Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2020 USC recruiting class scientifically proven to be MOST DISAPPOINTING EVER

https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/2/6/21125807/recruiting-history-average-rankings-college-football

Some questionable methodology in weighting moving from #10 to #5 equivalent to moving from #100 to #95, but interesting to look at nevertheless.

Only 4 teams with higher averages than UW outperformed them by more than UW (Auburn, Oregon, ATM, Clemson). USC from #5 to #55 is pure hilarity.

Comments

• Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Just noticed the 2nd worst mover is Illinois. What the fuck, Lovie?!?
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Well...They didn’t do anything with a top rated recruiting class so maybe they’re trying something different
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    The best part of USCs recruiting is that it’s even worse than the rankings suggest. They just recruit a bunch of redundant skill players that aren’t going to even help them or worse recruit players that they don’t even plan on using (Yary) for purely purposes of image. Laziest recruiting ever, basically just ignore the line of scrimmage.
  • Options
    OreDawg said:

The best part of USCs recruiting is that it’s even worse than the rankings suggest. They just recruit a bunch of redundant skill players that aren’t going to even help them or worse recruit players that they don’t even plan on using (Yary) for purely purposes of image. Laziest recruiting ever, basically just ignore the line of scrimmage.

Your post intrigued me, so I went to check about their class composition... They have 13 commits, but one is a kicker, so really 12 to consider. Of those 12, 6 are OL with 5 tackles and 1 guard! Then they have 3 DTs and #1 overall draft pick OT's son TE Jack Yary.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I was doing backfips when they decided to hang onto helton (again). They could very well botch their next hire but I'd rather not chance it. From the second they mistakenly took the interim tag off the guy my hope every season is that he channels his inner Peter Gibbons and works just hard enough not to get fired.

With that said, I see everybody piling on usc and hardly anyone actually thinking critically. Helton has signed top 5 classes before. I'm sure he's a somewhat decent recruiter. I understand this particular article was just dealing in numbers with no commentary.

It just fucking annoys me when I see so many know it alls using 2020 usc TBS numbers to justify why helton should be fired. No, he should (already) be fired because he's not a good coach. But this year's recruiting is 99% on the usc administration for being completely incompetent.

For the last 2 years everybody has been operating under the assumption that the guy's a dead man walking. Then they give a meek vote of confidence and say we'll give him one more year. Which is completely handcuffing them right now and you can't expect any coach to thrive under this scenario. Either shit or get off the pot. I may be in the minority on this and I'm definitely not a helton TYpologist. But this recruiting mess is not helton's fucking fault.
  • Options

They had just 13 commits: 6 OL, 3 DL, 2 WR, Yary, and a K.

Seriously fucking bizarre. They didn’t try, like, at all.

Emoterman said:

OreDawg said:

Your post intrigued me, so I went to check about their class composition... They have 13 commits, but one is a kicker, so really 12 to consider. Of those 12, 6 are OL with 5 tackles and 1 guard! Then they have 3 DTs and #1 overall draft pick OT's son TE Jack Yary.

Suck my 53 seconds bitch!!!!

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

They had just 13 commits: 6 OL, 3 DL, 2 WR, Yary, and a K.

Seriously fucking bizarre. They didn’t try, like, at all.

It's a shame their taking the positions that take longest to develop... when next coach brings in 5 star talent it will get up to speed. Wish he'd signed a 7 wr, 6 db class
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Ps,

USC has 3 kickers on scholarship. Following the UW mold of lots of special teamers on scholarship.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Well, we've found a new definition of rock bottom: looking up and wishing you were USC up there.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    it's so brutal there.

they take 3 star or lower trench players and helton says "games are won and lost in the trenches ..." - he's so tone deaf and stupid or crazy like a fox pulling in millions that he actually spews out that crap and expects everyone to accept it? really? I guess the only ones that matter to him are the AD and the prez ...

amazing.

in the past usc would pull in on the regular 4*/5* trench players and it was an expectation. nowadays they pull in 3* afterthoughts and he makes lemonade out of lemons.

the other mantra that's been blown out of the water from the usc doog-equivalent is that "usc recruits itself ..."

... nope, it doesn't. case in point. it was painful to read the usc boards and have the same old dummies and delusional people say the same triggering shit in "in clay we trust" and "don't worry, usc recruits itself"