back in 2000. We stayed in the French Quarter in a nice hotel (for the area) one side of which fronted Bourbon Street. We had a hospitality suite that had a large armoire with drawers full of beads. Shockingly, HR decided we're never going back there after our Corporate Affairs VP had a picture of him taken (by me - nobody has a sense of humor any more) coming out of the Hustler store and posted at another event later in the year. I thought it was funny; so did he.

Anyway, I digress. We were down there in late March ... after Mardi Gras ... during the week. And even then, the partying was non-stop and full on fucking nuts. I knew then and there that I lacked the ballz to party at actual Mardi Gras. I knew I didn't have what it takes. I have too much regard for my record, my body and my personal safety. Partying in the French Quarter on some random Tuesday and Wednesday night with a bunch of corporate stiffs was more than enough crazy for me.

So, at this point in my life, I'll live with hearing how it went from others. Too much for me. Nutty fucking place as it is. Loved it, loved the food, loved all of it, but putting that scene on steroids is well over my head.

It was fun to do when I was in my early 20s. I have no interest in doing it now. I enjoy JazzFest now, but my Mardi Gras days are over. Now that being said, if you knew someone who was a local, and you were attending a bunch of local Mardi Gras parties with people who have grown up there, I'd be in.
  • Options

The French Quarter is for tourists.

Garden District (shout out to the Manning family) is the shit. Get up toward Tulane along the St. Charles line, super old antebellum mansions, world class food. Just the best city for eats and drink.

French Quarter is good for maybe a walk through on the way to Frenchmen's Street and the Marigny neighborhood (lots of pride flags in that stretch, NTTAWWT). Don't go too far north or you're in Treme and you will die unless you have an apostrophe in your first name.

Love me some NOLA. Except between Esplanade and Elyssian Fields Ave. Joe Biden wouldn't even be safe there.

• Options
    SFGbob said:

It was fun to do when I was in my early 20s. I have no interest in doing it now. I enjoy JazzFest now, but my Mardi Gras days are over. Now that being said, if you knew someone who was a local, and you were attending a bunch of local Mardi Gras parties with people who have grown up there, I'd be in.
    Don't go to the Quarter for Mardi Gras parade - get up on St. Charles Ave or out toward Lakewood. Some of the daytime parades out in the non-French Quarter are actually quite family friendly. Eveybody is carrying go-cups but The Throbber survived his parents drinking like Don Draper, so it won't harm the 21st century kids a bit to see mom and dad sloshed on occasion.

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,956
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2020
    Way back in my single days I use to go the first weekend of Mardi Gras with my sister-in-law's women's soccer team...there used to be (still maybe?) a women's adult tournament the first weekend. Got disinvited going forward after an incident the third time around...apparently having their star player (not my sister-in-law) bringing a trash can from the hotel room to throw-up in during a game did not endear me to the team.

Agree on the local scene...some good times.

Apparently the parades have gotten more humorous and political...or I just didn't notice before:

• Options
    NOLA is fucking great politically. Just a total shitshow. The Dems pretty well have local gubmint locked down but there's enough good ol' boys drinking whiskey and rye to keep it hopping.

I'd go to NOLA 1000 times over Vegas. The Throbber doesn't gamble so that does shit for me. But NOLA has food, drink and music up the Ying Yang twins.....SWIDT?

Rock me some Sazerac, a little Carousel bar and then Laissez les bons temps rouler over at The Spotted Cat.

• Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

SFGbob said:

Don't go to the Quarter for Mardi Gras parade - get up on St. Charles Ave or out toward Lakewood. Some of the daytime parades out in the non-French Quarter are actually quite family friendly. Eveybody is carrying go-cups but The Throbber survived his parents drinking like Don Draper, so it won't harm the 21st century kids a bit to see mom and dad sloshed on occasion.

Galveston has a great Mardis Gras.