Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

KJ Costello likely heading for Mississippi State

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

Meek said:

Surprised about the lack of interest in Sears from us and other big tim programs. I was doodging hard for him as a commit and thought he do well at USC.

i think we tend to doog for recruits we've never really seen if Biggins gives them a 4* rating (like Sears), but he fell to eleventeenth on the USC depth chart pretty quickly for some reason and he never seemed to get any interest outside of local LA area D2 schools so maybe he's just not that good.
    He was the best QB on his team
    That seems like one of those things that has been repeated so much online and on the radio that it has become true. Nobody actually has any clue and most of the evidence points to that not being true, but people still say it.

If he was really that good, he would have tons of suitors right now. I doubt Sears was really the best QB on USC. Slovis is good.
    He looked better than JT Daniels in the action he got.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

salemcoog said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

If they haven't promised the starting job to Costello if he comes here he's not coming here.

He's not sitting the bench his senior year.

Every school he talks to is going to promise him the starting job. Any school he goes to is also not going to give it to him if he's not the best option. Leach took a grad transfer just last season. Gage Gabrud, Cuog legend in the spring. Rode the pine his senior season while Gordon started.

Lake will tell Costello anything he needs to tell him, but that doesn't mean shit. And unless Costello is a moron, he knows this.
    Imagine comparing KJ Costello to Gabe Gabrud
    Plenty of hyped grad transfer QBs have ended up not getting the job or only a timeshare.

Hornibrook (Wisconsin to FSU), Wimbush (Notre Dame to UCF), Stevens (PSU to Miss St), Chryst (Stanford to Tenn), Speight (Mich to UCLA), Dawkins (Arizona to Indiana).

1to392831 has it right. You promise the job but once you get him on campus it’s best man wins.
    Were any of those guys actually hyped though? I think Costello has a better resume than all of the guys listed. Rather easily.
    Hornibrook, Speight, and Chryst all had success as starters before losing the job at least partially due to injuries the following year.

Hornibrook’s 2017 stats are comparable to Costello’s 2018 and he was only a soph. And he led Wisconsin to a 13-1 season. Chryst also looked very good after winning the Stanford job in the second half of 2016 before getting injured in 2017.

Wimbush was a big recruit and one time starter at Notre Dame who it was thought would be a good fit in Heupel’s offense at a lower level. Interestingly he started the opener but then lost his job to a true freshman.
    Hornibrook was the worst QB on a good team in the last 20 years. He literally struggled to throw a football.
    This. He threw tons of picks and was really shitty. That Wisconsin team played nobody but Ohio State and Michigan and he still threw 15 picks in a run heavy offense. He was terrible.
    I’m not crowning him I’m pointing out he was the starter on a 13-1 team (that whooped @creepycoug’s canes in the Orange Bowl) and he ended up barely playing at FSU. We can parse out the advantages of Costello over Hornibrook but that’s not the point. Their are many similarities to their career paths and records up until their grad transfer.

I want Costello for the competition but there should be a real competition for the job. Lots of smoke around the Stanford program but seems like they wanted to move on from Costello. Now ask yourself why.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Wiltfong Dong changed from MSU to cloudy.

Typically does that before flipping it because he’s confirming sources.
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Here’s y’all a good one I get from my LSU and Bama brethren that’s really close to
    Me...y’all know we jank each other, like heavily and both have upper hand, til they get beat, which is not often but fun all the same and we are in the end united... I get this often and expect since I relinquished here, and there’s a stake in the current coaching and qb amongst other things, I will see this again....fire at Will....or Daryl, or whoever you can hit....

Goin along with the thread and quite funny...

• Options
    I thought it funny

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

For all the dummies that don’t want Costello, think of it this way... Would you be happy if he went to Oregon? I’m surprised we are probably going to get him. I thought he would end up at LSU, Alabama, Oregon, or Michigan. This would be huge and I’m excited about it.

Who doesn't want Costello? Other than Citrus?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SECDAWG said:

I thought it funny

Don't ever change. If nothing else it pisses off ol splitskin.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

SECDAWG said:

I thought it funny

Don't ever change. If nothing else it pisses off ol splitskin.
    Ha. Hear ya. And it’s true....

Until they don’t...hard place to be relevant for sure.

Show to Abbot and Costello

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    DNC purple dong
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    proof said:

Without reading let me take a shot:

KJ Costello was on campus today and met with new OC John Donovan. From there Coach Donovan laid out the plan for the new offense and showed KJ the weapons that would be at his disposal. The coaches let Costello know he was a priority and with him at the helm the Pac-12 title would be in play. It's safe to say the Huskies made quite the impression on Mr.Costello.

By 'in play' he meant they would be 0-0 at the start of the year so anything is possible.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

For all the dummies that don’t want Costello, think of it this way... Would you be happy if he went to Oregon? I’m surprised we are probably going to get him. I thought he would end up at LSU, Alabama, Oregon, or Michigan. This would be huge and I’m excited about it.

Came off a little wrong. Some aren't as excited as I am about it. I'm excited because we need a QB badly and he is the best one available. I wasn't very optimistic about winning more than 8-9 games without him. I think we could be very good if he plays at the level he did in 2018. To beat a Bama or Clemson we need great QB play, but to win the Pac 12, we just need good and Costello is capable of that. I'm a lot more excited about Costello than I ever was about Eason.
    I predicted Costello would be conference OPY prior to 2019. I publicly (here) poo-pooed the preseason love for Herbert/Oregon, predicted Stanford would outperform the low ranking the media was given them, predicted Washington would win the conference, and couldn't wait for Oregon fans to demand Cristobal's head on a plate.

Ended up being the most Pumpeiiish post I've ever made, as EVERY single one of those predictions blew up in my face. Well, not every, as Herbert still sucked.

Which is to say I'm a fan of Costello. I am FOR the staff bringing him in if they can. Where we differ is that I'm not so convinced he's a sure bet, and I'm not as sure that what's already on the roster is garbage. A lot of being successful in sports is being in the right place at the right time. There's a decent chance Costello/Stanford/2018 was the right place at the right time. There's at least a reasonable chance Morris/Sirmon/Washington/2019 was the wrong place at the wrong time. And Garbers is a complete unknown. Huntley was one of the worst QBs in the conference in 2018, then all of a sudden there's a different OC (out of Vanderbilt, no less) and we'd have all given our left and right nuts for him in 2019.

That's all I've been saying. The amount of certainty in these threads lately reminds me of my 2019 season prediction, and that didn't work out too well for me... I want Costello because he increases the odds of finding somebody good. I'm not willing to take it further than that. i'm open to one of the young guys surprising me, and I'm definitely open to Costello coming in and laying an egg (this team can only hurt me so many times...).

And bringing him in nearly costs you nothing. "Nearly" because there may be a political price to pay, as bringing in a mercenary always increases the risk of sowing discontent in the room and prompting one or two of your young guys to the portal. What I really don't want to end up with is a situation where we're starting the 2021 season with two freshmen quarterbacks and nothing else. I still think it's worth it to bring in Costello and let the chips fall. 2021 is next year's problem.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Came off a little wrong. Some aren't as excited as I am about it. I'm excited because we need a QB badly and he is the best one available. I wasn't very optimistic about winning more than 8-9 games without him. I think we could be very good if he plays at the level he did in 2018. To beat a Bama or Clemson we need great QB play, but to win the Pac 12, we just need good and Costello is capable of that. I'm a lot more excited about Costello than I ever was about Eason.
    I predicted Costello would be conference OPY prior to 2019. I publicly (here) poo-pooed the preseason love for Herbert/Oregon, predicted Stanford would outperform the low ranking the media was given them, predicted Washington would win the conference, and couldn't wait for Oregon fans to demand Cristobal's head on a plate.

Ended up being the most Pumpeiiish post I've ever made, as EVERY single one of those predictions blew up in my face. Well, not every, as Herbert still sucked.

Which is to say I'm a fan of Costello. I am FOR the staff bringing him in if they can. Where we differ is that I'm not so convinced he's a sure bet, and I'm not as sure that what's already on the roster is garbage. A lot of being successful in sports is being in the right place at the right time. There's a decent chance Costello/Stanford/2018 was the right place at the right time. There's at least a reasonable chance Morris/Sirmon/Washington/2019 was the wrong place at the wrong time. And Garbers is a complete unknown. Huntley was one of the worst QBs in the conference in 2018, then all of a sudden there's a different OC (out of Vanderbilt, no less) and we'd have all given our left and right nuts for him in 2019.

That's all I've been saying. The amount of certainty in these threads lately reminds me of my 2019 season prediction, and that didn't work out too well for me... I want Costello because he increases the odds of finding somebody good. I'm not willing to take it further than that. i'm open to one of the young guys surprising me, and I'm definitely open to Costello coming in and laying an egg (this team can only hurt me so many times...).

And bringing him in nearly costs you nothing. "Nearly" because there may be a political price to pay, as bringing in a mercenary always increases the risk of sowing discontent in the room and prompting one or two of your young guys to the portal. What I really don't want to end up with is a situation where we're starting the 2021 season with two freshmen quarterbacks and nothing else. I still think it's worth it to bring in Costello and let the chips fall. 2021 is next year's problem.
    Costello likely raises the floor of our qb play. If one of the younger guys beats him out then they are playing well. If not, then we still have at least a deep ball capable game manager.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’ll wait to hear from the crooting experts about Costellos HS film to decide if I think he is good or not.

Do we know how many black parents he has?