Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Idaho F &G kills 200 elk

Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://newsradio1310.com/idaho-fish-game-killed-more-than-200-elk-near-shoshone/&ved=2ahUKEwiHssXY-prnAhVLpZ4KHTahBIQQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw26H8PWpofAa1Frc-BECtCR

Pretty rough for the elk these days. Wolves push them close to people to escape them and the state brings in night time sharp shooters. Just pay the landowners losses and move on.

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They fed the meat to the pour? The fuck. IFL elk. I would bought it up.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If they have too many animals, they should turn things over to WDFW for a while.

Problem solved. Works for any overabundance of fish, too.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,727
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I guess we are the only predator left so its up to us?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I guess we are the only predator left so its up to

Lots of wolves that way. Some elk have responded by congregating closer to human populations because the wolves are generally too skittish to follow en mass. But the elk were doing crop damage. It irks me a little that they just used their own government sharp shooters to shoot them at night. I'd rather they paid the farmers losses and tried scaring them away or opened it up for the hunters that pay their dues every year and have it fair chase. They did donate the meat but I came across another article on this that showed alot of waste with the meat which is to be expected in a mass shoot and clean. Individual hunters are going to take their time and strip that to the bone in most cases.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It seems like it's not the predators pushing the elk into domesticated lands. Its changing habitat. Deer and especially elk populations were bloated by logging. The feds turned around and all but stopped logging in 1989, all those clearings that led to thriving elk eventually turned into impenetrable stands of shit timber, and the elk moved into ag and residential areas to find food.

Get out there and thin some timber and scatter some small clear cuts and find a new balance. That's all that's needed.

The little set of towns I lived in for 44 years never had elk wandering in until about 10-15 years ago. My dad, who lived there for 57 years, said the same. You didn't expect any chance of seeing elk below about 1500' elevation, or basically until you were well into the National forest. Now there are at least three large herds tromping around in peoples' back yards 365 days a year.

There hasn't been a wolf within 100 miles of this area yet.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

It seems like it's not the predators pushing the elk into domesticated lands. Its changing habitat. Deer and especially elk populations were bloated by logging. The feds turned around and all but stopped logging in 1989, all those clearings that led to thriving elk eventually turned into impenetrable stands of shit timber, and the elk moved into ag and residential areas to find food.

Get out there and thin some timber and scatter some small clear cuts and find a new balance. That's all that's needed.

The little set of towns I lived in for 44 years never had elk wandering in until about 10-15 years ago. My dad, who lived there for 57 years, said the same. You didn't expect any chance of seeing elk below about 1500' elevation, or basically until you were well into the National forest. Now there are at least three large herds tromping around in peoples' back yards 365 days a year.

Western Washington this is true. Not wolf habitat. Too thick they can't run the elk. Wander into Idaho and Mt and it is quite different these days. I don't mind the wolves but it pisses me off that they introduced them into areas of the best elk herds who weren't born hard wired to survive that without putting in the checks and balances for the wolves ahead of time. Things are beginning to balance a little better with the elk learning and some regulated wolf hunting.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Western Washington this is true. Not wolf habitat. Too thick they can't run the elk. Wander into Idaho and Mt and it is quite different these days. I don't mind the wolves but it pisses me off that they introduced them into areas of the best elk herds who weren't born hard wired to survive that without putting in the checks and balances for the wolves ahead of time. Things are beginning to balance a little better with the elk learning and some regulated wolf hunting.
    WOOF!!