Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sa'Vell Smalls, 6* 2020 BUCK, Seattle (Kennedy), WA (SIGNED)

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,939
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

dtd said:

I love how every year we talk about how we have these 4 stars in our class that should be 5 stars and we try and convince everyone and then we get our first 5 star since Shaq fucking Thompson and people are really out here trying to make a case that he isn't a 5 star hahahah

"DE/LB Sav’Ell Smalls really underwhelmed this week. He wasn’t as athletic as advertised and he was dwarfed by many other defensive ends. He had a solid game and is an active player but is he a five-star?"
    The lack of athleticism is concerning. If he was underwhelming because he was raw or because he had no pass rushing moves, that’s fixable. If he’s a mediocre athlete combined with some prima donna in him, it’s not a good combination.

If he was going anywhere but UW he would be a bust. 5 star, but he’s really a mid level recruit for us. There has been nothing in two years to be especially optimistic about.
    Looks like he needs to hit the weights and he looked visibly gassed.

I think he has some intangibles you can’t teach.

Work ethic? Does he want it bad enough?

Can lake or other coach motivate and coddle him into a Star... dare I say a man.... an nfl prospect.

They obviously feel they can and so LIPO.
    I thought his size and athleticism were the intangibles that couldn’t be taught. News that he is nothing special in this categories is not good.

These games are meaningless, but I would feel better if he dominated, as would everyone here.
    Size and raw underdeveloped athleticism is what Im thinking his intangibles are.

Lack of weight training/strength and lack of condition don’t always go hand in hand with Believed intangibles for Smalls.

Hence the rest of what I wrote.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He's not explosive at the snap and doesn't seem to have a ton of answers when he's engaged by a lineman.

But he's still pretty good. He's been getting blown by TBSers for so long that I don't think he's been hungry for a while, ever?

Less the TBSers, his father figure coach was tweeting and telling him the disrespect was unreal when he was ranked 2nd in the nation.

2nd best high schooler in the nation disrespected at an unreal level. Yeah, no. That'll get in your head.
    CAREFUL

It’s one of the reasons why @ dawg206 will always be blocked by me. The guy begged for Sav’ell but is constantly downplaying anything Sav’ell does, constantly attacking Garfield & inner city programs. He’s the type of fan I don’t ever want associated with UDUB.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

We? have used thousands of words to say something very simple. Savvy will be great if deep down Savvy wants to be great and is willing to work his ass off for it. All the tools you need are there. The training table, technique coaching and strength coaching will be available. Does he want to be great and will he work his ass off for it is the only unanswered question. We should know in 2-3 years. That's it.

Stay tuned?
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

We? have used thousands of words to say something very simple. Savvy will be great if deep down Savvy wants to be great and is willing to work his ass off for it. All the tools you need are there. The training table, technique coaching and strength coaching will be available. Does he want to be great and will he work his ass off for it is the only unanswered question. We should know in 2-3 years. That's it.

I'm loathe to post the Donkey-Kong Suh picture again so I won't, but I'm more optimistic that considering that picture along with him enrolling this month, being local and having FSP at his disposal over the summer after some reality has been dropped on him, we should be able to have a pretty good idea if we should be crowning his ass this year. If his contributions are meager, I think that bodes pretty poorly for him reaching his potential.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye said:

So you're saying EWIWBI?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

He's not explosive at the snap and doesn't seem to have a ton of answers when he's engaged by a lineman.

But he's still pretty good. He's been getting blown by TBSers for so long that I don't think he's been hungry for a while, ever?

Less the TBSers, his father figure coach was tweeting and telling him the disrespect was unreal when he was ranked 2nd in the nation.

2nd best high schooler in the nation disrespected at an unreal level. Yeah, no. That'll get in your head.
    Even so, if the disrespect was really unreal, you would think he would be motivating Smalls to work his ass off to get better and become the clear cut #1. That didn’t happen. Smalls was a possible meal ticket for Joey Thomas. Nothing else.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Emoterman said:

Swaye said:

I'm loathe to post the Donkey-Kong Suh picture again so I won't, but I'm more optimistic that considering that picture along with him enrolling this month, being local and having FSP at his disposal over the summer after some reality has been dropped on him, we should be able to have a pretty good idea if we should be crowning his ass this year. If his contributions are meager, I think that bodes pretty poorly for him reaching his potential.
    College football players are big my guy.
  • Options
    TheironshiekTheironshiek Member Posts: 167
    5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    Final rankings for rivals tomorrow, is he inside the top 20 or outside the top 20? I’m guess 24.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Final rankings for rivals tomorrow, is he inside the top 20 or outside the top 20? I’m guess 24.

Biggins had a "dont kill the messenger" post on doogman a few days ago re: Smalls and so I'm pretty sure Savell will be dropping out of 5 star range but you never know
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Biggins had a "dont kill the messenger" post on doogman a few days ago re: Smalls and so I'm pretty sure Savell will be dropping out of 5 star range but you never know
    I trust uw twitter will unleash hell
  • Options
    TheironshiekTheironshiek Member Posts: 167
    5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    Yea Biggins had some unflattering things to say about him recently but also said the ceiling is pretty high if he puts in the work. They played him at 3 different spots during the all star game. Seems a little harsh to judge him on how well he played when he wasn’t in one spot long enough to do anything.
  • Options

THE DISRESPECT
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Rivals he'll be outside for sure.

Sticking with my prediction that he'll end up a 4 star on Rivals (and maybe a pretty big drop), 5 star but dropped some on 247, 5 star on ESPN.